Best time to workout?

Options
What do you think? Morning or evening, and why?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Whatever time that you'll adhere to long term.

Otherwise, doesn't matter.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Being consistent is the most important thing. I can only control my early morning so I workout before work. For me it is the best time. It also lets me enjoy knowing all day that I've done my good work and I don't have to worry about trying to get it in throughout the rest of the day. Also, I get a big surge of energy from working out and it would be a shame to have to waste it by working out too close to bedtime and then having to try and sleep through it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There is no "best time" for everyone. Different people perform best at different times of day. If it weren't for work I'd be doing my workouts everyday at between 10-11am because that's when I perform best.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Anytime at all, is the best time!
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Morning. I'm more motivated then. I have the time, without the interruptions. I have NO time to talk myself out of it. I feel good all day because I did it and I'm DONE. If I try to do it in the evening I am more likely to make excuses about why I can't do it. And If I don't talk myself out of it, I get 5 mins in and someone needs something and it's GOT to be mom that helps :)
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm always told morning, but in all honesty, I truly believe it's whenver you feel you have the most energy. If you don't have time during that particular time, just go. Who cares!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Whatever time that you'll adhere to long term.

Otherwise, doesn't matter.

^ This is solid.

They say the optimum time to workout is between the hours of 4pm - 6pm, because that's when your body's core temperature is the highest. Personally I hit the gym at 4am because I don't like going with the 1,314,743 other people that want to go after work. It fits my schedule, and I honestly enjoy the AM training. But I agree with adini, if you can't stick with it long term, it doesn't really matter.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Whatever is the best time for you. My best time is in the morning; it improves my energy for the rest of the day. (except on rare occasions)

My worst time is in the late afternoon/evening. I'm too tired, unless I exercised that morning. Then I have enough energy to leave work and get something productive done, like weeding a flower bed. If I didn't exercise earlier, all I want to do after work is lay around and watch Netflix.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I go for my run at lunch time at work (this works out best for my schedule) once in a while ill do it before work but that is hit or miss. I have a pull up bar and dip station I made at work (I work maintaince at a large facility) I also have been able to design a weight bar using 1 inch PVC coated rigid pipe and using concrete blocks for my weights. So i get it in during my work schedule.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can consistently get access to a power rack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can blow it the **** up....
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think there are hundreds of factors that need to be considered for each individual and their personal situations. If the question was, "What is the best time for YOU to work out?", MY answer would be early morning (4-6am). Wake up, 12oz water, 5min Hot shower to get the blood pumping, 5 minutes of reflection and self-motivation (talking to myself) and get busy. I do this because it jump starts my metabolism for the rest of the day. I will do occasional workouts between the hours of 4-6pm in addition to or to make-up a missed morning, but not later than that or I am lying in bed starring at the ceiling till about 2am.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Whatever is the best time for you. My best time is in the morning; it improves my energy for the rest of the day. (except on rare occasions)

My worst time is in the late afternoon/evening. I'm too tired, unless I exercised that morning. Then I have enough energy to leave work and get something productive done, like weeding a flower bed. If I didn't exercise earlier, all I want to do after work is lay around and watch Netflix.

this and also whenever you will actually go lol

I wanted to swim in the mornings before work but apparently it is a bit busier then and I kind of loathe sharing a lane because most people have no clue how to share a lane properly. And even when they do, it still doesn't work well unless you are doing the same sets.

So I am going at like 8pm because it is quieter and I will actually go :)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is the time that you will actually do it - and that could be different every day.

During the week, if I go to the gym, it HAS to be after work, because there's no way I'm getting up early enough to drive to the gym (that extra travel time adds at least 30 minutes to my routine) - and that would also mean no breakfast for me. On Wednesday, my local triathlon club holds tri practice at 6pm, so that has to be after work too. Whereas if I'm working out at home (running, biking, dvd), I'll get up and do it before work...weekends, I try to be up and working out by 8-9am. :)

I prefer working out in the morning, because then I know exactly how many calories I have to eat....but sometimes, my body doesn't agree with me (or in the case of running and biking, mother nature foils my morning plans).
  • mrsroc2010
    mrsroc2010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm always told morning, but in all honesty, I truly believe it's whenver you feel you have the most energy. If you don't have time during that particular time, just go. Who cares!

I'm with you..sometimes everything works out perfectly and you can stick to a schedule but those other more frequent times when things are out of control, I say do what you can when you can,every little bit counts.Whenever
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Morning for me, gives me energy for the day. If i workout in the evening/night I stay awake till late.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the evening. I'm not a morning person and I move like a slug for the first couple of hours after I wake up. By evening time I'm alert and ready to go hard.

It's all about personal preference, though. Lots of people work out first thing in the morning. Workout timing has no effect on weight loss or health.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I usually run in the morning. Mostly, that's because I'm living in Florida and it's simply far too hot later in the day for my tastes. Plus, we tend to get thunderstorms in the afternoon / evening and that just gets in the way.

Normally, I prefer to work out in the evenings because, when trying to fit it in around my job, it's easier for me to stay up later than to wake up earlier. (I can run in the morning because my job gives us some time during the day for exercise, so I use that time allotment and go running when I first get to the office.)
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Morning because it's not so damn hot.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would love to get to the gym in the morning, by I have a 2 year old so that kind of kills that idea. I go right after work...