Hello! 21 year old, 5"0 with 55 lbs to lose!

Options
Hello! I'm new! Just saying hello, and wondering if anyone has any tips for starting this whole weight loss business off? I've tried to lose weight lots of times but only ever had success when I cut carbs out of my life completely, and that's just TORTURE!! Any help at all would be so, so appreciated!
:D

Replies

• CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Start logging everything you eat honestly and add exercise into your world, even if that exercise is just a walk at lunch.

Congrats on making the decision to change your life for the better. Just take it one day at a time and make better decisions each day. There are many people here willing to share what has worked for them. You just need to find a way you can make this sustainable for you!

Today's a great day to make a change! Tomorrow is too.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Eat healthy & exercise.

You can never completely cut carbs out, only low carb... which works for some but not everyone.

You need to get into a routine that fits you - do you like to swim? bike? walk? yoga? Find an exercise you enjoy and do it often - the more often the better. I walk on lunch breaks and do yoga 4 times a week. I watch my calories (don't always watch my macros, although I should, but i'm just really checking calories and fiber, since I have medical reason to watch fiber.)

Don't try and lose the weight quickly... too many people look for a quick fix - for me this is a lifestyle change, so I've decided to lose SLOWLY (13 pounds in 3 months). Plus I don't want the stretch marks and loose skin, and I don't have any new ones!

I still eat everything everyone else does, last night I even had Oreo's and it still fit into my calorie budget. I eat pizza, drink wine, have ice cream, cookies, pie... But in moderation, and a lot less than I used to!
  • RichardDickCobb
    RichardDickCobb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As a longtime user of the iPhone App: "myfitnesspal" (Free), I can attest to its key roll in assisting me in reducing my caloric intake through recording the things I eat at each meal. The App allows you to scan barcodes on food products, so you can closely monitor the number of calories you consume at each and every meal and snacks. Its "Search" element will allow you find all food items from its vast database of food items. It is easy to use, and I recommend it as you begin your weight control effort.

Additionally, I recommend this iPhone App: "Digifit" (Free). This app uses it's GPS element to record the distance you walk, calories burned, time and distance, and presents you with a map showing where your exercise started and ended. Be Bold! These Apps help you to measure your diet and exercise plan. Just do it, and let our group know how you are doing.
  • J2mazou
    J2mazou Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    HI,

I agree with the other posts - find time to squeeze in exercise. I go for walks on my lunch break or after dinner. Maybe get off the bus a stop early - every little helps.

I found I had pretty good results when I tried a 'no oil' short-term diet. I would literally cut out everything which had oil in - no bread, no processed foods, not even saltanas (yup, even they have oil to keep them from sticking together). This also makes you read food packets and actually realise what you're eating. It's just very difficult to keep up.

Hope this helps!
    Jo. x
  • shape8shifter
    Options
    Thanks very much, guys! I'm excited to start this off! I'll definitely try to be completely truthful in my food diary, there's no point in lying! :) Last week I started walking my dog for an hour 4 or 5 times a week, would you say that would be enough or do you think I should do a bit more? Thanks again!!
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i have so many tips and advice , so let's starts with this for now:
    -Look at exercise as a pleasure and a privilege, not a burden or chore. Think positively about the changes regular exercise will produce. Rather than obsessing about your next meal, get excited about your next workout!
    -Focus on short-term fitness goals with an emphasis on completing daily exercise.
    -Work to take your exercise to new levels of intensity.
    -Make it your goal to do some form of exercise 6 or 7 days a week. If some days you exercise once in the morning and once in the evening, even better! If you’re eating right, exercise will fuel your energy level!
    -Create an exercise schedule the day before instead of leaving it to chance or waiting to “find” the time. If the last three Presidents of the United States can make time to work out every day, you can make time too!

that's just the begining, start with that 1st and if you want more let me know...
    Chris
  • shape8shifter
    Options
    That all makes a lot of sense to me, thanks! The schedule is a really good idea! :)

Are there any specific kinds of exercise that you've found to be more or less effective?