In Need Of Low Cal Recipes

Options
I'm From The South And Accustomed To Cooking Greasy Fried Foods With A lot Of Salt, Cal & Carbs Im Making A LifeStyle Change But I Have No Clue On How To Cook Healthy Foods So Far I've Played Around With Bake & Steamed Fish If Anyone Has And Recipes Please Share :)

Replies

• ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com OR emilybites.com. Lot's of great recipes!
  • adsdfjksdf
    Options
    There's many principal things you can do that will make slow changes.

First don't ever eat fried food. I mean I know it's obvious but just don't do it. Baking/steaming is very good as you stated.
    If you want to pan sear fish with olive oil that's good as well. You can keep it simple and cheap by getting tilapia and just putting lemon garlic, parsley (or any of your other favorite herbs).

To avoid using lots of salt. Look for things that add flavor, black pepper, spices, herbs, etc.

Another thing to cook healthier is just making baked vegetables. Get some eggplants, zucchini, squash, slice them in medium-long slices, drizzle olive oil, black pepper, (whatever you like). And just pop them in the oven.

Try to avoid bad carbs and opt for things like quinoa over other rices. You can make a tex-mex dish with this, I add corn, red peppers, cumin, and black beans. Look it up for how to cook

The biggest thing I suggest is focus on eating a lot of veggies. I stuff my face with carbs/meat which is why I'm overweight. I'm learning to switch that. If you make half your plate veggies, and eat slowly I guarantee you won't have enough room to eat more carbs and bad things.

Eating slowly is key, and allow yourself 10 minutes to decide if your full before getting the next plate. Another tip is drinking water 30 minutes before. Sometimes we're really thirsty, not hungry.
  • ItsMacMaine
    Options
    Thanks for advice :)
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com OR emilybites.com. Lot's of great recipes!

Yep I was going to recommend skinnytaste too :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go all the way from coated & fried to plain & steamed. There are lots of in-between healthy recipes.

The web is your cooking friend. Google "oven fried" and you'll find lots of ways to replicate those fried foods with much less fat. You can bread and bake the fish, chicken, pork, green tomatoes, etc.

As far as salt goes, herbs and spices are the way to go to keep a lot of flavor while using less salt. Happily, here in the South (I'm in SC) herbs are easy to grow pretty much year round. Not all are winter-hardy but many are. When you are ready to cook with them, just go out to the pots with your scissors and cut off what you need. A single Italian parsley pot can keep you supplied all winter long. Chives, marjoram, sage, and thyme all survive the winter here. Basil will grow all summer.

Rosemary will grow more than you can possibly use but make sachets of it with bay leaves and caraway to keep the Palmetto bugs away in the summer when windows are open and they sneak into "the best of houses." (We don't have roaches in South Carolina. We have Palmetto bugs -- roaches the size of your big toe!)

You can still use ham to flavor your veggies just choose something like the lean parts only of a slice of country ham. A couple of ounces can flavor lots veggies. I also make ham broth from the bone when I do cook a ham. I can use this later to add flavor to boiled beans, soups, etc.

As soft, starchy foods go, grits are pretty low in calories if made with water. You can use less cheese if you flavor the grits with herbs and then grate the cheese on top instead of stirring it in.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! Thanx xxx
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    honestly i use pinterest for tons of recipes! some of them you may need to change up to make low cal but its worth it. plus you can see recipes from all the sites above and pin them so u know where they are at for future use :)
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This Southern girl will never ever give up some things like green beans cooked with what every Southern cook has in a container by the stove that comes from cooking a breakfast meat- I shall not name it out loud it is so shameful! I have given up sweet tea and deep fried everything, besides an occasional helping of fried okra. I try and oven fry things if possible and have new favorite foods like roasted brussel sprouts- 10 times better than regular ones. Take baby steps so you can ease into this lifestyle change and not have withdrawal symptoms. I roast, braise, sear, even steam and try to stay away from frying and anything with the word casserole, creamy, cheesy, decadent...
  • BenW1980
    BenW1980 Posts: 9
    Options
    Here is my recipe for Turkey & Cheese Muffins:

You will need:

1 cup cake tray enough to hold 10 cup cakes or in this case muffins.

500 grams of RawTurkey Mince
    40 grams of Porridge Oats
    20 grams or Red Chilli
    85 grams of Lactose Free Cheese
    10 grams of Goji Berries.

Add the turkey into a big glass bowl.
    Add the Porridge Oats into the bowl
    Cut the chilli in half removing the seeds and the stalk and continue to cut up the chilli into small pieces then add to the bowl.
    Grate up the Lactose Free Cheese and add to the bowl.
    Cut up the Goji Berries and add to the bowl...
    Add any seasoning of your choice... I like to use Paprika and Oregano, Salt and Pepper,

With a big spoon mix the contents of the bowl together until everything is mix up nicely and is firm or you can use your hands to mix with.

Next grease up the cup cake tray with a little olive oil.

After that proceed to make 10 individual muffins with the contents of the bowl that you have just previously mixed together.

Pre heat oven 375F or 190C

Put the tray into the oven and cook for 30 minutes.

Make sure muffins are piping hot before serving.

Depending on the size of your muffins you should be able to make 10 servings.

each serving come out at approx:

113 Calories

total fat: 5.4 g
    sat fat: 2.3 g
    poly sat: 0.9 g
    mono unsat: 1.4 g
    sodium: 109.6 mg
    potassium: 11 mg
    total carb: 3.3 g
    fiber: 0.5 g
    sugars: 0.7 g
    protein: 12.7 g
    vitamin a: 1.7%
    vitamin c: 0.9%
    calcium: 27%
    iron: 0.5%

Serve with a side salad of your choice.

You can also add up all the macors of your own ingredients and divide that number by the number of muffins you make to get the amount of calories for each one...

enjoy...