Help with bacon stats please.

Options
djfldjfl
djfldjfl Posts: 26 Member
Hi all. So pig bacon, not turkey bacon. I've looked at the stats on all the bacon I come across in stores and I have not seen 1 that's less than 100+ calories per slice. Yet MFP stats...used by several of my friends...have at least some kinds of bacon being around 30 calories per slice. How is this possible? Either MFP has the info wrong, or people are cutting off the clear fatty parts of the bacon and grilling it so even more fat runs off?

Thanks!

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've seen the precooked bacon at 80 calories for 2 slices. I'm not sure that qualifies as real bacon though. It's tiny and leathery.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Beelers bacon has listed 70 calories per slice and has big fat slices of uncured bacon goodness.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    2 slices of kirkland low sodium bacon is 90 calories (so 45 each). I don't think I've seen bacon in stores that is over 100 calories a piece, but it is usually listed as 2 pieces per serving.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    Danish Back Bacon comes in at 94 calories per slice and I have found some other smoked bacon come in at less. In the UK our bacon is pretty thin. Although Turkey bacon best for calories!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Oscar Meyer thick sliced center cut bacon is 80 cals for 2 slices.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I cook a big breakfast every Sunday morning. Most bacon is 70-90 calories for 2 slices.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MFP database is usually wrong ...
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi all. So pig bacon, not turkey bacon. I've looked at the stats on all the bacon I come across in stores and I have not seen 1 that's less than 100+ calories per slice. Yet MFP stats...used by several of my friends...have at least some kinds of bacon being around 30 calories per slice. How is this possible? Either MFP has the info wrong, or people are cutting off the clear fatty parts of the bacon and grilling it so even more fat runs off?

Thanks!

Hi!! I say...eat some bacon and enjoy it - in moderation!! Everyone deserves some bacon once in a while!! And, I don't think MFP is usually wrong...I mean it could be, but I've checked a few items against what MFP says and they've been right on.

Also, I don't know how you feel about microwaved bacon, but I think it's pretty good, and there's a cooking tray that allows more grease to run off so it'd be better for you.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Makn-Bacon-Microwave-Bacon-Cooker/3437851/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=UcA-MwAABJdGrHa1:20130618113449:s
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    Most recently I bought Meijer store brand and it's listed as 80 calories for 2 slices of skillet cooked bacon.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head is, IIRC, 80 calories for 2 slices (after cooking).
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love this question. The bacon i buy from Costco is 290 for two slices. But that's not cooked. I can't find anywhere what it would be with the fat drained off. I see a ton of friends listing 4 slices of bacon for around 120. I too can't see that its possible.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Love this question. The bacon i buy from Costco is 290 for two slices. But that's not cooked. I can't find anywhere what it would be with the fat drained off. I see a ton of friends listing 4 slices of bacon for around 120. I too can't see that its possible.

If you weigh it before cooking and then weigh it afterward, you'd get an idea of the calories of the lean meat. So if 2 slices of uncooked bacon weighs 60 grams (~2 ounces--just making up a number) and those same slices cooked weigh 16.5 grams (about 27% of uncooked weight--again making up a number, but cooked bacon doesn't weigh much), then the total calories for those slices of bacon cooked would be about 80 calories.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    My bacon is 80 calories for two slices...are you using thick-sliced bacon maybe?
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Aberdeen Farms (Aldi's) hardwood sliced smoked bacon: 2 slices is 60 cals. After they're done cooking I drain them and pat them with a paper towel to get the grease off.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Any bacon= 100% delicious! :bigsmile:
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

If you weigh it before cooking and then weigh it afterward, you'd get an idea of the calories of the lean meat. So if 2 slices of uncooked bacon weighs 60 grams (~2 ounces--just making up a number) and those same slices cooked weigh 16.5 grams (about 27% of uncooked weight--again making up a number, but cooked bacon doesn't weigh much), then the total calories for those slices of bacon cooked would be about 80 calories.

Thank you - didn't even occur to me to weigh them. I see more bacon in my future ;):flowerforyou:
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I get Kroger bacon and the package says it's 40 calories a slice.

ETA: I get the thin bacon slices, not the extra thick ones.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    As several others have said, two slices usually is around 70-90 calories depending on brand and cut. I love bacon and cook a big breakfast every Sunday!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    center cut pig bacon has the same or sometimes less calories than turkey about 35 depending on the brand.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    look for "center cut"