Low fat (high sugar) yogurt or normal yogurt?

Options
hi there, been at this for a couple of weeks and one of my treats for the day is low fat bio yogurt with summer fruits on top. i am REALLY shocked at how much sugar is in the yogurt - for 100g of yogurt, there's 15 grammes of sugar!!!

so, the question is, should i stick with the low fat/high sugar or go for the normal yogurts with less sugar???

any advice much appreciated.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    full fat natural yoghurt with berries and nuts added.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    depends on if the sugar comes from the fruits or is added sugar i have a double 0% yogurt i love it has 0% added sugar and 0% fat its a dream tastes so fruity and nice
    but if it is added sugar i would go with the full fat version
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I switched to Greek yogurt, for the higher protein content, but am finding it difficult to find full-fat, organic, plain Greek yogurt. Best I've been able to find is "Low Fat".

I then add my own berries or other fruit and usually some hemp seeds as well. :) Yummy!
  • jahuwillamoonie
    Options
    They say if you must have dairy (which should be avoided along with other processed foods), go with full fat minus added fructose and other sugar additives.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I personally have no fat and low sugar yoghurt. Onken Natural Fat Free. 0 fat and 6g of sugar per 150g. Then I add whatever I want to it. Fruit, cereal, sugar free jelly (jell-o)
    I only have 50-75g at a time. It tastes nice on it's own for a few mouthfuls but then get's a bit, I don't know exactly, not so nice.
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    yogurt also has lactose in it, the natural sugars from milk
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did the same shocking discovery last week: one container of my usual lowfat fruit yogurt has 10 calories more (and much more sugar!) than a plain full fat yogurt. This one even tastes better and gets me full for longer. I'm swithching as soon as I get over with the low fat ones I have in the refrigerator.