any binge eaters who have over come it?

Options
I am a horrible horrible Binge eater.
I binged my way up to 123lbs when i was starting at 110lbs, I would love to get back down to 110 so I could fit in my clothes and feel good about myself again but its really hard overcoming binge eating.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has over come it and could lend some helpful words. or would just like to share a story?

Replies

• as543
    as543 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    http://www.runsforcookies.com/

thats not me, but i find her blog really inspiring
  • tancovat
    tancovat Posts: 2
    Options
    i don't know if i'd say i *overcame* it, but my psychiatrist put me on prozac a week ago and i haven't really binged since then. of course, if you're not depressed or severely eating disordered, medication is probably not a good choice.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds silly but try telling yourself everyday that you don't binge eat anymore. It has helped me more then I can tell you. Feelings become thoughts which become actions. Try to change your thoughts about yourself, your feelings will start to align and your actions will follow.
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    Im still battling with it myself on my PMS days:((
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    It helps me to plan out my days in my tracker in advance. If i know exactly what I'm eating through dinner, I know my calories are already spent. When I don't track ahead of time, I'm more likely to eat bad stuff. Different things work for different people but maybe try to plan out your tracker for a few days and see if it helps.
  • skmo8
    skmo8 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would maow down a big bag of chips without thinking. I'd also eat an entire large pizza given the chance. Two litre of pop? Sure, why not
    There were two reasons for this, near as I can figure: I wasn't in a good mood and ate to feel good; I wasn't eating enough throughout the day.
    When I started tracking my eating habits I began looking at it like game. Trying to hit the mark and get as much nutrients as possible. This has helped keep me from binging, since doing so would push that number into the red. That's not to say I have been perfect. But I am progressing. It doesn't bother me too much when I go over since I get to try again tomorrow (that's that positive thinking crap).
    Long story short, I feel better about myself when I can see that I'm taking care of my health which motivates me not to binge (even when I want to).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I eat enough now; and I don't binge anymore.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've noticed that even though sometimes I get the urge to chow down, I'm satisfied with less since I've been tracking. Also, it helps to remind myself that the food will still be there the next day. I try not to deny myself anything and just make healthy changes and work on moderation since my overall diet isn't that bad :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yea I used to binge every weekend from listening to the clean eaters. My advice: don't deprive yourself of foods you love for long periods of time, make them fit into your goals.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I too am a really bad binge eater. There are three things I've done to help me control binges. If I feel like I might be entering a binge I'll go for a walk around the block if I'm at work or take the dog for a quick trot if I'm at home. Second is I'll drink a lot of water throughout the day which helps to cut cravings. And finally, I'll have one meal a week, that is a complete binge fest / cheat meal / kind-of-gross-that-much-food-fits-in-my-body kind of meal. And I'll set my mind to wait for that meal and consider it a reward for a week (sometimes two?) of clean eating and have zero guilt when I finish it.
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I met with a therapist monthly for about 8 months. Might seem extreme to some, but I needed some help.

My insurance didn't cover it; I paid out of pocket and just determined for myself that the expense was worth it.

I'm not going to say I'm 'all better', whatever the hell that even means. But I'm not eating the same as I used to, and I've learned to confront some of the issues and memories that were triggering me to use food as a coping mechanism.
  • EllieLarson
    Options
    I use to be a horrible binge eater. I could clean out my refrigerator in one setting when I was depressed or bored. Seriously, I would be so sick but I would keep eating. I joined TOPS ... Taking Off Pounds Sensibly in Nov. & the accountability really helps me. I started out at 197 lbs & I am down to 157.5. I still have some bad moments but at least they don't last days, weeks or even months! You can conquer this!!! It is possible ... just keep trying ... NEVER give up!
  • intothepavement
    intothepavement Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There's actually a group on here that's just for people battling binge eating, just search "binge" in groups.
    I'm part of it, feel free to add me if you want, I'm always around for support!

Also I'll recommend two things which have been helping me:

1. The book "Brain Over Binge"
    2. "The Quit Binge Eating" Podcast

Hope those suggestions help!
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There's actually a group on here that's just for people battling binge eating, just search "binge" in groups.
    I'm part of it, feel free to add me if you want, I'm always around for support!

Also I'll recommend two things which have been helping me:

1. The book "Brain Over Binge"
    2. "The Quit Binge Eating" Podcast

Hope those suggestions help!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
  • FixIngMe13
    Options
    Im still battling with it myself on my PMS days:((

Yep... a week before I start my cycle I will not only be a sobbing mess, I will be eating whatever I can get my hands on for that week... sounds extreme, but it is true.
  • FixIngMe13
    Options
    i don't know if i'd say i *overcame* it, but my psychiatrist put me on prozac a week ago and i haven't really binged since then. of course, if you're not depressed or severely eating disordered, medication is probably not a good choice.

When I was on antidepressants I never binged... never had this issue. When I went off of them because I couldn't afford them out of pocket anymore (no insurance) I noticed not only did my depression get worse again, but my eating hit an all time high... especially at night when I was alone. Nothing helps, so maybe now that I have insurance again I can go back on something to help my depression which in turn will help my binge eating. Something worth looking into.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm a big binge eater, especially during my period, and I would binge on processed carbs.

I started read this book and it has helped and it gives some concrete tips on avoiding binge eating and I highly recommend it:

"How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too: Stop Binge Eating, Overeating and Dieting For Good Get the Naturally Thin Body You Crave From the Inside Out (Binge Eating Solution)" by Josie Spinardi <-- you can also find her on youtube
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    http://www.runsforcookies.com/

thats not me, but i find her blog really inspiring

Thanks for that! Really enjoy her blog!
  • FixIngMe13
    Options
    I'm a big binge eater, especially during my period, and I would binge on processed carbs.

I started read this book and it has helped and it gives some concrete tips on avoiding binge eating and I highly recommend it:

"How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too: Stop Binge Eating, Overeating and Dieting For Good Get the Naturally Thin Body You Crave From the Inside Out (Binge Eating Solution)" by Josie Spinardi <-- you can also find her on youtube

Oh man... I was just saying the same thing in another blog...lol. How funny you said the same exact thing. I'm about to start my cycle...and I'm at my worst binge eating during the week before. I don't binge on what others seem to binge on... like cookies/cakes/chips... I binge on Ramen Noodles, Baked Potatoes, Spaghetti.... all of those heavy starchy carbs! :/
    Thank you SO much for the book ideas... I love to read...and I'm always looking for books to help me along this painful journey.

:flowerforyou:
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was a major binge eater in high school and college (20 years ago) but overcame it somehow. I don't know how. One day I just decided I hated how I felt and deserved better than how I was treating myself. I over focused on healthy eating and exercise.... but that made me feel good!