doing the macro shuffle, need help please

Options
Hi all :) I've got my macros set, however my love of avocado (half of one in my salad), and the little bit of fat hanging out in my cheese, chicken and beef leave me each day trying to find some foods to fit into my macros which are low in fat. As it stands, I've got 82g of carbs left to fit into today's meal plan, and 67g of protein. I seem to run into this a bunch.

I'm NOT trying to do a low-fat diet by any means, so no need to preach ;) Not trying to low-anything, just need help in balancing things out, when I'm all set on the fat content and still needing carbs and protein. This was much easier when I was on the low-carb bandwagon, but that's not a cycle I wish to repeat, as I realize it's possible to lose weight AND actually consume, you know....food. LOL

Replies

• sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    So basically you're looking for tasty foods that consist primarily of carbs & protein ?
    The first thing that comes to my mind is yoghurt ... yummy, moderate in protein and carbs (if you choose wisely) and mostly low fat.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    First, hehe, i LOVE your profile pic :D

Second, ya, yogurt is my go-to staple. I love it! I guess it would be better to give an idea of what I'm consuming on the regular, so here it goes...

Taking in roughly 1600-1700 calories-
    Breakfast- greek yogurt/coffee/2T light cream
    Midmorning snack- cheese stick and either some berries or broccoli & carrots
    Lunch- big ol' salad with ~5oz grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, garlic, salt, and pepper
    Afternoon snack- another yogurt or a piece of fruit
    Dinner- could be chicken, might be steak, even fish, with a side of veggies, a pat of butter, and some brown rice
    Evening snack- raw veggies and 2T dressing or bell peppers dipped in salsa

Nom. But I need help getting in more protein and carbs without repeating the same thing every day. Don't want to get bored!
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What is your ratio set at? What about a protein shake after working out? how about some oatmeal with some scrambled egg whites? seems you need about 150 calories. a shake with water will be around 150. 1/4 cup oatmeal in water (~75 cals) + ~20 calories and ~4g protein / egg white would get you to 150 if you added 4 egg whites. you can also put the whey protein in your oatmeal. i love my chocolate flav oatmeal w/PB in mornings after i lift. Boiled egg whites in your salad. trade one of your yogurts for beef jerky or boiled egg whites. cottage cheese for evening snack..just a few ideas..
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    My ratio is 30/40/30 C:P:F unless it's a bike ride day, then it's more like 45/30/25. I've always wondered about the oatmeal with scrambled egg whites. How is that intended to be prepared? Cook oatmeal, scramble egg whites, add scrambled egg whites to cooked oatmeal? Dump raw egg whites into oatmeal and cook together as one?

I do use the heck out of some boiled eggwhites in salads, etc. I should have mentioned that in my last post. Had a brain fart and couldnt remember what else I throw in there. LOL

Question: What would be the purpose of trading in a yogurt for jerky or egg whites? If I did that, I'd be even further behind in carbs :(
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i think the easy answer is protein powder, in a shake, in yogurt, on oatmeal. It doesnt matter how you get it but it is usually high in protein and carbs with very little fat. Another idea would be to spread your fat out through the day a little more meaning leaner or less chicken or less avo on the salad.

My final thought is that I would worry a whole lot about going over the fat macro as long as you 1) stay within your calories and 2) eat good fat like avos and nuts.
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a tasty protein shake? :)
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use 1/4 C oatmeal and ~1/3 C water (if oatmeal only) i add slightly more water if adding protein powder. nuke it for ~2-2.5 minutes. baby sit it b/c it may/will boil over! once i take it out i add a few splashes of ground cinnamon, a small scoop of whey powder, 2 tbsp of PB, stir and let sit for a minute or so then eat. i make my own egg whites and i will scramble 1 whole egg + 3 eggs without yoke or make an omelet with 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites with olive oil and a ~1/8 C of cheese and some diced tomatoes.

AST VP2, Trueathlete and EAS are a few. Find one that has a good whey protein, low sugar and the fewest amount of ingredients as possible.

sorry, I meant in addition to yogurt not in place of..
  • sylo1609
    sylo1609 Posts: 36
    Options
    First, hehe, i LOVE your profile pic :D

Second, ya, yogurt is my go-to staple. I love it! I guess it would be better to give an idea of what I'm consuming on the regular, so here it goes...

Taking in roughly 1600-1700 calories-
    Breakfast- greek yogurt/coffee/2T light cream
    Midmorning snack- cheese stick and either some berries or broccoli & carrots
    Lunch- big ol' salad with ~5oz grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, garlic, salt, and pepper
    Afternoon snack- another yogurt or a piece of fruit
    Dinner- could be chicken, might be steak, even fish, with a side of veggies, a pat of butter, and some brown rice
    Evening snack- raw veggies and 2T dressing or bell peppers dipped in salsa

Nom. But I need help getting in more protein and carbs without repeating the same thing every day. Don't want to get bored!

Thanks, yours looks great too! :P

That sounds like very clean eating to me!

Have you ever tried protein bars? They contain a considerable amount of carbs too and are often low in fat. I know they are expensive, but quite good imho, and there are lots of recipes for selfmade bars!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My ratio is 30/40/30 C:P:F unless it's a bike ride day, then it's more like 45/30/25. I've always wondered about the oatmeal with scrambled egg whites. How is that intended to be prepared? Cook oatmeal, scramble egg whites, add scrambled egg whites to cooked oatmeal? Dump raw egg whites into oatmeal and cook together as one?

I do use the heck out of some boiled eggwhites in salads, etc. I should have mentioned that in my last post. Had a brain fart and couldnt remember what else I throw in there. LOL

Question: What would be the purpose of trading in a yogurt for jerky or egg whites? If I did that, I'd be even further behind in carbs :(

If you find it hard to hit your protein and carb goals, maybe tweek your macros a bit. Honestly, there isn't anything magical about hitting 30/40/30 right on the nose. Maybe 27/37/36? If you find yourself within 5-15 grams of your macro goals, I wouldn't fret so much. The more important thing I believe is to hit your overall caloric goals, while feeling and having balance. It obviously depends o nyour goals, but if you are seeing the results that you are setting out for, then who is to say 30/40/30 is your optimal split? If not, then tweak them a little more. As long as you feel you are getting your daily requirements and you like your progress, I don't see the need to fit something into your diet if it doesn't fit.

EDIT: Apologies, just saw how far you were from your macro goals. If tweaking them doesn't work fully, maybe incorporating a protein powder that doesn't necessarily skimp on carbs may be an option. Something fun could be a protein shake and cookies for desert. You can hit your desired protein and carb goals, stay within your calories, and still hit your goals!
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Protein shake and cookies sounds nice :) I'm definitely liking the idea of not going low-carb. Not being able to have some yummies really makes losing weight a less pleasurable event. I have loads of recipes for clean baking, such as oatmeal cookies and such. I could probably even find a couple that incorporate protein powder in the recipe (not a real fan of shake).

Well, thanks for the tips, folks!

And lol- glad to see that the oatmeal and egg whites wasn't a mixed dish. I always thought, god, that sounds disgusting. Who puts egg whites in their oatmeal?? Glad I never embarked down that road, especially now that I see it was meant to be two separate items..... haha!

and protein bars....there are a few out there that i really enjoy a lot. i've tried to stay away from the processed stuff this go around, but i don't suppose a protein bar here and there is going to kill me.