Hormones outta control!

Options
Hi all. I'm 49, almost 50, and have been gaining weight steadily as (I assume) the result of a hysterectomy in April. Up about 12 pounds from my normal weight. VERY frustrating! I work out regularly, and generally eat pretty healthy. I found this site as an app on my Android phone. I decided to make the effort to actually keep track of everything to see if I'm really doing what I need to be before I go to the doctor and complain about my body being out of control! :) Love the site so far, lots of foods in the database and easy to track workouts.

Would love to hear from others my age about your experiences with meno/hormones and their effect on your weight.

Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I had a kid at 41 and my uterus decided I was 25 or something. I'm now in my 50s and I'm still no where near menopause. I guess that's good in that I am building up muscle, which you tend to lose after menopause, but it's really annoying to know I can still get pregnant at this age and to get Aunt Flo every month like clockwork when I used to be incredibly irregular and some years I only ovulated maybe 4 times.

Then again, I have been *really* emotional lately. Maybe "the change" is starting after all. I don't really know what to expect, to be honest. I don't know what kinds of hormone replacement therapies they have or what the pros and cons are.

Did you learn any of that as part of having your hysterectomy?
  • taleci
    taleci Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow, this could be my story. I had a hysterectomy the last week in March 2010 and have also put on exactly 12 pounds. To be honest, I am not nearly as active as I was pre-surgery, so I suspect that is part of the reason. But to counter the lack of exercise I have cut back significantly on my calorie intake.
    The big issue is that I am just so tired all of the time. And in the downtime I had after surgery, my muscles seem to have comepletely melted. I have no strength left in them at all. I went to my doctor and they did a full blood screening; I am waiting for the results.
    I just found this app today so I am hoping it helps me to track over the long term and encourages me to get my strength back. Good luck to you too!
    ~leslie
  • leeannsb
    leeannsb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes! The WICKED tiredness! I'm a teacher so we just started back to school last week. I am so exhausted every day that I can barely drag myself to the gym! But I do, and that's what is frustrating. I THINK I'm doing everything right, but apparently I'm not. Grrrr......