Strong Lifts 5 x 5 program for the beginner :)

Options

Replies

• cbp_07
    cbp_07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. This is an awesome and easy explanation of the program for us visual people, thanks for posting!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    save for the day I am strong enough to complete

Ditto!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Those were just example weights...not the actual weight one would necessarily start with. You start small and progressively load. Anyone can do it...this type of strength routine is the fastest way to actually get strong...it is meant for the beginner, which means it is meant for you.
  • sunshinesquared
    Options

Those were just example weights...not the actual weight one would necessarily start with. You start small and progressively load. Anyone can do it...this type of strength routine is the fastest way to actually get strong...it is meant for the beginner, which means it is meant for you.

Thanks for clarifying this....
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • niekkosgirl
    niekkosgirl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

My wife did Starting Strength with me (similar program) and she started out using the pre-loaded bar bells with all of her movements. She now uses the olympic bar and plates...just as an example, she started out squatting 1RM of the Olympic Bar and repped with 25 Lbs...she now reps with 145 Lbs (she weighs 120 Lbs and is 5'2"). Mind you, this is about 7 months of progress
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Thank you!
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, THANK YOU. Bookmarked. :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    that's great, thanks!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • sunshinesquared
    Options

My wife did Starting Strength with me (similar program) and she started out using the pre-loaded bar bells with all of her movements. She now uses the olympic bar and plates...just as an example, she started out squatting 1RM of the Olympic Bar and repped with 25 Lbs...she now reps with 145 Lbs (she weighs 120 Lbs and is 5'2"). Mind you, this is about 7 months of progress

^^Wow!!! Super impressive! Thanks for the added tips. Bought and read NRLFW and found it much too confusing. The visual by the OP makes much more sense to me!
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    Just started StrongLifts last week and I'm liking it so far. Just feels like I'm not doing enough right now. Weights are so light I have to constantly stop myself from putting more on.
    Do you do cardio with this as well?

Concentrate on getting good form now while the load is light! With the progressive loading, it will soon get heavy! There are lots of good YouTube vids out there to help with form (e.g. by Mehdi or Mark Rippetoe).

Do cardio if you like. I do it on my non-lifting days.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Anyone can do this program. It is suggest you start with just the bar, which should not pose much of a problem for anyone.

Youtube has TONS of good videos regarding proper form. The above-mentioned Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe goes into crazy detail on the base exercises and he also has some great form videos that support the material in the book.

There is no reason to wait. Everyone can benefit from compound lifting.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    bUMPO!