Fruit

Options
I'm pretty new to this counting calories thing and while I have noticed to positive results and definite changes to my eating habits already, I'm confused about one thing, fruit.

I have a friend doing another weight lose program and on that any fresh fruit or veg is free, They can eat as much as they want without it affecting their daily totals. Hungry? Have a carrot. Looking for a snack, grab an apple.

What I've noticed is that everything appears to cost when I'm using this method. More than once I've fancied maybe an apple or home made fruit salad however the calorie count appears to be huge.

Why would this be?? Am I just reading this wrong or misinterpreting stuff.

Thanks

Replies

• mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    Well, fruit definitely has more calories than vegetables, and you're supposed to have about 2-3 servings of fruit a day compared to 5 or more veggies servings. An apple is only about 80 calories, so by all means eat fruit if you're hungry and want to eat something. Fruit is always a good choice, but holds a lot of calories. Most vegetables however carry very few calories, so you can eat piles of veggies and not rack up too many calories.
  • ulphy
    ulphy Posts: 1
    Options
    What Mtziny said! ather annoying considering most fruit tastes a lot better than vegetables!
  • fivedaily
    Options
    I looove fruit and HATE :explode: that is cost me so many calories! I also love fruit juice, but it just "cost" too many calories. So I've given up the fruit juice and have started eating sugar free jello to curb my fruit craving. I still have a couple pieces of fruit a day. :bigsmile:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Fruits are often high on sugar.
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the replies.

I'm grazing cherry tomato's from the greenhouse as these seem low.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this counting calories thing and while I have noticed to positive results and definite changes to my eating habits already, I'm confused about one thing, fruit.

I have a friend doing another weight lose program and on that any fresh fruit or veg is free, They can eat as much as they want without it affecting their daily totals. Hungry? Have a carrot. Looking for a snack, grab an apple.

What I've noticed is that everything appears to cost when I'm using this method. More than once I've fancied maybe an apple or home made fruit salad however the calorie count appears to be huge.

Thanks

Sometimes you have fancied an apple?? Eat one then, it is a sight better for you than some biscuit, cake or a sweet which is what you could end up "oh just this once" eating, whereas if you had eaten that apple, although it is around 70(ish) calories, it is natural, good for you and yummy!

I adore oranges, I often have two per day and it pushes my sugar through the roof, so what did I do? I removed my sugar tracking. I have denied myself a hell of a lot in this eating plan, which, I hasten to add is for life, I am blowed if I am going to deny myself my oranges too! I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: oranges!

You can, with careful planning, have a piece of fruit for dessert after lunch and dinner, it will just take planning for the main meal.

Fruit is wonderful, people go on about the sugar in it, but sugar is in a lot of things, at least in fruit it is not processed.

Don't deny yourself everything you enjoy, fruit is definitely one thing you can "indulge" in for weightloss, it is full of goodness x :flowerforyou:
  • tefleon
    tefleon Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Thanks

Sometimes you have fancied an apple?? Eat one then, it is a sight better for you than some biscuit, cake or a sweet which is what you could end up "oh just this once" eating, whereas if you had eaten that apple, although it is around 70(ish) calories, it is natural, good for you and yummy!

I adore oranges, I often have two per day and it pushes my sugar through the roof, so what did I do? I removed my sugar tracking. I have denied myself a hell of a lot in this eating plan, which, I hasten to add is for life, I am blowed if I am going to deny myself my oranges too! I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: oranges!

You can, with careful planning, have a piece of fruit for dessert after lunch and dinner, it will just take planning for the main meal.

Fruit is wonderful, people go on about the sugar in it, but sugar is in a lot of things, at least in fruit it is not processed.

Don't deny yourself everything you enjoy, fruit is definitely one thing you can "indulge" in for weightloss, it is full of goodness x :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the reply.

It was a case of apple or cake, I was more curious to how one plan can claim you can eat as many as you want when they clearly have an impact.

For me, breakfast is worst. I picked up a bowl of fruit, glass of orange the other day thinking I was doing the right thing and nearly fell over when the figures went in.

Still plodding on and trying to work out the best foods to go with. Today I had a mini craving for a Maccy D's until I checked them and decided against! Just thinking how many Big Tasty's with bacon I've had as a snack over the last year at 800+ before fries and a drink just makes me cringe!!

:O)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think a reason why your friend's program works is that fruit and veggies have lots of fiber and water content. Occasionally I have done a day of eating mostly fruit for cleansing purposes, and it is hard to get your calories in that way. I have eaten, for example, a grapefruit, banana, cherries, and a nectarine for breakfast, been stuffed, yet only consumed 300 calories. The trick is to avoid the syrups in purchased fruit salad and not drinking too much juice.