How do I cook spaghetti squash?

Options
rkcampbell
rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
I just got 3 today and am looking to use them for chicken parm this week, but I have NO clue how to even attempt to cook it!!! HELP!!!!

Replies

• tleighs64
    tleighs64 Posts: 12
    Options
    Slice in half long ways. Scrape out seeds. Brush inside lightly with olive oil (optional). Sprinkle with a pinch of salt (optional). Sprinkle some fresh ground black pepper. Place on a rack, cut side down, inside a roasting pan or over a cookie sheet. Roast in 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until when you pick it up the sides collapse easily. Obviously, the larger the squash, the longer it will take to cook. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Hold one half of the squash over a plate or bowl. Make sure to use a oven mitt as it will still be very hot. Using a fork, scrape out the interior of the squash. Repeat with the other half.

Proceed to use it as you would regular spaghetti. I have made it with all kinds of cheeses and sauces and love it.
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half. Scoop out seeds. Place cut-side down on plate and cook in Microwave. I 'think' I started with 5 min. Scoop out fibers with fork; it should resemble spaghetti. Top with your favorite pasta toppings.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! Can't wait to try it!
  • anjiemr
    anjiemr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I poke wholes all over with a fork; put on a plate in micro for 12 minutes (per the directions on the sticker that comes on the squash...Trader Joe's) when done cut in half scoop seeds then run fork long ways (making spagetti) until you get as much out as possible. Guess everyone will have their own ways they micro, bake, etc.

Also, if you have a Trader Joe's near you, I buy their Diced & Fire Roasted Tomato's, add herbs and spices, puree in a processor then heat and use for my spag sauce. Half the squash is enough for one meal for me so I shredd and save the rest of the squash for the next evening.