FIBER! Great Article...

Options
I found a fantastic article (in my opinion) about Fiber - what it is, what it does for you, how much you need (and how much is too much!), info about fiber & kids, best foods to get fiber from, etc. It can be found here: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041500.asp

Here is just a small excerpt that gives some tips on increasing your daily fiber:

TEN EASY WAYS TO BOOST YOUR DAILY FIBER

1. Consume whole fruits and vegetables instead of juice. The peels on apples and the white pith on oranges are rich sources of fiber, as are potato skins.

2. Cut back on refined foods. "Enriched flour" means the product was originally impoverished. In many refined foods, the fiber-containing parts have been removed.

3. Try a daily yogurt smoothie (See School-ade) made in the blender with a couple handfuls of fresh fruits, such as strawberries, bananas, papaya, blueberries, and pears. Blend in a heaping tablespoon of psyllium husks. Drink it quickly before it gels.

4. Snack on dried fruits, such as apricots, figs, prunes, and raisins.

5. Use whole grains instead of white. White bread and white rice have had the fiber processed out of them. (This is why white bread and white rice have a reputation for being constipating.) Instead use whole grains: bread made with whole wheat flour, whole grain cereals that contain wheat bran or oat bran, whole grain cornmeal, wheat germ, and barley. Instead of white rice, use brown or wild rice.

6. Be a bean freak. Nearly all varieties of beans are a rich source of fiber, especially kidney beans, which can be served in many forms, such as in salads, soups, bean burritos, or chili.

7. Dip it. A chickpea dip (i.e. hummus) is nutritious and fiber-rich.

8. Choose a high-fiber cereal. If you find that high-fiber cereals are not the most palatable, try mixing a couple of tablespoons of All-Bran or psyllium husks with your favorite cereal to boost the fiber content. Add lots of milk, rice beverage, or juice and enjoy.

9. Choose your lettuce wisely. Iceberg lettuce is useless as a source of fiber and any other nutrients. Spinach and romaine lettuce are healthier choices.

10. Fresh fruits have more fiber than canned fruits because much of the fiber is in the peel, which is usually removed in processing.

Simply emphasizing grains, fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet will automatically get you enough fiber. A diet that revolves around meat, eggs, and dairy products will not contain enough fiber.

Replies

• ATJune
    ATJune Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    thks for the article! jus wat i needed:)
  • misc02u
    misc02u Posts: 25
    Options
    bump
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome post! That was really wonderful information and really confirmed that I am making a lit of the right choices. Thank you!:smile:
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    CHEERS!:drinker:
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    I'll add another one:

Get your fiber from food, not additives. If you're choosing a high-fiber cereal or bread, make sure that fiber comes from actual whole grains, not from inulin, oat bran, or other 'boosters". The easiest way to do this is to buy breads and cereals with short--6 or fewer--ingredient lists, in which the first ingredient is WHOLE wheat flour (the "whole" is important), whole kernel corn, brown rice, rolled oats, or whole barley.

Yogurt, cottage cheese, and other dairy products are naturally fiber-free; don't pay more for dairy with added fiber. Instead, add your own--stir some raisins, nuts, chopped apples, or berries into your plain yogurt or cottage cheese and get your fiber from natural sources.

Not trying to sound preachy, and I agree with most of the tips in the list (except for adding psyllium to a smoothie). But you see so many products out there now that claim to be "high fiber" because they've added thickeners or inulin or whatever. Why waste money on them when raisins, peanuts, and beans are so cheap? :-)
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    BUMP