Herbalife

Options
Hi!
I was wondering if any of you guys have an success stories or advice when it comes to Herbalife? I have been doing it for like a couple weeks and have lost a few pounds. I'm motivated but I need a bigger picture. I need to know that it is possible!
The way I've been doing it is replacing breakfast and dinner. I eat a healthy lunch. Water only all day and no snacks.
Please share your stories or opinions :)
:smile:

Replies

• sstami
    sstami Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My cousin, who is a nurse advised against Herbalife. The reason being is that she had two family members who were on it and both began having problems with their kidneys after using Herbalife. They both lost weight, but their doctors told them that the diet made their kidneys "angry". Overall, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to your health. I think that eating "clean" and exercising is the most consistent way to lose weight and keep it off.
  • mrs_castro
    mrs_castro Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for the information.
    I was planning on using the Herbalife to get down to my goal weight then continue to eat "clean" to keep the weight off.
    But I will definitely keep your story in mind :smile:
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    Asking for people's opinions on a forum such as this is always a baaaad idea....

My 2 cents worth:

I've been on about half a dozen meal replacement diets and yep I lost a lot of weight to start with, but they don't teach you to eat better or to improve your relationship with food so as a result when I finished them the weight piled back on plus some. I look at it this way, if the 'diet' I'm starting can't be sustained for the rest of my life (when I finish losing the weight and start into maintenance) then it's not worth doing.

Are you planning on sticking to 1-2 shakes a day for the rest of your life for maintenance? I know I couldn't do it. I'm currently sticking to cal goals every day, exercising most days (starting 3 days of heavy lifting, 1 day of boxing, and walk/light jog 1-2 days). I still eat the things I want to eat (I had chocolate, chocolate mousse and a cheese and bacon roll today!) but make sure I don't go over my cals for the day. I might lose it slower, but in the long run I still want to enjoy food and not feel deprived, which is why I never stuck to anything before (can I say I've been a yo-yo dieter for at least 10-12 years).

Anyway that's my opinion :smile:
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I tried the "green tea" mix with aloe and it DID give me more energy. but I didn't see where I lost any more weight because of it. they tried to say I will burn more calories by drinking it but I realized the only way to burn real calories is real exersise
    ..As far as replacing the meals for their shakes ..MEH I want food, will always want food and plan on losing weight on the right foods for the rest of my life, not some magic shake as a meal replacement. I still use the aloe because of its healing properties that seem to keep my stomach in balance.. I am sure I could find it cheaper on line after I am finished with this one I bought.
    Using shakes for a meal replacement for me, makes me hungrier for real food. lol.
  • mrs_castro
    Options
    Asking for people's opinions on a forum such as this is always a baaaad idea....

My 2 cents worth:

I've been on about half a dozen meal replacement diets and yep I lost a lot of weight to start with, but they don't teach you to eat better or to improve your relationship with food so as a result when I finished them the weight piled back on plus some. I look at it this way, if the 'diet' I'm starting can't be sustained for the rest of my life (when I finish losing the weight and start into maintenance) then it's not worth doing.

Are you planning on sticking to 1-2 shakes a day for the rest of your life for maintenance? I know I couldn't do it. I'm currently sticking to cal goals every day, exercising most days (starting 3 days of heavy lifting, 1 day of boxing, and walk/light jog 1-2 days). I still eat the things I want to eat (I had chocolate, chocolate mousse and a cheese and bacon roll today!) but make sure I don't go over my cals for the day. I might lose it slower, but in the long run I still want to enjoy food and not feel deprived, which is why I never stuck to anything before (can I say I've been a yo-yo dieter for at least 10-12 years).

Anyway that's my opinion :smile:

Haha, you're probably right. Maybe "opinion" was a bad word to use :laugh:
    I understand where you're coming from. I feel like the shakes are teaching me to eat less so that when I do reach my goal and just need to maintain, I won't overindulge on unhealthy food. I am learning to eat better through this program, and eat a lot less than what I've been used to.
    But I am in no way undermining your opinion. Every person prefers a different kind of diet (so now I'm not sure why I asked Lol).
    Thank you for your opinion :happy:
  • mrs_castro
    Options
    I tried the "green tea" mix with aloe and it DID give me more energy. but I didn't see where I lost any more weight because of it. they tried to say I will burn more calories by drinking it but I realized the only way to burn real calories is real exersise
    ..As far as replacing the meals for their shakes ..MEH I want food, will always want food and plan on losing weight on the right foods for the rest of my life, not some magic shake as a meal replacement. I still use the aloe because of its healing properties that seem to keep my stomach in balance.. I am sure I could find it cheaper on line after I am finished with this one I bought.
    Using shakes for a meal replacement for me, makes me hungrier for real food. lol.

I understand what you mean about wanting food. But I've realized that if I don't cheat, then I don't have the same cravings that I used to. If I cheat then I go crazy LOL.
  • galooh
    galooh Posts: 10
    Options
    I feel like herbalife is more like a cult. everyone i know that's on it looked like they we're brainwashed or something.. "Join herbalife and your life will be full of joy and wonder!". All they talk about is herbalife as if it's a religion. :S I'd rather stick with normal food and controlling the input. Well that's just my opinion tho! for the product i suppose it did work for some people, but go for another normal option :)
  • mrs_castro
    Options
    I feel like herbalife is more like a cult. everyone i know that's on it looked like they we're brainwashed or something.. "Join herbalife and your life will be full of joy and wonder!". All they talk about is herbalife as if it's a religion. :S I'd rather stick with normal food and controlling the input. Well that's just my opinion tho! for the product i suppose it did work for some people, but go for another normal option :)

Lol. I guess I deserve this post for asking people their opinions. :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I was wondering if any of you guys have an success stories or advice when it comes to Herbalife? I have been doing it for like a couple weeks and have lost a few pounds. I'm motivated but I need a bigger picture. I need to know that it is possible!
    The way I've been doing it is replacing breakfast and dinner. I eat a healthy lunch. Water only all day and no snacks.
    Please share your stories or opinions :)
    :smile:

You can lose weight by simply counting calories. Save your money.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people in here saying to save your money.
    I spent a ton of money on supps back in the day, and honestly, they aren't even remotely worth it.

The only things you really need would be a good multivitamin and maybe some fish oil.
  • kandyice1
    kandyice1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Folks don't really endorse using herbalife or any of the other meal replacement shake programs around here, so you will probably get more of the similar comments that you see in this thread and other threads about it.

From a person that does not sell the products, I've lost a majority of weight so far from drinking the shakes, having healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, etc.) and having a healthy meal. Believe me, it's not any type of cult, and I know I will be just fine after I decide to stop using the products. Don't let anyone tell you that you will pack on the pounds if you stop taking the shakes. The only way that will happen is if go back to the old bad habits. I use it because it's working for me. I say you do what's best for you in the long run.

Also, I do zumba rush at home and a little weight lifting...I want to get more serious about weight lifting though for sure. Some of the results I've been seeing in these threads are amazing.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Rep. Linda Sanchez asks FTC to investigate Herbalife

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-herbalife-ftc-20130614,0,6305190.story
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people in here saying to save your money.
    I spent a ton of money on supps back in the day, and honestly, they aren't even remotely worth it.

The only things you really need would be a good multivitamin and maybe some fish oil.

This. The only supplements I have ever seen any benefit from are a good multivitamin, an omega 3 supplement and protein powder (which is really more nutrition than supplement). The shakes are a way of cutting calories, but that doesn't necessarily translate to long term losses. I've known a lot of people to use these, or other similar, products, and none have kept the weight off because they never developed a healthy relationship with food. If the shakes can help you get to a place where you're eating right, more power to you, but it is the eating right that is the key, not the shake. Herbalife is a tool, and, in my opinion, a fairly flawed one.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Shakeology? It's a super food meal replacement shake with over 70 ingredients. Helps curb cravings, loose weight, gain energy and cleanse your system. I drink it everyday and LOVE it.
    Let me know if you (or anyone else) would be interested in some samples :)
    xo
    lol
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Shakeology? It's a super food meal replacement shake with over 70 ingredients. Helps curb cravings, loose weight, gain energy and cleanse your system. I drink it everyday and LOVE it.
    Let me know if you (or anyone else) would be interested in some samples :)
    xo

Why would you trade one over priced MLM for another?
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    Actually direct marketing makes perfect sense when it comes to supplements. The stuff at the supermarket with overrated expiration dates and poor nutrition to begin with is the real shame. In this thread people recommend taking fish oil supplements. See what Dr. Oz has to say about fish oil supplements on YouTube. Then decide why one brand might be better than another.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did Herbalife and started selling it. We started our weight loss around the same time and he kept trying to sell me Herbalife. He's heavier than when we started and I compete as a bodybuilder.

Herbalife, Shakeology and Body By Vi (just to name the main ones) are just meal replacements. Same thing with Slim Fast or a protein shake. There's no magic to them, you still have to learn to be accountable and how to carry on for the rest of your life in a manner that won't make you gain all the weight back.

In my opinion there are cheaper things I can eat for a meal or even cheaper meal replacements than all the MLM products.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat in a deficit and work out more = save your money and lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Folks don't really endorse using herbalife or any of the other meal replacement shake programs around here, so you will probably get more of the similar comments that you see in this thread and other threads about it.

From a person that does not sell the products, I've lost a majority of weight so far from drinking the shakes, having healthy snacks (fruit, veggies, etc.) and having a healthy meal. Believe me, it's not any type of cult, and I know I will be just fine after I decide to stop using the products. Don't let anyone tell you that you will pack on the pounds if you stop taking the shakes. The only way that will happen is if go back to the old bad habits. I use it because it's working for me. I say you do what's best for you in the long run.

Also, I do zumba rush at home and a little weight lifting...I want to get more serious about weight lifting though for sure. Some of the results I've been seeing in these threads are amazing.

you did not lose weight from the shakes...the shakes caused a calorie deficit, which caused you to lose weight. You could of accomplished the same by just reducing calories to 500 below maintenance, per day.
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Do this: call poison control and tell them you are thinking about taking three times the dose. See what they say. (Poison Control does not get ten million calls a night so don't yell at me. I didn't say call 911 or the ER)

We used to get ER visitors who wanted to jump-start the diet by taking more than recommended. Elevated heart rate, hallucinations, anxiety, all the things one gets with speed. Oh, isn't mate in the ingredients list? Look that up. Do your own research.