Any tips for morning workouts?

Options

Replies

• lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 6am every week day morning and up I get to do my workout - if I didn't do it then I wouldn't find the time :) it takes dedication but you know what, ITS SOOO WORTH IT :-D I wake up naturally now looking forward to my WO and I believe that if you persevere you too will find it easier getting out of your nice warm bed too lol (I started my early morning workouts in Jan and I'm still going strong)

^^This. I've been doing early morning workouts for 2 years, 6 days a week. You get to the point you're dressed and doing the warm-up before you really wake up and by then you're doing it! I love it and wouldn't/couldn't have it any other way!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It might also be worth mentioning that exercising shortly before going to bed is not good sleep hygiene... So, OP, you might find that you get a better night's rest and do not feel like crap all day after rising early if you taper off your activities towards the end of the day the night before.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Can't get up before 8am? Here's a magic trick: act like an adult, set your alarm clock, and get up and handle your business.

Wow, is there any need for the snark? I'm not a child - please don't speak to me like one.

I go to bed around 10.30pm (I usually don't get home from work until about 7.30). I am aware that it sounds strange but it is the honest truth - it doesn't really matter how much sleep I get, getting up before that time in the morning makes me nauseous and headachy for the rest of the day.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    p.s Thanks to everyone for your advice!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person however due to the fact that excuses are easy to come by and therefore will cause me to not workout in the afternoon today is the second day of getting up early to hit the gym. And by early I mean the alarm went off at 4:45 this morning and although I hit snooze once I did not fall back to sleep and basically just laid there and let myself wake up for 9 minutes before I got out of bed.

What will help you to get up early is to go to bed early. Starting today I am hoping to be in bed at 8:30 and asleep by 9:30.

It also helps to have a friend who I am currently training who needs to be at the gym at 5:30.

After a few days or even a week of getting up early you will get used to it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Can't get up before 8am? Here's a magic trick: act like an adult, set your alarm clock, and get up and handle your business.

Wow, is there any need for the snark? I'm not a child - please don't speak to me like one.

I go to bed around 10.30pm (I usually don't get home from work until about 7.30). I am aware that it sounds strange but it is the honest truth - it doesn't really matter how much sleep I get, getting up before that time in the morning makes me nauseous and headachy for the rest of the day.

That just sounds ridiculous. I think you have conditioned yourself to feel sick if you get up early in the morning. It also makes a good excuse to sleep in. What time do you normally get up to go to work? If you just do it your body will get used to it.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Drink a cup of strong black coffee before exercising. (Just be careful if you are a runner as it may bring on the gingerbread man.)
    What does "bring on the gingerbread man" mean?
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Drink a cup of strong black coffee before exercising. (Just be careful if you are a runner as it may bring on the gingerbread man.)

I'll let Wikipedia do the talking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner's_diarrhea
  • bumblebums
    Options

That just sounds ridiculous. I think you have conditioned yourself to feel sick if you get up early in the morning. It also makes a good excuse to sleep in. What time do you normally get up to go to work? If you just do it your body will get used to it.

Oh my.

Listen guys. I am a morning person. I wake up and I'm ready to go. By 5 pm, I am unable to do anything mentally or physically taxing. But I know that not everyone is like that. I've known enough people who are veritable zombies until about noon, even if they have to be up and about in the wee hours of the morning. Let's not all assume that everyone will be just like us if only they do the things we do, okay?
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have one cup of coffee and then get to my workout. You will actually find you have more energy working out early :)
  • laurabelle2013
    Options

What works for me is to have everything packed and laid out the night before. I'll put my workout gear in a pile by the bed, pack my gym bag with my work clothes for the day (I shower at the gym then head straight to work), have my water bottle filled and in the fridge. All I have to do when I get up is change, brush my teeth, grab my stuff and go.

The less you have to think about the better.

This...
    And once you experience your day with post workout energy and endorphins... You'll like it much more!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I know it sounds rough, but you just have to do it. Move your alarm to the other side of the room and set it at 7:45 one day, then 7:30, then 7:15, and so on until you don't feel sick anymore. Go to sleep earlier, become scared of the snooze button, drink a big gulp of water as soon as you wake up, wash your face, and begin your day. I usually get creative with breakfast so I'm excited to get up and get moving. I typically eat a quick pre-workout snack before my run/calisthenics. Afterwards, I shower and eat breakfast.

It makes me feel great about myself and I usually feel motivated and proactive for the rest of the day. I will warn you, however, that it takes some getting used to. All you have to do is make yourself a morning person and viola! Good luck!

Edited for misspelling.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 3:50 every morning to be at the gym by 4:30 (I have to be in work by 7). I refuse to work out after work. :yawn:

You just have to get out of bed. It will be hard the first week or two but then your body gets used to it.

Wow, you are a rock star!!

I have been trying for a while to get on the morning workout train...I did hit the gym this morning so that's my first baby step! Here's hoping I can find the same motivation tomorrow.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Set an alarm to play, "Eye of the Tiger".
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I'll let Wikipedia do the talking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner's_diarrhea

Yik - thanks bumblebums. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!
    I always have an espresso and a small glass of water before I go for a pre-breakfast run, and it does me fine.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Set an alarm to play, "Eye of the Tiger".

In all seriousness, I'm sure this might actually work a little. :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That's not me being snarky. That's me being dead serious. Getting up at 8am or earlier is not a hardship. I'm not going to hold your hand and pretend it is. Anyone in the military, or with a 9-5 job, or with kids in school can tell you the same.

Figure out what's important to you and commit to it.
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    like everyone has said, you just need to jump out of bed and do it. You may feel tired at first but then you will be fine.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    What would happen if your work told you to start at 9:00 am, then you would have to wake up early.

i think you will just have to get on with it. before you know it you will get used to waking up early and getting it done. just log onto you tube and find something that suits, spend 30 mins job done. In no time you will get into a routine like I have. check out fitnessblender.com for free exercises. also.
  • shellir05
    shellir05 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ZZZZzzz. LOL
    I have discovered that if I set my alarm, 15 minutes earlier every morning- eventually I get up. Now the motivation part is difficult. I usually go into the bathroom and look at my belly adn arm fat and then I'm ready for a run :)
    feel free to add me for extra motivation, i love motivating people. It keeps me going!