Desk Jobs - What to do?

Options

Replies

• Predsfan2013
    Predsfan2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I workout after work, park further away from the building, I walk around the block during my 15 min breaks. Anything I can do to move.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I work 8-5 m-f too.

I unload all the shipments that come in (carrying boxes to and from the warehouse - I used to let the technicians do it, now I only ask them if the box is too heavy for me, or we break it down and do it together)
    Walk at lunch
    We have a bathroom upstairs and downstairs - I try taking the upstairs one (unless time is of the essence, which with 8-10 glasses of water a day sometimes it is!)
    Walk the dog at night (It's my parents dog, but sometimes if I feel I haven't moved enough i'll take him)
    I also have yoga 4 days a week (Monday and Friday after work, and Saturday morning and Sunday night)

I also have a fitbit so I track it - if I notice one hour I didn't move much according to my fitbit I get up and just walk around the office aimlessly. And if my phone rings I run back to get it (It's a small office, but still then there's a little jog!)
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Google "deskercises" and see if there's any that you could do while at work. I work at a desk all day and occasionally do some of these, as well as stretching. I also walk during my lunch break and go to the gym after work and on the weekends. I'm a legal assistant, so 99% of my work involves sitting at a computer. I know how frustrating it can be. I also do coffee protein shakes before the gym to give me the energy I need to get a workout in.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk also! I try to walk to the bathroom that is way down the hall. I try to walk on my lunch break at least a mile. I'll take the steps when I go up or down stairs for something. Never take the elevator. But, most of the time have to sit at my desk. Any little bit I think helps! Good luck!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,964 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the restroom, I stick in a 5 minute walk, and since my workplace is hilly, it actually gets my heart moving. Since I appear to be hurrying on these little breaks, people perceive me as a great worker when I'm really slacking. :wink:
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I walk before work almost every day, but if I can't get that in before work, I walk at lunch time. There are a ton of sidewalks in my business park, so I take advantage of them. I also make a point of walking around the office several times a day and take the stairs instead of the elevator.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I work out after work. One of my co-workers bought a mini cycle that fits under her desk and she uses it throughout the day. The one below cost about $50.

41reiTyS3lL._SX342_.jpg

That's awesome!

I also workout after work. I was just wondering what I could do whilst at the office. I wonder if we're allotted 15 minute breaks - though I'm sure they wouldn't care if I did - and take a walk around the building.

Great tips - thank you!
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the restroom, I stick in a 5 minute walk, and since my workplace is hilly, it actually gets my heart moving. Since I appear to be hurrying on these little breaks, people perceive me as a great worker when I'm really slacking. :wink:

Haha - nice one!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I let having a desk job be my excuse for years. I no longer let it be an excuse. I find time to exercise...I either get my *kitten* out of bed early and go run...or I run and PT at lunch and then just eat at my desk while I'm working. I also hit the gym 3 in the evenings 3x weekly to lift. I also do little things to improve my NEAT....I take the stairs, I park further away from the store when I go grocery shopping, stuff like that.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I work out for an hour to an hour and a half before work each morning. Then throughout the day, I will get up and take walks around the clinic to check up on people and see how things are going. That's about it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I exercise after work and on weekends.

Yep, this.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. I don't need to tell you all of that!

Use your breaks/lunch (if you can) to do a few stair runs or walks - but not if you sweat, then I don't think your cube neighbors will like that very much.

I work out after work and am just active on the weekends. It seems to work the best for me.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Lots of desk job folk here. Love it. Yes, I workout after work. I'll either hit the gym or a HIIT workout at home or outdoors. You can do it.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I got the 11:30AM to 8PM Shift, during my lunches, I take 15 minutes to eat, then 15 minutes to take a brisk walk around the work place. Feels good, loose 100 calories, and wakes you up.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I walk through every line of cubicles on my floor, I take the stairs as much as I can, and I have hand weights at my desk to keep my strength training up a bit...which reminds me, I need to up the weight on those a bit now....
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Walk on 15 minute breaks if you have them, and I workout on my lunch hour.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Fidget constantly...drink a ton of water so I have to go downstairs to go to the bathroom very often...I do my squats at my desk once a day...my lunch is for going to the gym (or a walk at the very least) as I can eat my food at my desk while I work (not during my lunch). I can still be very productive and do all of this (it just cuts into my MFP time :P)
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm at a desk all day too and the exercise ball/standing work stations are not an option. I do get to go downstairs (2 flights) a few times a day and I use my 15 min morning and afternoon breaks to take walks around our office "neighborhood" when the weather is nice.

I also work out for a good 45-60 minutes per evening upon arriving home. M-F with a little cardio on Saturday, Sunday is rest day.
  • joypeaceloveall
    Options
    I walk to work (it's only 2 blocks, but 2 blocks is something). I get up and walk to the break room, rest room, visit my friends' desks, etc. Try to walk a little at lunch or after work. There is a gym in my office building as well as in the building where I live that I go to sometimes. Pool at my apartment building. Just being here in my office I can do some stretching against the wall or wall pushups.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just started walking at lunchtime. I walk to work so why not at lunch? Just walking to work I walk a mile a day...walking at lunch adds an additional mile and a half.

It sounds like you are already on the right track with water and using the stairs to check email. Oh and even though it looks funny, see if you can get a large stability ball in to use at your desk instead of a chair, it does wonders for your posture. I've been wanting to do that for a while, I just haven't yet.

I workout before work if I can get up early enough but if not, I sweat it out in the afternoon.