Baring It All: The Barefoot Running Trend

Options
deckerp
deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
Baring It All: The Barefoot Running Trend

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/baring-it-all-the-barefoot-running-trend-2337336

mr_2c4b6b69dbdb72.jpg?ug_____DUbSF0D6z

Have you seen the alien shoes spotted on celebrities recently? Matthew McConaughey and girlfriend Camila Alves wear them to work out, actor Channing Tatum runs in them, and Heisman Trophy winner Eddie George sports them for beach football.

Just what are these funky, rubber glove toe socks? They’re Vibram FiveFingers—shoes that are meant to mimic the experience of running without shoes, yet protect your feet from dirt and debris. Why would people want to run without their cushy trainers? Running without shoes can strengthen your feet, ankles, and lower legs and improve balance. Some say modern running shoes are to blame for injuries. And one man wrote an immensely popular book that concluded as much.

Vibram started making the five-toed shoes in 2006, but the trend really picked up steam last year, following the publication of Christopher McDougall's book “Born to Run.” The book describes how Mexico’s Tarahumara Indians have become some of the greatest long-distance runners in the world despite running barefoot or in sandals fashioned from tire rubber. McDougall chronicles an ultramarathon race in Mexico’s Copper Canyons attended by a group of Americans including “Barefoot Ted” McDonald, who either ran sans shoes or in FiveFingers, in case of sharp rocks. The author argues that we’d be better off without the souped-up shoes marketed to us by giants like Nike and Adidas, which he says have done nothing to prevent injuries. The book made “The New York Times” bestseller list, and now TMZ is photographing celebrities in their very own lizard shoes.

According to CNN, the FiveFingers have become so popular that the company is having a hard time keeping them in stock—and stopping counterfeiters from selling knock-offs online.

Some barefoot devotees simply like the sensation of feeling the surface they’re running on while others swear up and down that ditching traditional running shoes has helped them prevent injuries. While there’s no scientific evidence to support the latter claim, we do know that running barefoot or in barefoot-style shoes like the FiveFingers or Nike Free changes one’s running mechanics. When runners aren’t wearing shoes with built-up soles, they tend to land in the middle or toward the front of their feet rather than on their heel and researchers believe that such midfoot or forefoot striking results in less impact on the body. But as Susan Paul, M.S., exercise physiologist and program director for the Orlando Track Shack Foundation says, “To date, there are no studies indicating that running shoes contribute to injury or, conversely, that barefoot running reduces injury or makes you run faster.”

If you’re thinking about shedding your shoes, consider these guidelines:

Barefoot training is not for people who are just starting to run or returning from a long layoff—it’s something to slowly incorporate into an existing running regimen.
If you have persistent or serious foot problems, consult your podiatrist first.
Ease in slowly. Paul advises starting with a few minutes on a flat, relatively forgiving surface once a week. Grassy fields, smooth roads, and soft trails qualify. Running on sand might be tempting, but barefooting newbies should stick to wet sand at first as the unstable soft stuff puts a lot of torque on your joints and is much harder to run on.
Listen to your body. “Barefoot Ken Bob” Saxton, founder of runningbarefoot.org and finisher of more than 70 barefoot marathons, says, “Luckily, your feet are sensitive, which is a good thing. Listen to them and they'll keep you from doing something stupid.”
Has anyone run barefoot or in minimalist shoes like Vibrams? What did you think? If not, would you ever try it? Why or why not?

Replies

• hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    Those look pretty cool. I wonder if they are comfy?
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'd give them a try.....for walking anyway.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My husband loves these shoes. He wears them all the time. They were featured on Dr. Oz awhile ago.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I talked to my shoe guy about them since I run all the time, and he said that those shoes are great for people that have almost perfect running feet. I can't wear them because I overpronate when I run (in my left leg), so it would actually make my pain worse. Oh well.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I talked to my shoe guy about them since I run all the time, and he said that those shoes are great for people that have almost perfect running feet. I can't wear them because I overpronate when I run (in my left leg), so it would actually make my pain worse. Oh well.
    Good to know; I under pronate so they probably wouldn't be good for me either. As it is, I wear asics and they're awesome. So I guess I'll stay with them; why change them if it works, right?
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I run in these and run barefoot, and both have really helped keep me moving the past few months. The Vibrams are comfy, but do take some getting used to.

I overpronate but the benefit of barefooting is my feet correct for it. I have had *less* problems barefoot-running than running with "orthodically correct" shoes and custom inserts prescribed by my doctor and a podiatrist. For me, the "orthodically correct" shoes limited the flexibility in my mid-foot to either side and put more impact on my ankles. Barefoot or minimalist shoes and proper running technique let my foot flex more evenly and distribute the impact across my whole foot, ankle, and leg.

It's not for everyone, but for those frustrated by foot/ankle/knee/back pain, I suggest they try barefoot running to see if it helps them . . .
  • cmsimps27
    Options
    My best friend wears them to work and she swears by them. I hate the feeling of ANYTHING between my toes and the thought of trying them on makes me cringe lol
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I would try them and I have a feeling I will like them :) But unfortunately they are not available where I stay :(
  • pdreino
    pdreino Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm not buying it. Seems like an evolutionary step backward! What's next, running on all fours? And then....if I only had a tail, my balance would be so much better......If I could get my eyes moved to the side of my head I'd see the traffic better.....:)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I started wearing vibrams about a month ago. All the research I read made sense to me and I’ve always had a very light natural stride so I went for it. I love them. For me it is much easier/natural to run in them than walk around in them, although I do both. Easing in is important, they really do tire out your calves & lower legs when you first start. I run 3-4 miles in them currently, but I have to rest the next day, as my legs are very tired.
  • disneyfetishboy
    Options
    My best friend wears them to work and she swears by them. I hate the feeling of ANYTHING between my toes and the thought of trying them on makes me cringe lol

This is just one brand of "minimalist" shoes. The others don't feature the "foot glove" feel, but do have similar qualities (ultra-light, no support, zero-drop between heel to toe). A few examples include the Terra Plana Evos, Softstar Run-A-Mocs, Pankas, and a few more. New Balance has some minimal shoes coming out next year (the Minimus), as do most other big shoe companies who are now just catching on.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm not buying it. Seems like an evolutionary step backward! What's next, running on all fours? And then....if I only had a tail, my balance would be so much better......If I could get my eyes moved to the side of my head I'd see the traffic better.....:)
    Really?
  • pdreino
    pdreino Posts: 6
    Options
    Really?

Jokes! Still wouldn't run barefoot though. To each his own.:happy:
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ...Seems like an evolutionary step backward! What's next, running on all fours?...
    I thought it was funny. :laugh:

But I also somewhat agree. A shoe was made to support and protect your feet and allow you to exercise without injury. On the other hand I've also read of the benefits of walking on cobblestone. It forces your small muscles to become more involved or something. It's a better calorie burn. But I don't think they advocate running a marathon on cobblestones and I think the same would go for these things.

I'm sure the shoe companies will jump on the opportunity for some sales, but I'm not so sure how practical they are.

They're.....interesting.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I overpronate but the benefit of barefooting is my feet correct for it. I have had *less* problems barefoot-running than running with "orthodically correct" shoes and custom inserts prescribed by my doctor and a podiatrist. For me, the "orthodically correct" shoes limited the flexibility in my mid-foot to either side and put more impact on my ankles.

This happened to me too - I've got running shoes that are meant to "correct" overpronation but all they do is make my ankles ache and my feet feel like they're going to sleep. I'd try these for sure!
  • disneyfetishboy
    Options
    But I also somewhat agree. A shoe was made to support and protect your feet and allow you to exercise without injury. On the other hand I've also read of the benefits of walking on cobblestone. It forces your small muscles to become more involved or something. It's a better calorie burn. But I don't think they advocate running a marathon on cobblestones and I think the same would go for these things.

I'm sure the shoe companies will jump on the opportunity for some sales, but I'm not so sure how practical they are.

They're.....interesting.
    For sure, you've got all of the big name shoe companies moving quickly on the barefoot trend now (e.g. the Nike Free, the Brooks Green Silence, & the New Balance Minimus). They are just late to the party because it was easier to market shoes as "ultra cushioning", "gel filled", "super stabilizing" to the masses before. And the last thing they'd want to do is advocate that people run barefoot - then they'd need no shoes at all!

Anyways, it's good to see new players (Terra Plana, Vibram) get into the market now, if only to see a little extra competition and creativity!
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a pair and I love them!
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    I think they look awesome but wonder if I could use them with my bunion :(
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try them for walking too. Do you think it would give good grip for climbing?
  • disneyfetishboy
    Options
    I'd love to try them for walking too. Do you think it would give good grip for climbing?

I'm not a climber, but some of the models are purportedly good for climbing/bouldering: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/productSupport/usage.cfm