Just HATING my pear shape :( How to change it!?

Options
13»

Replies

• CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I wish you werent so stuck on the whole dancer long lean leg thing and avoiding lifting heavy weights mindset, because lifting heavy weights while eating at a deficit will make your legs and behind amazing.

my legs look more lean as I go, and well they are just long just because they are.

I would look into a program with compound lifts...you wont get bulky eating at a deficit...and no matter what fruit you are, it does amazing things for a body.

I am almost 42 and getting smaller every week.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Before ( and I could have set a drink on my butt shelf)

33110506_7732.jpg

Now:

7f41c325-286c-4ed1-aac7-40d107a2f288_zps6bda06b6.jpg
    10d07acd-bfef-4a9b-ad50-15bc455d2390_zps6e01fdc9.jpg
    squat_zps65835ba2.gif
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a pear shape. I carry most of my excess weight in my hips and thighs. I have always hated it but after having lost my weight and getting so many comments on how small my waist is (which initially i took as...look how small your waist is in comparison to your hips!) I am now a lot more accepting of it. I avoided lower body weight work for a long time but now I think I will just try and make it strong. I still have fat to lose from that area and hopefully as i lose the next 20-40 pounds I will slim down a lil bit there...but the reality is....I am a pear shape and always will be....my focus is simply to become the best me I can be with what I have :)
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear shape. I wouldn't have it any other way. I decided to dedicate myself into making my body shape BETTER. A better diet, a good cardio, weight training routine should do the trick. Sorry to say, the only thing you can do about your body if you 'hate' it is to do the same. I'm sure that once it starts looking better, you'll feel better about it. Good luck.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I wish you werent so stuck on the whole dancer long lean leg thing and avoiding lifting heavy weights mindset, because lifting heavy weights while eating at a deficit will make your legs and behind amazing.

my legs look more lean as I go, and well they are just long just because they are.

I would look into a program with compound lifts...you wont get bulky eating at a deficit...and no matter what fruit you are, it does amazing things for a body.

I am almost 42 and getting smaller every week.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Before ( and I could have set a drink on my butt shelf)

33110506_7732.jpg

Now:

7f41c325-286c-4ed1-aac7-40d107a2f288_zps6bda06b6.jpg
    10d07acd-bfef-4a9b-ad50-15bc455d2390_zps6e01fdc9.jpg
    squat_zps65835ba2.gif

Okay, you are awesome.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes...awesome!!! And inspiring..thanks!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    First, a pear shape is very "normal" and a lot of people find it attractive. Learn to accept it, even love it. If everyone was a barbie hour glass the world would be a very boring place.

Second, like Niner said, you can de-emphysize your pear shape but adding bulk to your upper body (shoulders, lats, arms, traps, etc).
    Can't change your shape, but you can create an illusion of a more hour glass figure by "widening" your shoulders. Beef up the side delts for this.

If everyone was a true Barbie hour glass we'd have a lot of women with back problems.

OP, we all have things about our bodies we don't like, work towards changing the ones you can like body composition, and start accepting and loving the things you can't change (short of surgery). I used to see myself as a flat chested tomboy with thunder thighs. Now I see myself as an athletic female with strong legs and a fantastic rear. Its a slow process to readjust but when you start valuing the things your body can do, more than the way it looks, the brain starts to catch up and realize how awesome you are.
    No one has Barbie's proportions. It isn't possible. But you can be a true hourglass and not have back problems.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    First, a pear shape is very "normal" and a lot of people find it attractive. Learn to accept it, even love it. If everyone was a barbie hour glass the world would be a very boring place.

Second, like Niner said, you can de-emphysize your pear shape but adding bulk to your upper body (shoulders, lats, arms, traps, etc).
    Can't change your shape, but you can create an illusion of a more hour glass figure by "widening" your shoulders. Beef up the side delts for this.

If everyone was a true Barbie hour glass we'd have a lot of women with back problems.

OP, we all have things about our bodies we don't like, work towards changing the ones you can like body composition, and start accepting and loving the things you can't change (short of surgery). I used to see myself as a flat chested tomboy with thunder thighs. Now I see myself as an athletic female with strong legs and a fantastic rear. Its a slow process to readjust but when you start valuing the things your body can do, more than the way it looks, the brain starts to catch up and realize how awesome you are.
    No one has Barbie's proportions. It isn't possible. But you can be a true hourglass and not have back problems.

I beg to differ: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2272066/Real-life-Barbie-Ken-Valeria-Lukyanova-Justin-Jedlica-meet-hate-sight-other.html :tongue:

I was just making the point that the highly coveted hour glass figure isn't THE ULTIMATE FORM OF FEMININE BEAUTY like so many women think it is. Its something you're born with or you're not.... or you're going to pay big bucks in cosmetic surgery to achieve. No point in wasting prime years of your life hating something that can't actually be changed. Make the best of what you have.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    No one ever likes their body shape. I'm an hourglass shape and I hate it. I wish I was pear shape! I think it's beautiful.
    Speak for yourself. I LOVE being a pear. It makes me feel more feminine because I'm a tomboy.
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm a pear shape too. I have struggled with accepting my body for so long. Oh so long.
    But unlike you, I don't even have a nice full bust to counter balance my bottom.

I'm a 28AA (think 12 year old girl buying her first training bra). My waist is 24, hips are 34.

But, I saw recent pictures of myself from running my first 5K and yes, I look a bit hippy (because hey, I have hips), but I don't look nearly as disproportionate as I used to. I do a lot of heavy weight lifting, and worked on my shoulders and upper body. It has really done wonders to visually balance me out. Plus when I wear strapless clothing or tank tops (which I love to do since I don't worry about having to wear a bra for support), my shoulders and arms look AMAZING.

And squats? Your butt and thighs will look amazing. Being a pear shape, I found that even with all the running I do, my legs were still squishy and I had a lot of cellulite. Since incorporating heavy weights and concentrating on my lower body, my cellulite is barely noticeable. I've also reduced my body fat percentage and lost nearly 2 inches off my waist line, which makes me look deceptively curvier than I am, despite my flat chest. And my legs look longer (I am short), and leaner. I started measuring my thighs and I've lost an inch off each one, which is SO HARD for me because my body wants to store all my fat there. My legs are leaner, and I'm a faster runner too than before I started lifting. Strong does not mean bulky. My legs are stronger than they've ever been, but slimmer!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I beg to differ: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2272066/Real-life-Barbie-Ken-Valeria-Lukyanova-Justin-Jedlica-meet-hate-sight-other.html :tongue:

I was just making the point that the highly coveted hour glass figure isn't THE ULTIMATE FORM OF FEMININE BEAUTY like so many women think it is. Its something you're born with or you're not.... or you're going to pay big bucks in cosmetic surgery to achieve. No point in wasting prime years of your life hating something that can't actually be changed. Make the best of what you have.
    Agreed. 8% of the female population is hourglass. I truly love being an hourglass, but it was the luck of the genetic gene pool. Though, I wouldn't mind smaller breasts.

As for the Barbie thing, I meant naturally. :-) And I've seen that chick before. She's ... um ... Well, I don't want to be mean!
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I guess some don't know when they have been blessed body wise. Hating your body be it jokingly or not isn't good energy to put out there. Embrace your pear shape and make it the best you can. If your wanting to make it better try upping your upper body strength training.
  • kdlfit
    kdlfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd love to post a picture of three ladies, one at 123lbs, one at 132lbs and the third at 137lbs. The first two are apple shapes, the third a pear. The third is much nicer looking than the other two. I'm a pear also. I'm learning to appreciate my shape and not compare myself to the more straight up and down ones.

I'd suggest you do shoulder & back exercises with as heavy as weights as possible without causing injury. This will create a more proportionate v shape.