How can I lose fat and not muscle?

Options
I don't have loads to lose. Around 15 lbs at most. I just want to keep any muscle and make sure what I'm losing actually is fat. Then I might try to gain some muscle too, once I'm done lowering my body fat percentage.

I know I have to eat at a caloric deficit, which I can do. I've read loads of different ideas about how best to do it though. Some say I need to eat at least 1g protein per lb of body weight, and that's incredibly difficult. I tried to do it today, just to see if I could, and managed by eating nothing but 'high protein' foods along with vegetables. Since I'm vegan (not for health reasons, and I won't change this) even protein-rich foods that I eat don't have huge amounts of protein.

Just now, I read something else that says this amount is probably too high for most people, unless they're incredibly active. I'm a complete beginner at strength-training, and am pretty weak. I go to the gym 2 or 3 times per week for around an hour each time.

Then there's more people that say 'just eat clean' or 'paleo' or some variation of that. It makes sense to avoid processed foods, and I'm trying to reduce the amounts of them I eat, but processed 'fake meat' products are probably the most protein-rich things I eat.

Sorry, I'm just so confused by everything right now.

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Eat at a conservative deficit, i.e. your TDEE - (15% to 20% of TDEE). Eat ample protein. Do strength training regularly. You won't lose quickly. You will keep your muscle.

P.S. It sounds like you will need to buy some vegan protein powder, such as soy, hemp, or rice.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Eat at a conservative deficit, i.e. your TDEE - (15% to 20% of TDEE). Eat ample protein. Do strength training regularly. You won't lose quickly. You will keep your muscle.
    What I'm trying to do currently... but what's 'ample' protein? I have read so much conflicting advice on protein amounts needed. Is it a percentage of total intake? (eg. 30% of total calories) Does it need to relate to my current weight? Does it just need to be a certain value? (eg. 50g)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    A common recommendation is to eat 1g protein per pound of lean body mass (LBM). There are plenty of calculators online to help you work out your LBM. Another common recommendation is to aim for 30% of your cals from protein.

Decent protein intake is important while strength training on a deficit to help preserve muscle mass.

Aim to lose between 0.5 and 1lb of weight per week. Keep weight loss slow should minimise muscle loss so. The majority of weight lost will be fat.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    A common recommendation is to eat 1g protein per pound of lean body mass (LBM). There are plenty of calculators online to help you work out your LBM. Another common recommendation is to aim for 30% of your cals from protein.

Decent protein intake is important while strength training on a deficit to help preserve muscle mass.

Aim to lose between 0.5 and 1lb of weight per week. Keep weight loss slow should minimise muscle loss so. The majority of weight lost will be fat.

Either of these methods of estimating your protein goal should work. It's more than you're eating now. If you were trying to gain mass, you might want to eat more, like 2 grams of protein per pound of LBM, but one step at a time.
  • missmimichan
    Options
    That's simple. Eat clean and healthy. Have protein at every meal. Keep active you should be able to lose the 15 in 2 months.
  • getfitcharles
    Options

Thanks. 1g per lb of LEAN mass doesn't sound quite as difficult to get close to. I just changed my settings to 30% protein on the food diary part of this site too, and that amount based on the calorie intake I have now is roughly the same as what my lean mass probably is (I don't know my exact fat percentage, just estimates).
    I'm not particularly large to begin with, so I know not to expect fast losses.
    Thanks.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    A good guideline that doesn't require you to do any body fat calculations is 0.82g/lb body weight of protein every day. This is a minimum and there is no maximum for protein, as long as you stay under your daily caloric goal. This calculation works well for anybody of average BF%. If someone is obese, then 1g/lb LBM is a better way to go. Hitting your protein minimum every day is essential to prevent muscle breakdown while losing fat, that coupled with a conservative deficit from TDEE(No more than 20% below) as mentioned above.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If you are truly new to lifting, and judging your size by your profile picture, I think you should focus more on recomp or building muscle right now. You can basically eat TDEE or more with sufficient protein and see incredible muscle gains at this point of time. Why not milk that for what it's worth?
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    If you are truly new to lifting, and judging your size by your profile picture, I think you should focus more on recomp or building muscle right now. You can basically eat TDEE or more with sufficient protein and see incredible muscle gains at this point of time. Why not milk that for what it's worth?
    I'm not even completely sure that I WANT to gain more muscle afterwards. I know I don't want to get big. I look fairly small but I'm small all over. I'm shorter than most women and am actually right in the middle of the 'normal' weight range but have an obviously high body fat percentage and don't want to potentialyl increase it further, or gain weight and decide I don't like it and not be able to lose it. My overall goal isn't to become really muscular. I'd just like to be stronger than I am now and have less body fat.
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of lean body mass, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit. Then profit.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Huh.. just found another viewpoint that says a higher protein diet does more harm than good and can cause kidney damage and suggests eating less than 30% of your diet as protein, or 1g per 3lbs of weight.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Huh.. just found another viewpoint that says a higher protein diet does more harm than good and can cause kidney damage and suggests eating less than 30% of your diet as protein, or 1g per 3lbs of weight.

If you have normal kidneys, do not have high blood pressure or diabetes, and are not over the age of 65, you're probably okay. You're not going on the Atkins diet.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030317/high-protein-diets-can-hurt-kidneys
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Try a hemp or other vegan-friendly protein powder.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I split my protein/carb/fat 40/40/20. If you're skinny fat, I'd say just eat maintenance calories and focus on the big lifts. They'll help shape and change your overall body composition. Some of the best gains you'll make are when you're just starting off if you put in the hard effort. I know you don't want to build muscle, but trust me, you won't get as big as Arnold or Ronnie Coleman in a few months. Same goes to women who shy away from weights; you'll be fine and won't get bulky unless if you really intend to.

I can't say much on what to eat if you're a vegan, but you're probably going to have to supplement a lot of your protein to meet your needs.
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    Listen man, "getting too big" is really difficult. People who say that are a running joke in the bodybuilding community.

Heavy compound lifting is going to get you bigger and stronger than you've ever been, and you're going to enjoy it. Look at the physique of fitness models... they're muscular, but look lean, aesthetic and incredibly well, fit.

Ignore the crap about high protein diets being dangerous. The ideal protein mark is between .82 and 1g of protein per pound of lean mass... and unless you have renal disease, that's perfectly safe.

Eat whole foods, drink lots of water and train hard. You won't regret it.
  • banana_milk
    Options
    If you're cutting weight, muscle loss is inevitable. However, you can minimize muscle loss by eating enough protein (~1g per pound bw) and lifting heavy.
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    How to lose fat and not muscle as you know by now, just means getting enough protein in your vegan diet. That is tough to do, I know because I have a tough time as it is while eating meat. I am still eating lots of lentils and broccoli; I need those veggie proteins. If I could afford a steak dinner every night it would be no problem for me. I supplement a little right now, maybe more later.

Like some others have commented, why are you focused on reducing fat? You could easily put on muscle without getting noticeably bigger at all. After doing that, losing the fat would be easier. If you lost some muscle in the fat burning stage, you would be right where you say you want to be, at your current musculature with less fat.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not even completely sure that I WANT to gain more muscle afterwards. I know I don't want to get big. I look fairly small but I'm small all over. I'm shorter than most women and am actually right in the middle of the 'normal' weight range but have an obviously high body fat percentage and don't want to potentialyl increase it further, or gain weight and decide I don't like it and not be able to lose it. My overall goal isn't to become really muscular. I'd just like to be stronger than I am now and have less body fat.

Fair enough, I would still just focus on body recomposition though, not losing weight. You are a young man in his prime and brand new to lifting, all things that will make it easier for you to achieve the look you are after than any female, and any man much older or younger than you. I guess what I'm saying is eat what you want within reason and lift and you will likely see desirable results. I personally think you look quite slender in your pictures and would have guessed you to to be closer to the underweight side and not in the middle of normal. Gaining a little muscle mass at this point of time isn't going to make you look gigantic.
  • weeman750
    weeman750 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Listen man, "getting too big" is really difficult. People who say that are a running joke in the bodybuilding community.

Heavy compound lifting is going to get you bigger and stronger than you've ever been, and you're going to enjoy it. Look at the physique of fitness models... they're muscular, but look lean, aesthetic and incredibly well, fit.

Ignore the crap about high protein diets being dangerous. The ideal protein mark is between .82 and 1g of protein per pound of lean mass... and unless you have renal disease, that's perfectly safe.

Should you increase your protein everyday or only on days you work out?
  • edwardgaweda
    Options

Should you increase your protein everyday or only on days you work out?

Protein intake should be kept the same on both lifting and rest days. You CAN lower your carbs and raise fats on off days, but I personally - note the word personally - haven't seen any changes from trying that. My macros are the same everyday.