Bulky Calves!!!!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to prevent getting that large, bulky look in the lower legs?

I put on a pair of skinny jeans yesterday and couldn't believe how AWFUL they looked. My calves are as wide as my thighs from the back.

Any tips on reducing and preventing them from bulking up even more??

EDIT: I have only began noticing my bulky calves when I started to lose weight and going to the gym!

start squatting heavier. i don't know about anybody else, but it sounds like the thighs are the problem to me.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have the bulky calf gene, I like it, it means I'll never get cankles.

Here are mine. I'm 5'5" and the rest of me is about a size 6/8. I have the big calf gene, plus I've been exercising and training off and on for over 20 years. Currently doing stronglifts and squatting my bodyweight 3x a week. I have a hard time buying boots, but so what. I'll keep the muskles.

calf1.jpg
    calf2.jpg
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    < proud of bulky calves, AND I look great in skinny jeans (maybe because I'm tall with a long inseam?) I don't know but I rock 'em :drinker:
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can relate, my husband says I have popeye legs.....not the look I'm going for. Guess I have to live with them. Runners legs would have sounded better than popeye legs. He needs to work on his sucking up to wife skills, lol.
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Even when I was thinner (gymnastics and cheerleading days) I use to call 'em my "baby cows". And, as I lose weight they are still there :-) I have grown to love my muscular legs and just wear what I can that is flattering to my body as it is :-)
  • johnglenn1973
    Options
    My bulky calves pic....embrace them!!!

2013_06_18_23_59_35.jpg

On my toes...

2013_06_19_00_00_01.jpg

And NO, I do not shave my legs...I'm pretty hairless, except for maybe my ears. Damn you old age!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My bulky calves pic....embrace them!!!

2013_06_18_23_59_35.jpg

On my toes...

2013_06_19_00_00_01.jpg

And NO, I do not shave my legs...I'm pretty hairless, except for maybe my ears. Damn you old age!!!

Not quite the same on a woman. :ohwell:
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    IMG_0672601x8002_zps3a4aa0d1.jpg

IMG_0675600x800_zps8877d34a.jpg

IMG_0678640x480_zpsb3f3f025.jpg

For men we used to say that the calf should be the same size as the bicep to be symmetrical -- I used to work my calves pretty hard because I thought they were too small and whimpy looking. Today they are bigger then my upper arm but I suspect that has to do with the 505 miles of walking (starting when I was 280+) and nearly as many miles cycling.

Of course I doubt many women would want these calves! LOL
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Necro bumping so I don't start a new thread for a topic that has been discussed ALMOST to death.

I am 5',120lbs,22% body fat, calves are 15 1/2" around, measure this morning. I HATE IT. They're not proportionate, especially since I've lost weight and my thighs have slimmed down. I want to cry reading that there's nothing I can do and I should just love them. No way. It's not graceful, or dainty, or any of the tiny, delicate feelings I wanted to feel by losing weight. I can look at the rest of me and feel that way, and I wear skirts and dresses and waltz around like I feel great, as long as the mirror is knee up. I still cross my legs and see this horrible giant BALL shoved to the side by my knee.

I have started running, as long and far as I can, with the sole purpose to try to do something about this, and I feel like they've just gotten bigger, which is specifically why I measured this morning, and have this on my mind today.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I have started running, as long and far as I can, with the sole purpose to try to do something about this, and I feel like they've just gotten bigger, which is specifically why I measured this morning, and have this on my mind today.

What kind of leg/calf did you do before. If you just started running, and haven't before, of course they will get bigger. When you add an exercise or change a routine your body isn't used to, the muscles will retain water for repair and swell.

Running specifically won't slim your legs. If it's still fat on your legs, caloric deficit will help them get smaller and running will contribute to the deficit.

The exercise itself won't reduce the size of your legs.
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So, the first part of my post is invisible? I am 22% body fat. Maybe if I get down to 15%, that will take, at most, an inch off? This is assuming there's still that much fat there to get rid of.

They've always been this way. I started running, again, because I want to do SOMETHING about it, and running is the only thing people think MIGHT help. I am so frustrated.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    So, the first part of my post is invisible? I am 22% body fat. Maybe if I get down to 15%, that will take, at most, an inch off? This is assuming there's still that much fat there to get rid of.

They've always been this way. I started running, again, because I want to do SOMETHING about it, and running is the only thing people think MIGHT help. I am so frustrated.

Fine, if you want to snip at me for helping, then I'll quit.

FYI, people telling you running is the only thing that might help are completely off, that would be spot reduction.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    nvm