Eating before a workout

Options
I have been working out in the mornings since that's the only time of day I really have time to dedicate to it. I like to eat something before working out and want to get some more ideas so I have some variety. So:

What is your favorite thing to eat before a workout?

And,

How much time to you let pass between eating and working out?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    some say eat before so you have fuel...... then others say exercising in the morning on an empty stomach burns more fat. So many opinions.. it is nuts.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Usually a piece of fruit or a yogurt
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I generally just eat an apple about 30 minutes before I workout. The carbs are digested quickly so I can use the fuel right away.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am careful about what I eat - it depends on the workout and the intensity of it. Mostly I will eat an apple about an hour before a workout. Post workout I load up on protein!
  • a56jml
    a56jml Posts: 2
    Options
    My doctor told me there was a study that eating before and after working out actually improves weight loss. I try to eat a banana or cereal before working out and then something small afterwards. I'm usually not hungry right after I work out but I'm trying to follow this theory.
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    I agree with the reply regarding having an apple before working out. Anything easily digested is the best, I like to have a banana.
  • tryskinni
    tryskinni Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I'm running or cycling 90 minutes or less I'll do a larabar, coffee, and water. I eat this about 15 minutes before I run. Depending on what I'm doing I'll alternatively eat oatmeal, oatmeal with almonds, bagel & almond butter (for 10-15 miles), or just a banana/mini larabar for lighter workouts.

I was recently on a cruise and couldn't find food at 5am. I ran 6 miles without food and while I was fine, I had a pounding headache at the end. Not sure if that was the lack of food.