Gaining weight while exercising?

Options
Im upset I know that weight fluctuates about 5 pounds in a day, but since Ive been working out I lost a good amount and now Ive gained a lot of it back! I have changed a lot of what I eat and really working hard on getting rid of sweets. Is this normal? Im just sad cause I know your body wont change over night but still its depressing! Is there anything I could do to make it go down not up?

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    cut your sodium and pound the water.....
  • rhkenji
    rhkenji Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You gain muscle weight as you work out and as muscles weight more than fat, you'd still see a difference in your appearance and measurements even though you might see some increase on your scale.

Water is also a factor, I don't really pay attention to -/+5lb difference/day. I'd measure weekly and avoid doing it daily to measure my actual goal

Think that you need to lose fat, not weight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    losing weight is not linear. you will go down, you will go up. don't weigh in every day, and especially don't weigh in multiple times a day. weighing in once a month is best.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Yes that is normal, and if you are exercising and building muscle, its actually what you want. I go through phases of this constantly as I am losing: for a while I'll lose NOTHING or gain a few pounds, and then drop about 5 lbs suddenly after a week or two. It all depends. Recently I'm in the same frustrating position as you. I gained a few pounds, but at the same time I notice I can increase my shrug and leg press by another 50lbs and hike up a mountain faster without being as winded...progress! Try to track it by exercise gains when this happens, its also progress.
  • Perick76
    Perick76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat...muscle is denser than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. So start measuring inches lost to better track progress if you're exercising a lot. It sounds like you're getting some water retention though so you've probably had some high sodium days. It sucks but it happens, just keep up on your water intake and mind your sodium intake.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What about measurements? How are your clothes fitting?
    Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:

:heart: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.

:heart: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.

:heart: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.

:heart: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.

:heart: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.

:heart: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.

:heart: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.

:heart: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.

:heart: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom

:heart: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.

:heart: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)

:heart: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day!!!
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    tbh, i always gain weight when i exercise regularly(sooooooooooooo hungry...need fooooooooooooooooood).
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Im upset I know that weight fluctuates about 5 pounds in a day, but since Ive been working out I lost a good amount and now Ive gained a lot of it back! I have changed a lot of what I eat and really working hard on getting rid of sweets. Is this normal? Im just sad cause I know your body wont change over night but still its depressing! Is there anything I could do to make it go down not up?
    do you log all your food?