Why am I losing strenght?

Options
What's going on? I lift every other day so I don't think I'm overtraining, but am I?
I've been stuck on the same weights for the past 2-3 weeks for some of the movements (like bicep curls), but others were increasing (like squats and bench press). However, today I had to lower ALL my weights! I eat at a small deficit. I'm losing about 0.5 to 1 lb a week. I breastfeed and I've been doing Chalean Extreme for 8 weeks if it matters.
What's happening and what can I do. Thank you.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    1. Sometimes you just need a week at lower weights.
    a) Take 50% off everything for a week and go back to normal next week
    or
    b) take 10% off and slowly work up and past your original max.
    -- If this doesn't help, you might need to rest more. (More sleep, notm ore days off.)
    -- after 2 weeks if you still can't progress, start eating more.

Also

don't sweat how much you lift for isolation exercises like curls.
    use squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press as your benchmark
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I´m moving out on thin ice here, because I´m not an expert in any thing at all. I would say if you´re lifting and doing C.E at the same time, you might need some more rest. You probably also need to eat more. It´s very difficult- to my knowledge- to eat at a deficit and gaine strength at the same time.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot to you both! I will follow your advice and try to get more rest (not always easy with a 3 month old baby!).
    So, lift lighter for a week, eat more and rest.
    Thanks again!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    in my program, there is a week of deload... three weeks of heavy lifting, one week of "deload" or light lifting.

I have heard it's also good to take some actual time off- like a week- a couple times a year for nerve repair.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i would take a week off as well...the de-load....after that you should come back with new PRs
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You're combining ChaLEAN Extreme with a traditional weightlifting regimen? If so, that right there is the problem.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    What's your total intake? What's your protein macro? I'm on CLX, too, and I've been getting stronger. Are you eating 1400-1800 k/cals? Of 14-18k, is 30-50% of that protein? It matters.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    What's going on? I lift every other day so I don't think I'm overtraining, but am I?
    I've been stuck on the same weights for the past 2-3 weeks for some of the movements (like bicep curls), but others were increasing (like squats and bench press). However, today I had to lower ALL my weights! I eat at a small deficit. I'm losing about 0.5 to 1 lb a week. I breastfeed and I've been doing Chalean Extreme for 8 weeks if it matters.

Do you do a lot of cardio? Are you taking off 2 days every week or two? I don't know the program but are you following it exactly? Stupid question but you are just doing one program right?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If it's only one or two sessions I wouldn't worry about it. Could be a myriad of things including stress, dehydration, psychology etc.

If it becomes a trend look at your calorie deficit or deloading.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    You're combining ChaLEAN Extreme with a traditional weightlifting regimen? If so, that right there is the problem.

No, no! Just Chalean Extreme by itself. When I say "squat", I mean squatting with 2 dumbbells in my hands (Bowflex Selecttech) at home, not with a barbel at the gym.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    What's your total intake? What's your protein macro? I'm on CLX, too, and I've been getting stronger. Are you eating 1400-1800 k/cals? Of 14-18k, is 30-50% of that protein? It matters.

i calorie cycle, but my intake is about 1600- 2000 cals. My protein is about 25% (about 100g). I should increase it, then? Does the amount of protein influence the strength?
    I'm 34, 5'6", 128.5lbs btw
  • jennifershoo
    Options

Do you do a lot of cardio? Are you taking off 2 days every week or two? I don't know the program but are you following it exactly? Stupid question but you are just doing one program right?

No, I don't do a lot of cardio. Probably not more than 90 min a week.
    Yes, I take 2 days a week off.
    I follow the weight lifting part of the program, but not really the cardio part.
    Yes, I do only one program at the time.
    My cardio is mostly a bit of running or HIIT run on days that I don't lift, but as I said, I don't do it very often.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    If it's only one or two sessions I wouldn't worry about it. Could be a myriad of things including stress, dehydration, psychology etc.

If it becomes a trend look at your calorie deficit or deloading.

Thanks a lot!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'd increase the protein, especially since you're nursing. Also, try moving your workouts to another time of the day. Other than that, it's hard to say without seeing your diary.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

First rule is that if you are breastfeeding you should not be dieting. It's counter productive. Your body needs about an extra 500 calories from maintenance to produce milk, then on top of that you are working out and your in a deficit. I'm not surprised you are losing strength. I would at least eat at maintenance while you are breastfeeding. I know it's tough because you want to lose weight but your body works OT to produce that milk.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I finished week 10 of CLX (week 2 of the Lean month), I felt really knackered and decided to take a week off completely from lifting (I also do a bit of cardio 5-6 days a week). At first I felt guilty, but I think my body appreciated the rest, because when I went back to it, I was able to do all 12 reps on moves where I hadn't been able to previously, or was able to do all those dreaded one-armed plank/triceps extensions, etc. on my toes as opposed to a few on my knees.

So I agree with the previous posts, in that your body is probably asking for a wee break. Hopefully you can get some nice sleep, and eat well this week, and then you should be good to kick butt next week :smile:
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options

i calorie cycle, but my intake is about 1600- 2000 cals. My protein is about 25% (about 100g). I should increase it, then? Does the amount of protein influence the strength?
    I'm 34, 5'6", 128.5lbs btw

Yep, bump that to 35-50% for protein intake. You arent going to rebuild your body with inadequate protein and fats. You can't kick a rock without getting carbs. Carbs are easy. For example, my protein in take is 40%, its doable.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit can make you feel weak