Help with Slouching/rounded shoulders

Options
I need some help with exercises to address my rounded shoulders / slouching. I get that unattractive " thick neck" look from bad posture. After some reading, I think the problem may be either weak back, weak core, weak shoulders or some combination. I've had this issue all my life.

I believe I may also have overdeveloped pectoral muscles relative to my back. When I'm measured for a bra fitting, the chest measurement above my boobs would suggest a 38 band, but the measurement below my boobs on my ribcage is actually 33 band. I can do regular military push ups, but can't even manage one pull up.

Can anyone suggest some exercises to help? I'm open to any category of exercise. My current exercise regime consists mostly of strength training (body weight/kettle balls/dumbells), jogging, and occasional swimming.

Replies

• Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Interested in responses.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    exercises:
    let me ups
    pull ups/chin ups
    pendlay rows
    weighted neck extensions
    deadlifts
    face pulls

mobility work:
    shoulder dislocations
    thoraic foam rolling
    banded shoulder distractions
  • ewjones195
    ewjones195 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my Physical Theraist said I need to strengthen my core becasue I have the same issues. Mine related to a shoulder injury. Your core supports your entire body including your shoulders.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    exercises:
    let me ups
    pull ups/chin ups
    pendlay rows
    weighted neck extensions
    deadlifts
    face pulls

mobility work:
    shoulder dislocations
    thoraic foam rolling

This in additional to DB Pullovers & Front Squats. Anything that forces Thoraic Extension. Also, some rear delt work will help
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    @GetSoda - some new ones in there that I hadn't heard about. I just looked up videos for these recos and am especially interested in face pulls and let me ups. I can't do a pull up yet so a let me up looks like an interim exercise that might help me get there.

Also, i hadn't really thought of the mobility/stretching angle. I was thinking that I needed to strengthen opposing muscles, but maybe it's also about loosening the tight shoulder/chest muscles.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    @GetSoda - some new ones in there that I hadn't heard about. I just looked up videos for these recos and am especially interested in face pulls and let me ups. I can't do a pull up yet so a let me up looks like an interim exercise that might help me get there.

Also, i hadn't really thought of the mobility/stretching angle. I was thinking that I needed to strengthen opposing muscles, but maybe it's also about loosening the tight shoulder/chest muscles.

Yep. check out mobilitywod. I think he calls the condition 'doucehbag shoulders'
    I actually had this issue with my left but not right shoulder. The banded distractions helped the most.
  • elisabeisme
    Options
    I recently added deadlifts to my routine thinking they would help so I'm glad to see those on your list. right now, I'm doing double suitcase deadlifts with kettle balls. I can only lift about 70 lbs right now (which is pathetic for a woman my weight) so it's easier to do them with kettle balls because i can do them in the less crowded section of the gym. once I get a bit stronger I'll have to switch to the bar. If you compare that to the fact that I can bench press over 100 lbs (decent for a woman my weight), my body is definitely out of alignment!
  • elisabeisme
    Options
    @lolbroscience - dumbell pullover looks interesting too. looks like it works back and stretches shoulders at the same time.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    A lot of good suggestions. Only thing I can think to add is yoga. I am a sloucher and yoga has been teaching me to realign my body, keep my shoulders back and improve my posture. Plus it's just fun and challenging.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    With weights-

Deadlifts
    Dumbbell rows
    Presses
    Olympic lifts (cleans and snatches)
    Bench press

With equipment-

Pull ups/chin ups
    Ring rows
    Rowing

No equipment-

Bear crawls
    Planks
    Push ups (and modifications)
    Down dog to cobra
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Bent over rear lateral raises. Direct work on rear shoulders helps to "pull" them back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • elisabeisme
    Options
    is "rear delt" and "rear shoulder" the same thing?
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I read an article that helped me a lot with that problem. If you sit a lot or have a desk job, tight pecs and/or front of your shoulders can pull your shoulders forward. Good stretching can help with that. Just stretch the front of your chest by joining your hands behind your back, like this:

th?id=H.4589427029576093&pid=1.7&w=222&h=187&c=7&rs=1
  • pweaver25
    pweaver25 Posts: 18
    Options
    exercises:
    let me ups
    pull ups/chin ups
    pendlay rows
    weighted neck extensions
    deadlifts
    face pulls

mobility work:
    shoulder dislocations
    thoraic foam rolling

BOOM!! Have the same problem...Face pulls and stretching have helped. Really try to focus on proper posture standing and sitting. Sucks
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've been recommended to incorporate these exercises into my usual routine
    - lat pull-downs
    - seated rows
    - pull-ups (I do assisted with a band or an assisted pull-up machine)

and lots of stretching throughout the day. I also do pilates once a week and have a set day for a range of core exercises to help support my back generally. It seems to be helping.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    is "rear delt" and "rear shoulder" the same thing?
    Yes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • elisabeisme
    Options
    @zillah73 - are there any specific yoga poses you think have been more helpful to resolve your rounded shoulders? or just yoga overall? I like the idea of yoga and Pilates but there are so many different subtypes and poses that it is kind of overwhelming to know where to start.

one "aha moment" I'm getting from this thread is that flexibility is a necessity for a good physique and not including flexibility training in my program has been a huge oversight.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    one "aha moment" I'm getting from this thread is that flexibility is a necessity for a good physique and not including flexibility training in my program has been a huge oversight.
    I wouldn't say it's a necessity (since there are lots of people with great physiques who lack flexibility), but it is a necessity if you're trying to do some of the stretches that are advised.
    Like anything else, if repetition is applied and the body is taught a habit (purposely pulling torso up straight and shoulders back) it can happen.
    IMO, some of the best postures in the world belong to ballroom dancers. Check one out even when they aren't dancing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    Peeping
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    @zillah73 - are there any specific yoga poses you think have been more helpful to resolve your rounded shoulders? or just yoga overall? I like the idea of yoga and Pilates but there are so many different subtypes and poses that it is kind of overwhelming to know where to start.

I couldn't pinpoint any one in particular. My instructor might be able to say specific poses that are good for it, but honestly, just sitting and standing in front of a mirror in the yoga studio I become conscious of my slouching and make the effort to straighten up. In that sense, all of it helps me. I would imagine that a lot of the backbends are helpful – camel, bridge, cobra, fish. Even things like downward dog help me to put my shoulders on my back and improves my posture.