addicted to food!

Options
So I just ate this huge disgustingly bad for you meal! I was 1/2 way through with it and already was feeling full to the point of pain but had to keep eating. I ate every last bite and now I feel like I need to vomit? Why does this happen? Everything was telling me to stop but I couldn't. Any help/answers for me??

Replies

• Van3ssa_2468
    Van3ssa_2468 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it.
    Maybe divide your meal up next time, put half in a container and store it in the fridge for a lunch or dinner the next day.
  • binder48
    Options
    Maybe you are like me and was taught as a child to clean your plate and not waste food. We both need to learn to push the plate away and eat slow enough so our body has time to tell us we are full.
  • marciml
    marciml Posts: 41
    Options
    I am sorry you went through this. I can hear the pain in your words. Now its time to think about what you really want. Write down that goal, whether its a weight, a clothing size, or a blood pressure number. Write it down on little papers and stick them everywhere. Use it as your bookmark, stick one in your wallet-so you must see it every time you reach for your money, put one in the pocket of your jacket, everywhere. Look at that goal often. When you sit to eat a piece of food, ask yourself, does this piece of food help get me to my goal? You are worth your goal.. . . Now go and get it. You must do this for you. You are strong enough to travel this road. Be strong! I admire you for writing about this event. I know how hard it must be professing something so hurtful. We are here for you, just keep your chin up, lace up your shoes and do something physical, anything, just don't sit and feel bad about this.

Remember the song, "I like to move it, move it" ??? from Madagascar? Go move it, move it.

Best of luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    What have you eaten for the rest of the day? Were you truly overeating or was your body famished from food restriction? I'm certainly not implying one way other the other just throwing out ideas to see if you can find the root of your problem.
  • cpu22girl
    Options
    Pour something you despise on it like salt or Tabasco and then you won't eat the rest....I know it is super easy to keep eating and/or picking at the food - especially when you are out with others. Hang in there!!
  • cpu22girl
    Options
    I am sorry you went through this. I can hear the pain in your words. Now its time to think about what you really want. Write down that goal, whether its a weight, a clothing size, or a blood pressure number. Write it down on little papers and stick them everywhere. Use it as your bookmark, stick one in your wallet-so you must see it every time you reach for your money, put one in the pocket of your jacket, everywhere. Look at that goal often. When you sit to eat a piece of food, ask yourself, does this piece of food help get me to my goal? You are worth your goal.. . . Now go and get it. You must do this for you. You are strong enough to travel this road. Be strong! I admire you for writing about this event. I know how hard it must be professing something so hurtful. We are here for you, just keep your chin up, lace up your shoes and do something physical, anything, just don't sit and feel bad about this.

Remember the song, "I like to move it, move it" ??? from Madagascar? Go move it, move it.

Great advice!
  • mandy0304
    mandy0304 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your mistake may be that you believe you "had to keep eating". Today marks the sixth week that I have been dieting, and I have found that control over the mind and body is something that comes with time and effort. It's important to listen to your body and pay attention to what it's telling you. Eating slower while not being distracted helps you become tuned in to what your body is telling you, thus preventing you from overeating. Overcoming the mentality of overeating requires immense self control. That control becomes better over time with strict dieting, portion control, and monitoring of caloric intake. Once you get on a routine of paying attention to what you eat and how much you eat is when you see results. Although, we all are human and do slip up. Don't let it discourage you, it has happened to all of us. As long as we learn from our mistakes and don't keep repeating them we can then be successful. Best of luck to you :)
  • missjo113
    Options

WOW super advise! and super motivating... I can feel my but starting to dance in my chair! Ha! Ha!
  • Lauris83
    Lauris83 Posts: 58
    Options
    haven't we all been there... I can't recall being taught to clear my plate as a child but I definitely order with my eyes (I think thats the saying?) and then end up with a huge plate of food and cant bring myself to waste it by throwing it out and believe it or not I hate eating leftovers. Anyway, just remember to order smaller portions if not healthier items from the menu. I have to remind myself when I go out to eat that just cause I feel starved, I really am not and half way thru I'm gonna be full so my little pep talk helps me pick something more reasonable.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Consider checking out Overeaters Anonymous to see if there is one in your area.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Changing your food habits is 80% mental, 20% what you eat and exercise. Maybe you do need to talk to someone about why you feel the need to eat when you are full. I've seen mom's who sacrifice so much that they feel that a full plate is a reward they deserve. I see people eat because some one made them feel ashamed about their weight, so they eat to prove that they should be loved regarless of their size. Boredom, anxiety, a feeling of safety, depression.........
    When these issues are identified it becomes easier to decide, and commit to a healthier lifestyle. I love to blog. Then read your blog. Allow yourself to say how you feel, aknowledge it and move on to a new hurdle.
    Some brave people here have opened there blogs for you to read, maybe you could find inspiration and insight in them.
    All the best to you.
  • PANGiE
    PANGiE Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i find that if i think about how i will feel after im done eating this, will it be worth it? I have an addiction to homemade salsa and tortilla chips, to the point of eating it until there is no more chips. when im done i hurt, but its the one thing i will do this to myself once a month.... compared to the 2 or 3 times a week i was doing a year ago. i just feel so good when i eat balanced diet in proper proportions. so dont worry everyone does it im sure, its just keeping control over it somehow. thinking about how sick i will feel almost always helps me! good luck :)