Kitchen Gadget/Utensil You Can't Live Without

Options
13»

Replies

• gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    I CANNOT FUNCTION WITH OUT MY FOOD SCALE!!!

lol it changed my life

This! I automatically go to my food scale these days!! Don't know what i would do without it!

Oh and this! never leaves the counter.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It all begins with one thing. A quality 8" Chef's knife.

I purchased a Victorinox Chef's Knife and although it was inexpensive I find it works pretty darn good. I would certainly put the funds in to get a higher quality piece...will have to start googling

These are the results from one of America's Test Kitchen equipment reviews. The Vitorinox did very well.

Product Tested Handle Blade Slicing Chopping Mincing Butchering Price*
    Recommended

Victorinox (formerly Victorinox Forschner) Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife, Model 40520
    The lightest knife in the group, and one of the cheapest, Forschner was a favorite among testers who fancy lighter knives. The grippy material, shape, and overall comfort of the handle drew testers’ praise.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $24.95
    Wüsthof Grand Prix II 8-inch Chef’s Knife
    This knife earned high marks for its sharp blade and excellent performance in tests. The handle could be a little awkward for small-handed cooks.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $82.50
    OXO Good Grips Mv55-Pro 8
    The tip feels agile and the handle fairly soft and secure. Several testers noted that it felt light. Handle material is the "grippiest" here. Solid performance, a comfortable handle, and a budget price.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $29.99
    J.A. Henckels Four Star 8
    Inspired neither notable praise nor criticism. Most testers viewed this knife as "middle-of-the-road," although the handle did win acclaim with one large-handed tester for "providing support in all the right places."

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $69.99
    KitchenAid Ultra 8
    Rounded spine (top) of the blade is a thoughtful feature, making this knife especially comfortable for cooks who grip the blade when using a knife. The handle, however, felt both shallow and narrow to testers with larger hands. "Feels like a little person's knife," noted one tester.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $91.99
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my husbands hands - opens jars, reaches high shelves and is the best taste tester!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    knife, bread pans
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    And this my husband can't live without, from the 1950s, for his two minute eggs;
    eggcooker_zps0b1c5390.jpg

Wow! That brings back memories. My parents had that egg cooker when we were children. I think they got it as a wedding gift.
  • shikiwiki13
    Options
    Vitamix, panini maker, measuring cups, pan, pots, food scale
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My Kitchen Aid mixer. I've had it for probably 16 years now and it still works like new. There are tons of attachments you can get for it, so it's really multi-function. My fav attachment is the pasta roller - love me some homemade pasta!

Good grief, I've been dreaming of getting one for years now. I mix everything...yes everything by hand. :grumble:
  • maryrx59
    maryrx59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've got two mini fry pans---perfect size for frying up two eggs and flipping it onto my toast!! Also love my egg slicer ..it cuts it into wedges too!

Oh, and love my food saver...I can buy fresh meat, veggies in bulk and portion out individual servings and vacuum seal it for long term storage in freezer!

And, I can't forget my pressure cooker...cooks food so quickly! Beef roast in 30 minutes!! Pepper steak (moist) in 15-20 minutes!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    my ninja pro for smoothies
    my wonderful suntoku knife
    my perfectly seasoned cast iron skillet

and most important...the coffee pot.
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a jar opener, a super old one. It hasn't met the jar it couldn't open yet. Olives- get in my belly!!! :)
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    #1 Food scale. I never used it much until I started MFP.
    #2 KitchenAid peeler (it's pink and THE BEST peeler I've ever owned!)
    #3 Stick Blender & attachment kit
    #4 Non stick pan (dry fry my eggs almost every day)
    #5 KitchenAid (need some attachments, the pasta making kit is high on the agenda!)
    #6 Tupperware can opener
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My Hobart meat slicer ... you know, the kind they have in real deli's. It allows me to make my own lunch meat without the high sodium content, and with no nitrites (which have been linked to insulin resistance ).

hobart_1250.jpg
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My Kitchen Aid mixer.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This doodad called the metric wonder cup

You can measure almost any amount (1 cup or less) of nearly anything

I have no idea how I would measure things like peanut butter or yogurt without it
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I purchased a Victorinox Chef's Knife and although it was inexpensive I find it works pretty darn good. I would certainly put the funds in to get a higher quality piece...will have to start googling

These are the results from one of America's Test Kitchen equipment reviews. The Vitorinox did very well.

Product Tested Handle Blade Slicing Chopping Mincing Butchering Price*
    Recommended

Victorinox (formerly Victorinox Forschner) Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife, Model 40520
    The lightest knife in the group, and one of the cheapest, Forschner was a favorite among testers who fancy lighter knives. The grippy material, shape, and overall comfort of the handle drew testers’ praise.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $24.95
    Wüsthof Grand Prix II 8-inch Chef’s Knife
    This knife earned high marks for its sharp blade and excellent performance in tests. The handle could be a little awkward for small-handed cooks.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $82.50
    OXO Good Grips Mv55-Pro 8
    The tip feels agile and the handle fairly soft and secure. Several testers noted that it felt light. Handle material is the "grippiest" here. Solid performance, a comfortable handle, and a budget price.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $29.99
    J.A. Henckels Four Star 8
    Inspired neither notable praise nor criticism. Most testers viewed this knife as "middle-of-the-road," although the handle did win acclaim with one large-handed tester for "providing support in all the right places."

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $69.99
    KitchenAid Ultra 8
    Rounded spine (top) of the blade is a thoughtful feature, making this knife especially comfortable for cooks who grip the blade when using a knife. The handle, however, felt both shallow and narrow to testers with larger hands. "Feels like a little person's knife," noted one tester.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ $91.99

Thank You! I will certainly be picking one of these up soon!

So happy to hear what all of you are using! Thank You for your suggestions
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My Hobart meat slicer ... you know, the kind they have in real deli's. It allows me to make my own lunch meat without the high sodium content, and with no nitrites (which have been linked to insulin resistance ).

hobart_1250.jpg

This is amazing! My kitchen is near exploding as it is so I will admire from afar!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Stand mixer. I'd marry that thing if it was legal.
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Amen! I love kitchen gadgets, but I use my chef's knife lots. Of course, hand in hand with this is a knife sharpener.

Some fun things I have are: Avocado scraper/slicer - yes I can use a spoon and then a knife, but doing it in one fell swoop is pretty cool!, Pampered Chef measuring thing for solids on one side and liquids on the other - works amazingly for peanut butter as you push the solid out the end, lemon and lime squeezer (just bought this week and LOVE IT) and the ever wonderful Slap Chop - as I hate to physically handle jalapeno peppers, but am thrilled to chop them in this!!
  • Larran58
    Larran58 Posts: 2
    Options
    Juicer... I love it.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ❤ Nutribullet

❤ NuWave cooktop

❤ NuWave oven

❤ FoodSaver v4865 vacuum sealer

❤ Crock-pot