Why are my numbers so high? - MFP calories burned

Options
I have been logging my activity over the past few days (walking, zumba etc). However, the numbers seems to be extremely high .
I know that my burn won't be the same as someone else's as height and weight are factored in. However, 842 calories burned while doing Zumba doesn't seem realistic!

Replies

• MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Yeah, their numbers are often way higher than the actual calories burned. I don't eat my exercise calories because of this, but if you're someone who does, maybe invest in a heart rate monitor to get the actual amount burned.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM (I love mine and recommend it highly Polar FT7), then I generally cut in half the calorie burn MFP gives.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Yup...HRM is the way to go, IMHO. I found that the calorie burns were closer when I first got it (had a lot more weight to lose then), and are way off kilter, now that I'm within 15 pounds of goal. (The HRM shows lower numbers than MFP.)
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Actually although MPF calories have been higher, it hasn't been that far off, maybe 8-10% when compared to my HRM. And it is very possible, when giving your all to burn 800+ cals in Zumba. The best way to know for sure is to get a heart rate monitor.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't own an HRM, but I make sure to use a couple of different calorie calculators to arrive at an approximate number. If you are very worried about going over, eat back half your exercise calories. That should be a good start.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    for me the numbers here are about 1/3 high... I use endomondo with a blue tooth HRM strap for my gym work outs and runtastic with the same strap for running... the machines also give me an inflated number...
  • honeyvee89
    honeyvee89 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think I'll definitely look in to getting a heart rate monitor. There are just too many to choose from...