Bulky Calves!!!!!!!

Options
Does anyone know how to prevent getting that large, bulky look in the lower legs?

I put on a pair of skinny jeans yesterday and couldn't believe how AWFUL they looked. My calves are as wide as my thighs from the back.

Any tips on reducing and preventing them from bulking up even more??

EDIT: I have only began noticing my bulky calves when I started to lose weight and going to the gym!

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, just don't wear skinny jeans.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Pictures of these bulky calves would help.
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Calves are one of the hardest muscles to "bulk up" on the body. The size of your calves is highly dependent on your genetics. Aside from avoiding isolation calf exercises and gaining weight, there is little you can do. If you have weight to lose, continue to do so and you should see a reduction in your calf size as well.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    A. Eat at a deficit to lose fat and avoid muscle gains.
    B. Just stop walking until the muscle atrophies.

Whatever is more convenient.
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Calves are sexy. Show me a bulky set calves as an example...
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Got the same problem here but I've always had it since as long as I can remember. Did lots of sports at school and this was the results I guess.

Interesting to see if anyone has any ideas but I don't think you can change it :frown:
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I hate my giant calves too... I know that there's no spot reducing... I guess the only solution is to get as much fat off as possible.:grumble:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I have the genetics for big calves... I try to just love 'em and not think about all the knee-high boots I'm not wearing :sad:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Calves are one of the hardest muscles to "bulk up" on the body. The size of your calves is highly dependent on your genetics. Aside from avoiding isolation calf exercises and gaining weight, there is little you can do. If you have weight to lose, continue to do so and you should see a reduction in your calf size as well.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

What he said!
  • johnglenn1973
    Options
    Did you acquire bulky calves or have you had those calves your whole life? I've always had big calves and was very self-conscious about it my early years (could never wear high tops, or "jams" <--- :)) Eventually the rest of my body and legs caught up with calves and now they look a little more proportionate. In fact, I consider myself lucky as I don't have to work them out and they are exquisite :)

Embrace your calves!
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Bump for muscular calves.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Is is muscle or fat? If it's fat eat at deficit.

If it's muscle, I'll trade you.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Whether I've been at my smallest, or at my largest, my calves have remained basically the same size: huge! I can't wear skinny jeans, I very rarely can find a pair of boots go over them (and definitely not with pants tucked in), and since I've started exercising it seems to have worsened, not gotten better. Sigh. It's been a problem since high school, so no matter how much weight I lose, I suspect it will still be a problem. It's genetic.

My sister has the same trouble, even when she was a size 4.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    A. Eat at a deficit to lose fat and avoid muscle gains.
    B. Just stop walking until the muscle atrophies.

Whatever is more convenient.

QFT
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sorry you can't spot reduce! I was a dancer in a past life and even then I had large calves. I'e faced the fact that while my legs may get toned and muscular, i will never have small calves! Its just the way i'm built!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Is is muscle or fat? If it's fat eat at deficit.

If it's muscle, I'll trade you.

This, except I won't trade. I've got awesome "bulky" calves already.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    IN for pics!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    IN for pics!

x10000000000
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I put on a pair of skinny jeans yesterday and couldn't believe how AWFUL they looked.

Well duh! That's hipster clothing. It's not supposed to be normal. Why would you want your calves to conform to that?