Quick Weight Loss Centers?

Options
So I know 2 people now who have used them, loved them and dropped the weight. I'm just curious what your thoughts are on them? Have you used one and been successful, been unsuccessful? How do they work?

Just curious.

Replies

• jlholley
    jlholley Posts: 1
    Options
    I used them and they helped me lose the weight quickly, but it is pricey! My verdict is still out on them. I think I just needed to be held accountable and for me, dishing out some money kept me on track.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a calorie deficit is free.

Just sayin'.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Fast? Maybe?
    Sustainable? Hell no.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I tried Jenny Craig. Well, what you are paying for is frozen dinners mostly. They also say you pay for them motivating you and for the investment in your health. However, the meals are EXPENSIVE - twice as much as regular frozen dinners you could get at the store, with just about the same nutrients in them. they say they have better nutrients, however, they are pretty much THE SAME. So I do not recommend them, unless its what works for you, because you could do it for less amount and cook at home, and save money and have better nutrition.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend against them. I used one when I was starting my weight loss. 500-800 calories a day was allowed of lean proteins. In weeks 2 and 3 you could start eating veggies. I had to go in twice a week for vitamin injections, take daily appetite suppressants and heaps of vitamins since everything was lacking in my diet.

I started with 2 co-workers:
    1. Lost ~ 50 pounds, then couldn't afford to keep going and the diet he had learned so far wasn't sustainable sooooo... Back to old habits and he weighs more now than before
    2. Lost some weight, gained some back, lost some weight, is a yo-yo dieter who will try any fad diet thrown her way.
    3. I lost some weight but felt like crap and was spending a ton of money. I did some research and just started eating healthier and exercising. Lost a bunch of weight and got healthy.

They basically put you on a low fat ketogenic diet. I did learn from this experience that my body responds well to cutting carbs. Now that I'm close to my goal I'm cutting carbs again, but eating in a healthy calorie range and losing really well. You don't need a center to help you do this. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    quick in the name implies to me ............. quick fix . ...............beyond the skepticism if it will work at all which I honestly don't know

#1. will you be losing just a number of lbs on a scale.. much of it will be muscle and you will not have the "fit" (I wont use the T word) look you want

and #2 if you don't change your habits, whats saying you wont go back to the habits you had before.. after this drastic quick fix shock to your system

slow and steady is the healthy and sustainable way to go............you didn't get to your current position "quickly" you wont get out of it "quickly"

change your habits.. caloric deficit ... however you choose to arrive at it.. small caloric deficit eliminating some of your bad habit foods gradually as you go , but not depriving yourself

id recommend strength training in combination with cardio on the exercise side

just my two cents.. its kinda what worked for me and since I did it gradually its something I have a good chance of sustaining and not disappointing myself
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple. I lost some weight. I gained the weight back. Too much money, for temporary results.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

...and sustainable.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

this
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

...and sustainable.

^ This. Plus there's this nifty free website that can help you with this. Let me know if you need the link.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Don't bother, tried several, lost weight fairly quickly, gained it back almost as fast when I quit due to any one of the following: got too expensive, reached the goal I wanted to reach but not the goal they wanted me to reach and they started high pressure tactics, didn't lose anything at all (which they blamed on me not using their products, all of which contained things that I had food allergies to), lost the weight but couldn't sustain the diet they wanted me to stay on because it was all or nothing their way (if it wasn't on the list I couldn't have it), they couldn't explain basic health concerns even though they were "medical professionals", would plateau and when they couldn't get me off it they would say that I "must be cheating" (wasn't, it was just my body was begging for food and started hoarding what ever it could get out of what I ate.)

Spent the past two years gaining back what I lost on the last round, but what I've gained in the past year is due to building and toning muscles which, once my system finally believes that I'm not going to go into that diet mode again and it won't end up starving I should start losing again (I do cardio and strength training and I went to a registered dietician through my health insurance and got put on a reasonable and acceptable eating plan
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

...and sustainable.

^ This. Plus there's this nifty free website that can help you with this. Let me know if you need the link.

he shoots , he scores!! +100
  • CelesteTX
    CelesteTX Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on my 7th week with QWLC and it has been an amazing experience. In the past I have tried all kind of diets and workouts. This has been an excellent diet plan, I am never hungry and have energy to work out. I was very skeptical at first when I signed up and paid $499 for the initial charge. Then in a week I had to buy more snacks and a few supplements from them. but I have lost 20 pounds in 7 weeks. I would recommend this diet plan to anyone!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I am on my 7th week with QWLC and it has been an amazing experience. In the past I have tried all kind of diets and workouts. This has been an excellent diet plan, I am never hungry and have energy to work out. I was very skeptical at first when I signed up and paid $499 for the initial charge. Then in a week I had to buy more snacks and a few supplements from them. but I have lost 20 pounds in 7 weeks. I would recommend this diet plan to anyone!
    well, that's unfortunate. Your 20 lbs have been from your bank account. Just wait until it's over and check back in.
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight on the Medifast plan. I actually feel great, haven't lost muscle, but am now here on the MFP boards, trying to manage my transition to a lifelong maintenance plan that works for me. I have to say that I did start my weightloss on a low-carb plan (aka Good Calories, Bad Calories), but it was taking too long for my impatient nature. I saw two of my friends lose a significant amount of weight rather quickly and basically paid to have someone tell me what to do. Between being held accountable weekly in a center andy by my husband, who will kick my *kitten* if I blow this money, it's worked so far. :)

That does lead me to the "what the hell do I do now?" scenario. I am sick and tired of feeling like I'm on a ketosis hamster wheel and am finally perusing these communities to determine my best next step. I'm actually coming to the realization that if I do the whole TDEE thing and continue log my calories, this weightloss just may stick.

Weighloss centers do help you lose the weight, but keeping it off? That's all up to you (and now me!).