Sweating like Nixon

Options
Hello all. Not sure if this has been on the boards recently but I wanted to ask. About a month ago I upped my exercise regime from 1-2x a week to 3-4x a week, with slightly more intense workouts than usual. I've always been a sweaty person, but it seems like the past two weeks I've been sweating WAYYYY more than usual. I never used to drip sweat but now I look like I just got out of the pool when I finish a workout!

I've heard that this can be from increased fitness levels, i.e. the body getting better at cooling itself. I'm not too self-conscious about it luckily but I feel like I need two towels to handle the sweat situation! Does this happen to any of you?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Yup, after a decent run on a hot day I am literally dripping and can easily wring perspiration out of my shirt, and my hair, which is quite long, will be completely wet and dripping from the end of my ponytail.

Just remember to rehydrate! And keep up the good work!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    The best topic title I've ever seen here. :laugh:
  • HoneySunrise
    HoneySunrise Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Haha. Thank you.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am definitely sweating more efficiently now that I work out more frequently, Worst part for me (TMI ALERT) is the crotch sweats--I can get off the treadmill and look like I had an accident. Definitely better to wear the black tights.....
  • starxo
    starxo Posts: 4
    Options
    I am a warm person in general, and I use the new Sure 'Maximum Protection' deodorant, and that has helped loads!
    I even notice less sweat in the gym!

Worth a try :) xx
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it
    :bigsmile:

OK so i tend to sweat a lot, and when i work out very intensely, i drip. my hair is soaking, my shirt is soaking, even down to my undies. seriously don't worry about it. I have a friend who changes her shirt halfway through a work out (between cardio and strength/weights) so do that if you feel self concious but you really don't have to
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    " IF YOU AIN'T SWEATIN'... YOU AIN'T WORKIN' "

Just keep hydrated. Sweat is all good. It's also a quick check of your sodium levels. If you sweat and leave white salt rings on your clothes then you know your sodium is high LOL. Sweating is good for your skin and your body in general. I have yet to leave my CrossFit Box not completely soaked from head to socks... and that is at 5am when it is relatively cool here in Florida.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I have the same issue. I feel bad because it seems like I am dripping sweat all over the floor during my strength training....but I try to wipe it up when I'm done. :tongue:
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I sweat heaps when I work out, too. Just make sure you are rehydrating well when you're finished!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You heard right--trained athletes sweat more than beginners. They also break into sweat earlier in the course of exercise.

But that might not be an explanation of why you are sweating (no offense). First of all, it is summer in the northern hemisphere so it's hotter and more humid. Second, you are working at a higher intensity, which usually means more sweat no matter what level of fitness you have. You might also find that as you lose fat, it takes a bit more heat and exertion for you to get hot to a point of sweating.