Desk and Sitting Exercises!

Options
At work, we had a YMCA representative to come by and offer desk-exercises. I thought this would be especially helpful for those of us who are trying to lose weight and sit working at a desk all day. This would also be good for those who maybe be restricted in their movements, or who are just getting started on their weight loss journey! Most of these are sitting exercises. Recommended to be done 10-15 reps, 2-3 times every other day.

Sit tall and keep your abdomen muscles tight while doing these.

**Toe Raises: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair, 2) Lift your toes while your heels are firmly planted on the ground. Repeat _ times.

**Heel Raises: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair, 2) Lift your heels while your toes are firmly planted on the ground. Repeat _ times.

**Seated Leg Slides: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair, 2) Place your feet on paper plates and slide one heel out at a time, 3) Push the heel into the ground to engage hamstring and bring it back to starting position. 4) Alternate both legs. Repeat __ times.

**Chair marching: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair, 2) Lift your right leg a few inches off the floor and then the other to simulate a marching movement. Do not lean back.

**Knee Extensions: 1) Sit back in your chair with good posture. 2) Extend the leg at the knee and then bend. 10-15 times on each leg, the alternate.

**Squats: Stand up from your chair and sit again (or tap your rear to the chair). Repeat ___ times.

**Outer Thigh: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair. 2) Lift one leg at the hip. 3) Keeping a 90deg angle, move knee to the side. 4) Return lifted knee to original position. Alternate legs and repeat ___ times.

**Inner Thigh and Butt Squeezes: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair. 2) Squeeze your legs together (or between your fists), 3) Squeeze buttocks and hold. 3) Relax and repeat ___ times.

**Seated Punches: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair. 2) Jab the arms forward for 10, 3) Jab them at an upwards angle for 10. 4) Jab them at a downwards angle for 10. 5) Alternate and repeat ___. (Note - Do not lock out the elbows)

**Chair Dips: 1) Place hands on the arms of your chair (Strong, stable, and non wheeled chair!), 2) Lift yourself up by straightening your elbows then lower. Keep shoulders away from your ears. Repeat ___ times.

**Shoulder Retractions: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair, 2) With arms raised out to the sides and elbows at 90 deg angles, push the arms and shoulders forward, 3) Pull the arms and shoulders back while you squeeze between your shoulder blades.

**Shoulder Circuit: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair, 2) Hold arms straight out from your body. 3) Pulse the arms 10 times with palms up, palms down, palms forward, palms back, little circles forward, little circles back. Repeat __ times.

**Seated Rotation: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair, 2) Keep hips forward, 3) Twist to one side and hold. 4) Alternate. Repeat.

**Abdominal Squeezes: 1) Sit at the edge of your chair; 2) Squeeze your belly button in towards your back, 3) Squeeze your lower ribs toward your hipbones. 4) Relax and repeat.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm copying/pasting this information for reference.

Depending on how my day is going at work, the seated punches will likely become a favorite. Heh!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump for the next time I have to skip workouts to meet deadlines! Thanks :tongue:
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm copying/pasting this information for reference.

Depending on how my day is going at work, the seated punches will likely become a favorite. Heh!

Depending on the work day...they could be a great stress reliever too! lol
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Love this!! Thank you!!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need to reference this for later. Thank you for sharing! ^__^
  • beccadh76
    beccadh76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thanks Kim! I printed these to take with me to work.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thanks Kim! I printed these to take with me to work.

YAY! I've been doing them at work too. It's surprising how many squats you can intermittently get in while sitting at your desk.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm totally bumping this because I just got a desk job.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Awaiting the entries in the exercise database for toe raises. Feel the burn!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kepirus
    kepirus Posts: 79
    Options
    bump
  • chaotic38
    chaotic38 Posts: 8
    Options
    Super helpful! I will be sharing with some of my family and friends that are also confined to a desk most of the day. Thanks a bunch!:happy:
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    bump
  • techcat10
    techcat10 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks!!! :smile: