Healthy potluck ideas?

Options
Hey, I'm going to a potluck on Sunday and would like to bring a couple healthy, easy but interesting dishes. Anyone have any ideas to share with me?

Thanks in advance!
-Steph

Replies

• happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A big dish of lightly steamed yellow squash and zucchini, maybe with some grape tomatoes sprinkled around; good hot or cold. And a giant platter of chilled watermelon pieces with a few mint leaves for garnish. Gorgeous to look at, very low cal, very healthy.
  • SuzyT01
    SuzyT01 Posts: 12
    Options
    I think one of the BEST dishes is Bruschetta! Its so easy to make and not nearly as high in fat and calories as some other dishes! I absolutely love it! Plus you can choose the kind of bread you want it on for an even healthier dish! All you need (for simple Bruschetta) is some diced tomatoes, italian dressing, parmasean cheese and the bread of your choosing! So it can be cheap too!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Cucumber salad! So delicious <3
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I am definetely interested in hearing some ideas --> Bump
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Baked beans? You can make them in a crock pot over night and take the whole thing with you.
    Fruit Cup? Can't get much more healthy than lots of varieties of fruit cut up and tossed together.
    Tomatoes & Cucumbers? Slice grape or cherry tomatoes in half and add slices of cucumbers. Toss with a minimal amount of light Italian dressing.
  • somethingvague
    Options
    Thanks guys, all delicious ideas.

My concern is that I'm really the only one there who is watching what I eat, so I want to do something that won't seem "too healthy" for my jerk friends, haha, but healthy enough that I can indulge in a little myself.

I was thinking of doing a cream cheese/salsa dip but with light cheese and extra veggies. Probably still not the healthiest snack, but I'd only have a little anyways. Am I better off buying tortilla chips to dip with, or whole-wheat pitas?

Still open to more ideas too!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Yes, I did a healthy Taco ring for my sister's birthday and it was great. Go to utube and search healthy taco ring by Lovely Raw Beauty. She does great dishes. This was quick and easy and healthy. Hope you like it.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Found this on a website:

Garden Pasta Salad

To make this salad more substantial, you can toss in canned chunk light tuna, cooked chicken or flavored baked tofu.

Nutritional Information (per serving)

Calories 205
    Total Fat 9g
    Saturated Fat 2g
    Cholesterol 1mg
    Sodium 291mg
    Total Carbohydrate 29g
    Dietary Fiber --
    Sugars --
    Protein 6g
    Calcium 0
    Serves: 6 Edit
    Update Cancel

Total Time: 35 min

Ingredients

U.S. Metric Conversion chart
    2 cup(s) whole-wheat rotini (6 ounces)
    1/3 cup(s) reduced-fat mayonnaise
    1/3 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt
    2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon(s) red-wine vinegar, or lemon juice
    1 clove(s) garlic, minced
    1/8 teaspoon(s) salt, or to taste
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1 cup(s) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
    1 cup(s) diced yellow or red bell pepper (1 small)
    1/2 cup(s) chopped scallions (4 scallions)
    1/2 cup(s) chopped pitted Kalamata olives
    1 cup(s) grated carrot (about 2)
    1/3 cup(s) slivered fresh basil

Directions

1.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
    2.Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, oil, vinegar (or lemon juice), garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Add the pasta and toss to coat. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, carrots, scallions, olives and basil; toss to coat well.

And these cookies

Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Nutritional Information (per serving)

Calories 99
    Total Fat 5g
    Saturated Fat 2g
    Cholesterol 11mg
    Sodium 64mg
    Total Carbohydrate 12g
    Dietary Fiber --
    Sugars --
    Protein 1g
    Calcium 0

Serves: 10 Edit

Total Time: 35 min

Ingredients

U.S.
    Metric Conversion chart

• 3/4 cup(s) rolled oats
    • 1 cup(s) whole-wheat flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
    • 1/4 cup(s) butter, softened
    • 1/4 cup(s) canola oil
    • 1/3 cup(s) granulated sugar
    • 1/3 cup(s) brown sugar
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
    • 1 cup(s) chocolate chips

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
    2. Grind oats in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy. With the mixer running, add the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
    3. Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls, at least 1 inch apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies , 1 sheet at a time, until firm around the edges and golden on top, about 15 minutes. Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Japanese Cucumber Salad (4-6 helpings)

(thinly slice 2-3 peeled, seeded cucumbers. Sprinkle lightly with salt, let set on a tea towel for 15 minutes, then thoroughly wring the cucumbers out. Put them in a bowl. They'll be limp. In a lidded jar, shake together 4T white sugar and 7T white vinegar. Shake the dressing until it's clear. Pour the dressing over the cucumbers, then chill. Add mung bean sprouts, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.)

A simple salad of romaine, red grapes, blue cheese crumbles and Good Seasons Garlic & Herb dressings (made the low fat way)....

Asian Slaw (20 helpings)
    (three packets of top Ramen, 3/4 cup Newman's Own Light Sesame Ginger Dressing, 1/2 C water, 10 oz package of shredded cabbage, 1 C sliced green onions, 1 C grated carrots, chopped cilantro (for garnish). Combine dressing, water, seasoning packets from the Ramen and whisk. Crumble the noodles, and let them soak for awhile. Add cabbage, onions and carrots. Chill for at least 3 hours. Sprinkle with cilantro.)
    (This one has gotten rave reviews...)
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Bumpin great ideas!