cardio or less calories?

Options
sc10985
sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
So I keep reading on here that cardio is basically useless and yada yada. So my question is, simply for weight loss purposes only (not heart health) would cutting 200 calories from the day be the same as jogging for 20 mins and burning 200 calories? If I sound like a total airhead please forgive me lol. I've been following a strength program on the you are your own gym app and do that 4x a week. I also jog on the treadmill for 20mins after the strength workout. I'm just wondering if all the cardio is useless? I don't hate it but I don't love it either lol.

Edited for typos.

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm def not an expert, but I know from not only my own experience, but my fiance's as well, that we are both losing weight and cardio has a lot to do with it. I'm either on the treadmill, the eliptical, rowing machine, zumba, or Arc Trainer, and 3 times a week incorporate weight training. He's in an hour Spinning class 6 days a week.

Now in saying that, we also eat more sensibly, and get enough rest. When we weren't working out, but pretty much eating the same way, we both either gained or stayed the same.

I have no training or schooling to tout any scientific facts; I just know what works for us.

If you just plan on lifting weights, and cutting the cardio and the calories, just make sure you don't cut too many. You don't want your body to go into starvation mode.

Good luck!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not useless. Up to you how you want to lose the weight, but cardiovascular exercise is wonderful for your... cardiovascular system. I got by BP down and am feeling fine!

Edit: Sorry, missed that bit about not being concerned about the heart health. I will agree that it has helped me a great deal with my deficit. The heart health and breathing benefits have also helped me with my strength training. Don't sell it short!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm def not an expert, but I know from not only my own experience, but my fiance's as well, that we are both losing weight and cardio has a lot to do with it. I'm either on the treadmill, the eliptical, rowing machine, zumba, or Arc Trainer, and 3 times a week incorporate weight training. He's in an hour Spinning class 6 days a week.

Now in saying that, we also eat more sensibly, and get enough rest. When we weren't working out, but pretty much eating the same way, we both either gained or stayed the same.

I have no training or schooling to tout any scientific facts; I just know what works for us.

If you just plan on lifting weights, and cutting the cardio and the calories, just make sure you don't cut too many. You don't want your body to go into starvation mode.

Good luck!

Thank you. I've always equated cardio with weight loss, but I just keep reading so many threads where people basically say cardio is pointless. I don't wanna waste my time, but I don't wanna short myself either!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Cardo helped me lose inches around my waist in my buttocks and in my arms.....also, it allowed me to lower my blood pressure, alowed me to get back in shape so I wont have to take blood pressure meds, no more sleep apnea and no more exercise induced asthma............cardio helped save me

I do work out with weights too, but I enjoy cardio more and do more cardio. Different strokes for different folks...........as long as you keep moving, it comes off and you get healthy.......again, Im no health dr or medical expert. Just a guy who lost a lot of weight.......
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    I get 2/3 of my daily deficit from cardio and 1/3 from eating less.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    So I keep reading on here that cardio is basically useless and yada yada. So my question is, simply for weight loss purposes only (not heart health) would cutting 200 calories from the day be the same as jogging for 20 mins and burning 200 calories? If I sound like a total airhead please forgive me lol. I've been following a strength program on the you are your own gym app and do that 4x a week. I also jog on the treadmill for 20mins after the strength workout. I'm just wondering if all the cardio is useless? I don't hate it but I don't love it either lol.

Edited for typos.

No, it's not useless. At all. Ever. Whoever told you that is severely misinformed

Not only is running good for your weight loss goals, it's also very good for your health.
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not useless at all. Sure, you can lose weight by just cutting calories, but all you are doing is losing fat and maybe some muscle. Loss of weight does equal healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options

Edited for typos.
    For heart health purposes............no. But you're right about the calories. If you want to make it more weight lifting oriented, do like 10 minutes of HIIT weight lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Cardio is definitely helpful! I do it every day, along with some Jillian Michaels style circuit training, and that (plus a calorie deficit, to be sure) is how I have lost all of my weight so far.
  • MeAnTtOBeThIn
    MeAnTtOBeThIn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Anything you are doing that you weren't doing before is never useless. Everyone's body handles it differently. I was on weight watchers before I got on here and lost 30 pounds doing just the treadmill and eating healthier. Then I joined Zumba, and I lost three pounds in one week...of course, it all depends on your eating habits...cutting calories isn't going to help you if you don't watch your fat and sugar and carb intakes as well....So experiment and see what works for you guys.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'd seriously question the credibility of anyone that tells you that cardio is useless...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Edited for typos.

Strictly in terms of weight loss (forgetting heart health, body composition) all exercise is equally "useless" ; people can, and have, lost weight through calorie restriction. Again, forgetting the other health benefits, adopting a more active lifestyle (your choice....cardio, sports, strength training or combination thereof) helps you develop habits that are more likely to lead to long term success in respect to weight loss (the recidivism rate for "diet alone" is atrocious)
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't get it.

I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for BOTH strength AND cardio. My husband is a weight lifter with lots of volume, wanted to get nice and cut/lean. Did so with cardio added to his weight training. I've never seen him looking so amazing!!!!

But yes, you can use cardio to add a deficit in your daily calories if that's what you are looking for. Just do what you love, what makes you feel good and powerful.

Lifting or cardio.... Do what will keep you going back for more. :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not useless. People who say that are ignorant. It's good for weight loss because it burns calories and it's good for improving health. It improves cardiovascular health (hense the nickname) and it improves fitness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Edited for typos.

Yes...actually, that's the way MFP is set up. It's a NEAT method calculator...your activity level should NOT include exercise...thus when you do log exercise, your calorie goal is increased to fuel that activity. This is designed to be a motivator for people to actually get off their *kitten* and get their fitness on. When people develop good fitness habits, they're more likely to keep weight off when they get to maintenance as exercise just generally allows individuals to eat/drink more.

The most efficient and effective way of incorporating a caloric deficit is through diet. Exercise is actually pretty inefficient. Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • jmw93
    jmw93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great comments on here...It would be great if there were a Like button! :wink:
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'd seriously question the credibility of anyone that tells you that cardio is useless...

Exactly. What they probably meant to say was that they are useless at cardio....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I wont go into whether it is useless or not but I would make the decision based on goals. Sometimes low cal diets make it hard to meet macro and micro nutrient goals. Increasing exercise can make it easier to eat more foods to get more nutrients. If your calories goals are high enough to meet nutrition goals then you can reduce the amount of exercise needed to create a deficit.

Increasing exercise also allows you to include more discretionary calories into your diet. This can be good for sticking to your diet and for mental health.