ADVICE NEEDED ON STARTING EXCERCISING PLEASE!

Options
hi
Before anyone suggests joining a gym or getting a personal trainer , i live in the middle of no where and no one would let me join anyway because of my medical problems... which is prolapsed discs in my neck and lower back, i need surgery but cant have it until i lose the weight, i gained when my discs went and pressed on the spinal cords. I couldnt even stand up never mind cook for the family so ordered takeaways etc :S now im on regular healthier meals which is helping with the weight loss but i would like to be able to move more and get my independence back :)

swimming is no good , feels like someones cut me off at the waist and ive tried walking (i used to walk for hours every day) but i think im doing to much, so need to know when to stop or i end up flat on my back for a week or so grrr.

consultants recommend i find some exercises but offer no physio or help i have to find it myself :P Help!

Replies

• nika_bolinhos
    Options
    Hello,

I'm not quite sure on how to help you. I think maybe to consult with a physiotherapist. He/she could put together a routine of exercises that are appropriate for you. You said you live in the middle of nowhere, so that makes it a bit harder. You said swimming is no good, how about just walking around the pool or hidrogymnastics, I know it's a popular thing with older people for good reasons and reasons I think might fit with you at the moment.
    Other than that I would invest in some exercise rubber bands, they are usually more gently on people than weights and they help you to keep your movements precise. I hope this helps somehow and that you get better soon.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    hi
    Before anyone suggests joining a gym or getting a personal trainer , i live in the middle of no where and no one would let me join anyway because of my medical problems... which is prolapsed discs in my neck and lower back, i need surgery but cant have it until i lose the weight, i gained when my discs went and pressed on the spinal cords. I couldnt even stand up never mind cook for the family so ordered takeaways etc :S now im on regular healthier meals which is helping with the weight loss but i would like to be able to move more and get my independence back :)

swimming is no good , feels like someones cut me off at the waist and ive tried walking (i used to walk for hours every day) but i think im doing to much, so need to know when to stop or i end up flat on my back for a week or so grrr.

consultants recommend i find some exercises but offer no physio or help i have to find it myself :P Help!

My back sucked and I started hiking. I'd do a hike, and be out of commission on my back for a few days. I kept doing it and the more I did it the better it got. I went from doing 30min hikes to 16km hikes. The back pain stayed about the same. Then I started doing free weights. I can't express how much better my back felt. Everyone else was starting at about 45lbs and I was starting with 7lb dumbbells but worked my way up to 80lb barbell. I no longer feel pain in my back, despite extra bones being there.
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How about a hand bike?
  • m0jk
    m0jk Posts: 133
    Options
    hi

My back sucked and I started hiking. I'd do a hike, and be out of commission on my back for a few days. I kept doing it and the more I did it the better it got. I went from doing 30min hikes to 16km hikes. The back pain stayed about the same. Then I started doing free weights. I can't express how much better my back felt. Everyone else was starting at about 45lbs and I was starting with 7lb dumbbells but worked my way up to 80lb barbell. I no longer feel pain in my back, despite extra bones being there.

thanks thats very helpful to know.. im gonna try that ;) i can handle the pain as long as i know its gonna pay off :)