Antelope, mule deer, elk.. what to make?

Options
Lynn_babcock
Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
So.. thawed meat in my fridge is antelope (made into sausage, think high calories), mule deer roast (already cooked/leftovers), mule deer steak, elk burger (lean, no fat added), and pork chops. For veggies I have broccoli, zucchini, carrots, kale, cucumbers, or some bell peppers. Ideas? I am lacking inspiration for lunch (haven't had breakfast yet.. but I'm trying to plan the day) and dinner tonight. Got ideas? I probably have to go into town for some groceries anyways today (out of coffee creamer)... so if I need to get something special, like a spice that could make all the difference, I can. Thanks!

I've got wild buffalo/bison in the near future too... but it's still in the freezer. but any great ideas for that would be appreciated too. Generally I just cook all this the same as I do beef, but that mule deer has a taste to it.. would be nice to spice that extra taste out of existence :)

Edit: Almost forgot, I've got a bucket of crawdad's that need cooked tonight.. about 30 of them. Generally I just boil them in Old Bay.. but other suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Make an extra place at the table for me!
  • Kingeight
    Kingeight Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Aside from the crayfish I would season everything up with some BBQ seasoning and grill it and eat my way into a pleasure coma.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yum a good venison backstrap can be just like a steak filet if cooked right. You could make a salad with that and put lots of nuts and maybe some blue cheese with it. Bison burgers are awesome, I've been wanting to try those again.
    I haven't had elk but I hear it's amazing. You could make a roast with it in the crockpot and put the veggies with it for a delicious dinner. If you want to get rid of the gamey taste of the mule deer try cooking it with half ground turkey meat to tame it down. Then make a pasta entrée with it and use your veggies and some red sauce to cover it up.

http://www.wolfcreekelkranchinc.com/meat.htm
  • TXRoadKing
    TXRoadKing Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As an avid smoker of anything wild, I generally soak my mule deer in Claudes brisket marinade for anywhere up to a week and then season up and put on the smoker. I would imagine that since the meat has already been cooked you could still hit it with some Claudes and and then cook it again in a crock pot. As for my vegetables, I like brussel sprouts and asparagus in a tin pan with olive oil covered in aluminum foil and placed in the smoker or in the oven. I also do one which is diced potatoes, diced squash, chopped onions and mushrooms and a little jalapeno for heat. Salt and pepper to taste, drizzle on the olive oil, also in a tin pan with aluminum foil on the smoker.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sounds diverse, I just have lots of pork and deer in my freezer with no room for anything else! I take the cuts of venison that aren't so tender and braise them in my Dutch oven with wine, spices, etc. I prefer this cooking method to a Crock Pot if I have the time, nothing beats a Crock Pot on work days! Look up braised venison with ****ake and rosemary on allrecipes.com. There are lots of braised recipes on there using beef, pork, (more traditional meats) that you can sub your wild game into.
    I use the allrecipes site for most of my recipes because you can put in what you have on hand and look up recipes with those ingredients in it- there's lots for zucchini.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

I am moving in at your house.
  • gingabebe
    Options
    I spelled shiitake wrong and it got starred out- funny! That's one mushroom I wouldn't want to eat!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Options
    As an avid smoker of anything wild, I generally soak my mule deer in Claudes brisket marinade for anywhere up to a week and then season up and put on the smoker. I would imagine that since the meat has already been cooked you could still hit it with some Claudes and and then cook it again in a crock pot.

Awww... I'm liking this idea. Will have to look for this Claudes Brisket Marinade. I live in a really small town here in Wyoming, 1 store in town, and I'm hoping they've got it. We've been using our grill to smoke rabbit.. we can close it up enough to keep wood smoking versus burning. Do you have a preferred wood for venison? I didn't see this before I made dinner, but I had a large portion of mule deer neck meat (was told to throw it out.. but I have a problem throwing out meat).. and it actually wasn't bad. I cut it off the morning after I shot it (my first deer, had to bring in the cape/head to the taxidermist anyways).. so maybe that was the difference. The grill, sadly, is out of propane.. but I did my best with the skillet. I used mustard, Worcestershire sauce, granulated garlic, salt, pepper.. and an unknown 'meat rub'. It worked. But, it's so similar to everything else I've made.. I'm excited to try out some of your ideas. Thanks!

Ya, my freezer has heavy boxes on the lid right now. A neighbor called me over to clean out her freezer.. she was tired of the game in there and wanted enough room for this upcoming season (antelope season starts soon). So I probably got close to 100#'s from them. And we have 4 of our own pigs in there from last Winter, what's left of my deer & my husbands deer. I'm making jerky tonight with everything that didn't fit in the freezers.. and I've got my grass fed beef that'll be coming back from the butchers the end of July. So if any of you people come through Wyoming.. and you come through Pinedale, send me a message.. I'll gladly share some game with you!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Options
    Well, my store didn't have it (Claudes brisket marinade). We'll be driving to Salt Lake City next week.. and I see it's a product Walmart carries (according to their online site).. so I will try to get some there.

I cut that cooked meat up into strips and made stroganoff last night.. turned out pretty good. Not the best thing on calories though, since it's pasta.
  • gingabebe
    Options
    "So if any of you people come through Wyoming.. and you come through Pinedale, send me a message.. I'll gladly share some game with you!"

We were out that way last summer! Beautiful country! I was going to ask if you made jerky- it is so expensive to buy at the store, so we make our own too.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    For the bison/ buffalo, I suggest rubbing it down with some sugar (white or brown) and letting it marinade in bourbon. Grill it to your preferred done-ness. I make that with a side of spice mashed potatoes and roasted green beans for my family and they love it. And so many things to do with the crawfish. You could make an eggplant and crawfish casserole-- dice eggplant, sautee in butter with some onion, garlic, and bell pepper. When the eggplant is tender, mix in the crawfish and let cook until the crawfish is almost done. Then you just throw it in a baking dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs over it, and let bake until the crawfish is done.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The vegetarian slowly backs out of the thread and runs....
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like to throw venison roasts in a crock pot with a can of cola/dark pop of some kind. Makes it tender and helps if they are "strong" tasting. At home I have a recipe for a mushroom sauce and marinade, I will try and remember to find and post it later.