What should I eat before an early morning run

Options
I'm not sure if I should post this here or under food and nutrition, so I'll probably post it in both places. Anyways, I love outdoor running, but I usually do it in the afternoon or night, after I've been eating all day. But I wanna wake up early tomorrow morning and go for a morning run. I don't want to eat a full meal first, but I don't want to go on an empty stomach, I want to eat something light. I'm thinking just an apple. Will this fuel me enough for a half hour run? How long after eating an apple should I wait to run? Would drinking water just before my run give me cramps, or will it give me energy? Sorry for the silly question, thanks for your help!

Replies

• johnglenn1973
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat anything and just a sip of water before I do. Is there a reason why you don't want to go on an empty stomach?
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try something light like rice cakes or a banana. Try to stay away from high fiber foods which tends to fill people up.
  • courtneytrisha
    courtneytrisha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym all the time in the morning on an empty stomach and I felt like I had just no energy at all
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's one of those things unique to the individual. In other words... you'll have to find out for yourself what's best for you.

I know. Very helpful. :laugh: But true. I know some people who can only run on an empty stomach, and I hate running on empty. Heck... I could probably run WHILE eating and not have any problems.
  • angiecampbell37
    angiecampbell37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, it all depends on each person. I sometimes do a half scoop of protein, with water and ice. Or half a banana and a few almons. My experience to not have peanut or any other nut butters before a run. Weighs me down!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd need anything for a half hour run, but if so - maybe just a banana or a protein bar.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I run on empty and eat later. But that's just me :)
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I like coffee with milk, half a banana or some yogurt. I feel crappy with nothing.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a piece of toast with peanut butter
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I find I run better on an empty stomach, but a banana 1/2-1 h before works ok too any more than that and I feel like I will throw up. For half an hour run you should be fine on nothing, especially if you have eaten carbs in your dinner the night before :)
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Something compact, dried fruit/banana/nuts.
    I cannot find enough energy for a morning run without eating something. But I don't run well with a big ol' blobby gut either.
    Small food, high calorie.
    I love whole wheat/grain fig bars (Nature's Bakery).
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just drink some green tea. Other than than I pretty much don't eat before a work out or I end up regretting it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For half an hour I'd just have a cup of coffee. When I do 1-3 hours I do a coffee green smoothie with a little hemp in it, I don't believe in protein powder.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. I like to run on an empty stomach, but often want something to give me a lil fuel. I now stick with applesauce, around 4 oz, and about 1/2 glass of water.

This article might be of help: http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Eat-Before-Run-24108225,
  • courtneytrisha
    courtneytrisha Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyones input!!!! I'm starting to think I might just have a tiny shot of espresso and maybe some applesauce or a bit of yogurt!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyones input!!!! I'm starting to think I might just have a tiny shot of espresso and maybe some applesauce or a bit of yogurt!

I'd do the yogurt or some milk/cream if you have espresso. It may be just me, but black coffee with no dairy would give me a pretty acidic upset stomach on a run. Enjoy the lovely morning!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I run on empty first thing in a morning, i just have a milky coffee before I go. I did have a fruit yoghurt once but nearly lost it half way through my run - not pleasant!

Enjoy your morning runs, the best time of day IMO :)
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You are probably getting tired of the "empty stomach" crowd, but that is usually what I do also, especially for under an hour. One thing I have started doing is peeling and sectioning a clementine and putting the sections in an open sandwich bag in a loose pocket (all my running shorts have loose pockets now :happy: ) so it won't get crushed. Then I can grab a section or two every couple of miles.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Generally, for morning runs of 10km or less I'll just have a cup of coffee and head out the door. If you're eating a reasonably balanced diet your stored glycogen should see you through a half hour run easily (and the more you run the better your body gets at storing glycogen).

If you feel the need for a little something keep it light (a banana, some yogurt) ; many people find running with food in their stomachs uncomfortable. It comes down to trial and error to find what works for you.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Prior to my injury, I only drank a little bit of water before my morning run. Depends on 'how early' in the morning I guess but for me if I was eating anything before a run, it always cramped by stride. Pun intended. Nowadays if I don't do yoga in the morning, I cycle and before cycling I will usually have an apple.