What NOT to say to someone who's trying to lost weight?

Options

Replies

• Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    "Don't get too skinny" is what I often hear. I do live in Houston, TX where being overweight is very much more acceptable than in other parts of the world.
  • p1ppers
    p1ppers Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow, some really cruel stuff here, it's hard enough losing the weight off our bodies without carrying the weight of guilt people impose on us to boot. Let it go, I've been told most of these things mentioned her myself,. I guess we all just have to prove them wrong and keep on our journey. wow
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Don't you just hate it when people find out your trying to lose weight and they have to give you their opinion of what you should or shouldn't do? Or maybe tell you that you look too thin and should stop, or you're no fun anymore cause you won't go out to eat with them now? What have others said to you that really got your goat?

"Oh, I had a friend who lived next to someone who swears by juice cleanses! Oh, and my Powerbalance bracelet keeps me from overeating! You should try this! Dr. Oz says it's good."

On the plus side, disposing of a body burns a lot of calories.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    "Really? I don't see the difference."

"Well, if you saw me without clothes... but we both know that's not happening."
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    "meand" they just don't get it they aren't on the journey with you and can't take time to really care about it in my opinion. If someone truly cares about your successes be it weight loss or anything else Being supportive is the most important part to me I want to try to be as positive as I can even if I have a rough week or day. I have only had a few upsetting things said to me but nothing I can't handle in general people have been incredibly supportive I would love to see your posts feel free to add me I will be a cheerleader haha
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh God, are you still on "the plan?"
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    OMG you haven't lost that much!

I admit I don't know what my top weight was. But, I do know what I couldn't fit into and I know I have pants that didn't fit and now they do. I also know how about how many calories I cut in October even though I wasn't counting exact numbers because I wasn't on a diet, just trying to keep track a bit and see where I could cut and what I could do to eat healthier. So, anyway yes I really did lose about what my ticker says, give or take 5 pounds.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I had a customer tell me to cut out all bread. I've had people ask if I was starving myself, that I don't want to take my weight loss too far (still over 200 pounds), a few people asked me if I had weight loss surgery, & a few say some of my food is weird.

I also had some people say oh you're eating pizza? Or you can eat pizza, candy, and chips? I always tell them that I am not on a diet, but counting calories & if something fits in my calories then if I want I can eat it.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    "where's your *kitten*?" *runs to gym does a million squats*
  • adjoachante
    adjoachante Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yea thats just wrong
  • adjoachante
    adjoachante Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "here just have one bite (of this triple chocolate fudge brownie) it won't kill you":noway:
  • Phx99
    Phx99 Posts: 69
    Options
    I called my dad for Father's Day, and told him I'm working out, and eating better.

I got "good thing, because they way you were going, you wouldn't live long enough to see your son get married". (he's 10, btw.)

And this is why I don't share info with a lot of people.
  • Phx99
    Phx99 Posts: 69
    Options
    not sure why this posted 2 times...edited this one cause I can't figure out how to delete it
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a 65 year old lady yesterday who is in no way overweight...Asked her how she was doing....She said excited. I'm getting this removed! And pinched the tiny bit of extra skin around her waist. "She said you know, you should just have surgery and be done with it. It's only 6-10,000 dollars."

Really? I've lost 53 pounds in 6 months.....without surgery.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Look at you eating your healthy *kitten*!
    Dont you get tired of eating that healthy stuff?
    Awe cmon just have some pizza with us!
    One doughnut won't ruin your life.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You have such a pretty face if you could get that fat off ya you'd be fine!!~ Grrrrr :frown:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    When I havnt worked out in a week or so and ppl say "that didn't last long" or "giving up already"
    when I don't log my food as much they say "yea you were a little obsessed ther for awhile"

meanwhile they are still looking ridiculously fat and havnt worked out ever.
  • Vness813
    Vness813 Posts: 24
    Options
    I find the people that tell you to eat crappy food with them are generally the same people that will poke fun of you if you're overweight. It's like they want to see you fail

Oh another issue is as a society, we all (most) believe eating is a social event. Food is to fuel to body, not a social event...but try telling that to people and they think you're crazy...just ignore and stick to your goals.

I totally agree!! Why does getting together with people always have to revolve around meals and food! UGH makes it so difficult! I just like having the gatherings at my house so I can make healthy food....or I take healthy food so I can eat that if I need to and then eat something else when I get home if need be.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you want to eat that ? no I want to stare at it and see if it does a trick , dumba**

Why aren't you exercising today ?

Because I already exercise 3 times a week and not doing it today will not derail me in my weight loss process.

and finally you should join a gym ,class

Sure when I no longer share a car with my husband and when my children are older and I have a job to pay for it.

My girls are 15 months and her sister is 19 months older.

I barely have to time to shower let alone exercise most days .

Exaggeration but still ..

yeah people are odd sometimes I have to let it roll of my shoulders they don't know unless they have been there.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I lived on a deserted island with nothing but fruit ^_^ My biggest complaint is from my step bro's "Quit starving yourself man!" Or "How long you gonna keep on not eating?"