No gym. Workout advice?

Options
As I live in such a pretty part of the world - with the beach to my right and a lovely lake-filled park to my left - I'm kind of loathe to join a gym. Is it possible to get everything I need done (in the workout sense) without it?

I'm 5'4 and 170lbs (female). Currently, I do the Couch25K training around the lake in the evening and I ensure I get my 10,000 steps every day with the help of a fitbit. Sometimes, I'll play tennis after the interval running too. I am also contemplating adding a 45 minute cardio exercise class in the park into the mix every morning. Is this enough cardio every day?

What about strength training? What can I be doing on a daily basis to ensure I'm on the right track? On the flexibility front, should I be doing 10 or 15 minutes of yoga every day?

This is usually the part where my mind explodes and I sit down to eat a comforting yogurt thanks to the confusion.

Replies

• taoistpunk
    taoistpunk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been using a resistance band...tons of youtube videos and it's a super flexible, single point solution to getting a well rounded resistance workout without hitting a gym or investing in free weights.

My wife likes it too ;)

just make sure you get a door anchor with your bands...I bought the band at a 5$ and below store, and added a 5$ anchor from amazon (I can send you a link if you like, as I'm very pleased with the quality).
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You really should add strength training to your routine. But NO you do NOT need a gym to accomplish what you want to do. I'd recommend you buy 5lb, 10lb and 15lb dumbbells and maybe a 10lb kettle bell. Not all too expensive but you will see better results than cardio only.
  • VanessaG02
    VanessaG02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No gym is needed! I also live close to the beach! Jogging on the beach is a great work out! Also yoga and pilates will definately help with flexibility, and toning. Kettle balls are awesome and very inexpensive.
  • cherissaporter
    Options
    Get a medicine ball!!!!

I absolutely love mine and they come in many different weights.
    I would start with a 8lbs and work your way up.

My fitness routine consists of waking up/ light stretch and meditation/ 5 mile jog/ one cardio exercise ( I usually do tae bo, like billy blanks tae bo)/ and then followed by 80 minutes of intense yoga stretching.

^
    This has worked wonders for me and may help.
  • KerryLovesCheese
    KerryLovesCheese Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, guys. I had to google 'kettle ball' because I have THAT little savvy when it comes to fitness. You learn something new every day, right?

My husband recently bought some free weights so I will start small with those for a few minutes every day. What about legs though? Anything cheap and cheerful that I can do to strengthen my legs without one of those clunky looking, nut-cracker type leg machines at the gym? Or will resistance bands do the trick?

So many questions, sorry!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either, but I do go to A LOT of yoga and spinning classes, run outdoors, go hiking, and do weight training at home with weighted ball, dumbbells, resistance bands, etc. When you have amazing nature around you, there's no point being in the gym. Get outside!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Check out cross fit type videos such as Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. They are free on youtube BeFit channel. Also, check out the Fitness section of Pinterest, PLENTY of workouts there that anyone can do. Good luck and as others said, you don't need a gym!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Get a work out dvd and do it all at home. Personally I love going to the gym.. I feel I'll accomplish more when I'm there than when I'm at home.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I live by the beach too:) check Tae Bo on youtube please, no need to go to the gym :)
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I recently downloaded the You Are Your Own Gym app, tons of excercises for every muscle, no equipment requied. They're all bodyweight exercises. You can pick and choose the exercise or there are premade programs. I'm on day 6 of the beginner one and my muscles have never been this sore lol. I love it!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, guys. I had to google 'kettle ball' because I have THAT little savvy when it comes to fitness. You learn something new every day, right?

My husband recently bought some free weights so I will start small with those for a few minutes every day. What about legs though? Anything cheap and cheerful that I can do to strengthen my legs without one of those clunky looking, nut-cracker type leg machines at the gym? Or will resistance bands do the trick?

So many questions, sorry!

Legs can be done with free weights as well. Lunges and squats done with 5 or 10lb free weights. Add in kick backs, leg lifts adn bridges to get the hammies and glutes. Jogging/running on the beach will tone your legs as well.
  • OgahpahBear
    Options
    You really don't need a gym to strength train. Your own body is a great way to strength train in the form of body weight exercises. Pushups, squats, lunges, burpees, and jump knee tucks are just a few of the exercises you can do at home without any additional equipment.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym person either. I've been doing a combo of biking to and from work (not far, but guaranteed movement every day), walking and jogging for my cardio, and yoga and pilates dvds for strength, along with some hand weights. I've seen great progress so far and feel SO MUCH better since I added the dvds in. They've definitely helped with my running form, as a bonus. I'd say 10-15 minutes of yoga probably isn't enough, but do what you have time for. Some is better than none. I try for 40 minutes to an hour most days.

Good luck!
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't always go to the gym.. I use resistance bands, free weights, a yoga ball and my body to build/tone muscle.
    Squats, lunges, frogs, weights behind the knee as you do leg lifts and donkey kickes and of course the bridge:)
    Abs you can do crunches in various positions to work upper, lower and obliques along with planks. (can also use the yoga ball)
    Arms - I use the free weights and a piece of furniture to do dips:)
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    don't do the gym, i work out at home using p90x, insanity, slim in 6..ect... got some weight and yoga balls at home. that's all i need
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I suggest Insanity or Jillian Michaels' DVDs. They've been working great for me!
  • KerryLovesCheese
    KerryLovesCheese Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just picked the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd, which I'm going to start tomorrow. This combines strength and cardio so, for now, I presume it'll be enough when combined with my Couch25K training on the beach and evening tennis sessions. Once my fitness improves, I hope I'll be able to add more into the mix. Thanks SO much for the advice, guys.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Our stats are pretty similar - 5'1", currently 190 after 2 years of not doing much due to injury but I have gotten myself in shape before without going to a gym and prefer to workout at home.

I love Chalene Johnson's programs for at home workouts. Right now, I'm in week 4 of 12 in TurboFire -intense cardio/HIIT classes (a step or 2 below P90X/Insanity ) that are a mix of kickboxing, dance, plyo, squats & lunges. It's lots of fun, high energy and gets great results - I'm dropping 6" a week. I haven't lost much weight but it's because I have health issues that make weight loss difficult but I have dropped a full clothing size.

If you buy the old dvd set from the Beachbody store on Amazon, it comes with strength training classes too - Core, Sculpt & Tone - that use resistance bands and a 40 minute dynamic stretching class that's like intense yoga. She also has a heavy weights program called ChaLean Extreme. In 2011, right before my injury (actually re-injury - it's a long story) I did 5 weeks of it following 4 months of cardio/strength and got super toned - like never toned that way before. All of Chalene's programs are designed to maximize the time you spend working out. I'm looking forward to combining both of these once I finish this round of TurboFire.

Whatever you do, find something you enjoy, Good luck!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    If you have a Wii you could get My Fitness Coach. I really like it, and it has got a lot of great reviews. Not the new one, mind you. The original. It also has a yoga mode for those days when you really don't feel like bouncing around like a meth addict.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either - too many restrictions with my medical issues. But I can do mostly everything at home that I need to do, and it must be working because I am still losing.

I walk, jog a little, do yoga 4 days a week, and I have hand weights at home as well. Pinterest is wonderful with simple workouts, and DVD's are great because you can do them whenever you want, not when the gym is open and you can get the machine you want or whatever.