MYTH: Constant Grazing Boosts Your Metabolism

Options
2»

Replies

• seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I switched from 3 meals a day to 6 and have lost over 90. Ill take personal experience over any study.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    When broscience battles broscience, does anyone win?

^^^^^^
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Instead of saying this or that is the truth or a lie, test it for yourself and report the results. We have all the tools in the world to do this. You can post up a link to an article and try it, then get back and report your results.

What works for one may not work for another.
    THIS^^
    I have lost 54 by grazing...mooooooo
  • myrealname
    myrealname Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't agree with her article, I was surprised that she or her team would put it out there. Since I've started this journey, I've lost 25 pounds and the grazing on healthy snacks helps to keep me away from all the treats that are brought into the office.

I am not surprised at all at any of the opinions here and agree. I believe we are all different.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll at least read and consider sources such as this (National Institute of Health) but not the various and sundry bloggers and online magazines that usually get cited.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't agree with her article, I was surprised that she or her team would put it out there. Since I've started this journey, I've lost 25 pounds and the grazing on healthy snacks helps to keep me away from all the treats that are brought into the office.

I am not surprised at all at any of the opinions here and agree. I believe we are all different.

This comes from people who make entertainment out of crash dieting and marathon workouts with injuries. I don't think they are exactly scientifically minded, unless The Biggest Loser is some secret experiment with America's TV watching public as the subject population. I don't think it is, though, because I never signed a consent form and I'm pretty sure it's required for human subjects studies these days.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Six small meals a day will not offer a metabolic advantage. Also, skip breakfast if you like.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry... If I don't, I turn into a monster. Sometimes I am only hungry three times a day and sometimes I'm just hungry all day long. Sometimes I get tired after eating... and sometimes I just get hungry again.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    This coming from the lady that has her 12 week challenge people "refeed" with the exact same amount of calories once per week... :huh:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I think eating repetitively through the day makes me get into a 'snacking habit' and I end up eating more. So whether this is true or not, I do better when I don't graze.
    In Italy and France (where the food is amazing), my family members are all fairly thin and healthy - they don't snack!

I was thinking the same thing! I got to visit France a few years back and my host family ate three meals a day and did not snack at all! They joked about how they see Americans eating all the time. We went to a restaurant and I asked for a "to go" box and they all looked at me like I was crazy. My host mom said "That is why you Americans get hungry, because you don't eat all your food at one sitting", lol. It was so funny but I could not imagine wasting the food that was not eaten. But, I rarely saw any overweight people there. It was pretty amazing!!

Off-topic but it just bugs me to hear about other's joking about Americans. I don't know, it just seems rude to me. ~ end vent ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This coming from the lady that has her 12 week challenge people "refeed" with the exact same amount of calories once per week... :huh:

LMAO WHAT?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    truth! A lady at my gf's work is on the plan. So instead of eating a "healthy" 1200 cals she is allowed to have some "bad" foods but still only 1200. Plus 6x a week cardio. Awesome plan :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    truth! A lady at my gf's work is on the plan. So instead of eating a "healthy" 1200 cals she is allowed to have some "bad" foods but still only 1200. Plus 6x a week cardio. Awesome plan :laugh:

Brb eating 1200 calories then doing a refeed at 1200 calories.

LMAO
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Meh. I eat 2 main meals a day, then after dinner "graze" until 11:30pm or until I reach my calorie goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am so glad all you people are saying grazing is okay... I was getting worried hearing about all these "bad" grazing habits.
    I bring snacks to work to munch on throughout the day... fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. I eat when I'm bored, but if I can eat veggies and good things instead of a bag of chips, I don't see anything wrong with that...