Strong Lifts 5 x 5 program for the beginner :)

Options

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Mrskmacca
    Mrskmacca Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    saving for after my insanity!
  • TreEe5
    TreEe5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • 07JKGirl
    07JKGirl Posts: 45
    Options
    Bump
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    save
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    Just started StrongLifts last week and I'm liking it so far. Just feels like I'm not doing enough right now. Weights are so light I have to constantly stop myself from putting more on.
    Do you do cardio with this as well?

Concentrate on getting good form now while the load is light! With the progressive loading, it will soon get heavy! There are lots of good YouTube vids out there to help with form (e.g. by Mehdi or Mark Rippetoe).

Do cardio if you like. I do it on my non-lifting days.

Cool, thanks!

I'd stick with Rippletoe for form. Mehdi is starting to badly sacrifice form to put up numbers. His ego is getting the best of him.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    Just started StrongLifts last week and I'm liking it so far. Just feels like I'm not doing enough right now. Weights are so light I have to constantly stop myself from putting more on.
    Do you do cardio with this as well?

Concentrate on getting good form now while the load is light! With the progressive loading, it will soon get heavy! There are lots of good YouTube vids out there to help with form (e.g. by Mehdi or Mark Rippetoe).

Do cardio if you like. I do it on my non-lifting days.

Cool, thanks!

I'd stick with Rippletoe for form. Mehdi is starting to badly sacrifice form to put up numbers. His ego is getting the best of him.

yeah, don't watch his "daily workouts" He's got vids on his site that show proper form, with light weights, and also from his users.

Also, one nitpick about the original graphic in this thread.... It does NOT show proper barbell row form!! Your back should be paralell with the floor, not inclined like shown in the graphic.

Stronglifts page about barbell form: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-barbell-row-technique/
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this, thanks for posting : )
  • SarahLP88
    SarahLP88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks! :)
  • azmiz
    azmiz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great post. Question: If I wanted to start lifting and still lose weight would I eat at a surplus on strength training days (Mon, Wed, Fri) then at a deficit on the other days?
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good visual.

The important thing is to pick a program with (1) compound lifts, (2) that teaches proper form, and (3) that incorporates progressive overload.

Strong Lifts
    Starting Strength
    5/3/1
    New Rules of Lifting

yes. very good programs,

but i would like to add that in my experience 5/3/1 is not always suited for beginners. getting as close to max effort as the 3rd week of a 5/3/1 macrocycle requires them to has sometimes resulted in some extreme breaks in form. this is due to weak stabilizing musculature or poor body-awareness. 2-3 months of one of the other programs usually takes care of that though.
  • pjol79
    pjol79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks!