Shopping Bill

Options
2»

Replies

• cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I make my own baked goods from scratch with ingredients that I buy in bulk. When properly stored, this will last a long time and it's cheaper to buy in bulk. For chicken/fish, I buy large family packs, portion out, and freeze. I also stock up on frozen veggies which you can usually get for $1/lb. The only fresh produce I buy is green leaf lettuce, bananas, and in-season fruit. I've found it cheaper for me to eat healthier, home cooked meals than eating convenience foods.
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I live alone, but mine has gone down... I think even though I buy more expensive foods (like high quality cheese), because I'm portioning them correctly they last a lot longer. I have also cut down on the typical expensive items (like halving my glass of orange juice in the morning) which makes a noticeable difference.

I estimate I spend about $70 on groceries every ten days or so.

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I don't eat very much meat and tofu/eggs are a lot less expensive.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    We seem to pay a fortune here in the UK for healthy food don't we?! I get round it by interspersing my healthy options with some 'fillers'. So, noodles, rice, pasta and tinned tuna or certain meats are the way I get around it. Also, for frozen goods I always shop in Farmfoods instead of the major supermarkets as their frozen chicken and fish are so much cheaper! Home Bargains also have some great prices on the staples so if I can get there, I can stock up on some cupboard essentials for a much better price than if I bought them in a supermarket! :smile:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Grocery bill up, restaurant bill down. Shrugs.
  • oskybosky4
    oskybosky4 Posts: 62
    Options
    No, we don't spend on confectionary, biscuits, sweets, fizzy pop, crisps, cakes, chocolate, salted snacks, pies and pastries. We buy only the fresh food we know we will eat that week. We don't eat as much meat. we eat less bread and less butter. There are only the 2 of us so its easier than if we had a family. So on the whole I would say we are spending less each week.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As many others have said, my grocery bill has gone up but my overall expenses have gone down considerably. I used to get to work, buy a coffee and sometimes a pastry at Starbucks (~ $12), then grab a sandwich and drink or a food truck lunch ($15), then stop and get takeout for me and my husband on the way home ($35). So per day, I was spending around $62 and two of those meals were just for me--my husband was spending money on his breakfast and lunch too. If he was averaging the same I was, our combined total would be about $89 a day.

Now, I shop at an organic market and try to buy local, sustainably farmed goods whenever I can. My husband and I eat breakfast at home now and take either leftovers or organic frozen meals in for lunch. Our grocery bills average out to about $200 a week now.

$200 a week is a lot for two people, but way less than $89 a day.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your bill has gone up......but isn't it worth it??!

All them fresh veggies, lovely fruit, and healthy meals everyday......surely you feel better eating really well???

Maybe cut down on something else that you don't really need?????

I love nice food, yum!!!
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    I find that when I cook at home I spend a fraction of what I would spend in a meal out. One effective way I find of saving money is on meats. Some silly things like if you buy the chicken breast separate it costs about the same as the whole chicken. So I try to butcher things home. The cheaper beef and pork cuts are usually the ones that are best in stews, so I end up making huge amounts of stew. They go well with pasta, rice and potatoes, you can freeze it and it will last you a long time.
    There are lots of good ways to save money and eat healthy, if you want to add me I would be happy to share some recipes :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    We spend less, since I am eating considerably less than I was before. I've always been a "sale shopper". We eat whatever is on sale that week. Additionally I have 84 sq feet of raised beds. Crops this year so far: lettuce, spinach, arugula, asparagus, pole beans, bush beans, beets (and beet greens) and radishes. Also have plenty of fresh herbs growing. In a few weeks I'll have more tomatoes, zucchini and cucumbers than I'll know what to do with. City gardner!
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    My fiance and I spend about $100-$135 a week on groceries. Not too bad I guess.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Grocery bill up, restaurant bill down. Shrugs.

This is my house as well. In the end it balances.
  • audaleee
    audaleee Posts: 3
    Options
    Same situation as many others: groceries up, additional spending is down. I used to grab a Wasabi or EAT soup for lunch and now I'm sticking to the salad in my canteen. The £4 I save every lunch time goes towards eating healthier at home. I've cut down my restaurant spend since coming out of a relationship too :laugh:
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yes healthy stuff is most costly but i do eat less. But I agree it kind of sticks that food is so much money :(
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't think ours has really changed that much. I'm a pretty good cook so we never bought pre-packaged garbage in the first place. Sure Halibut and Salmon is more expensive than hamburger meat but that's not what I was cooking with in the first place. Fruits can be expensive when not in season but if you stick to seasonal stuff you can do very well. Whats really saving me money is no trips for Lattes, muffins, lunches out. That by far make my monthly spend less.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I cook for me and my roommate. I think we spend about $80 (60 Euros) a month for the 2 of us. You have to shop around. Frozen veggies are just as healthy (well depending how you cook them) fresh.

Look for sales and stock up and freeze if you can. Like I saw plain greek yogurt on sale and I needed it for a tuna salad I was going to make so I bought it a month in advance and froze it and it looked/tasted just fine.

Eggs are super cheap. 12 of them are like $1.50-$2.00. That's 12 breakfasts for only $2 (at most). Think creatively. What can you do with the things you have available to you? Look through your cupboards and see what you can scrounge together. Beans are quite filling so look for some bean meals and you can get the dry stuff or canned and they do go pretty far and delicious :)