Running Shoes

Options
Anyone have any suggestions on running shoes? I've been running regularly for about a month and my feet are killing me. I thought I would have been used to it by now. I'm assuming it will get easier when I drop more weight.

Replies

• bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Saucony running shoes have been great for me.
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    asics or brooks are great brands. They can be expensive, but they are well worth it.

You might need to go somewhere and have your gait analyzed. We have a running/shoe store here that will watch you run and make shoe recommendations. Having the right shoe for your running style is really important.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Find a good store and get fitted... I just went to a store the specializes in running and they put me in a pair of saucony hurricane 15s and I could not be happier... well if they were half the price I could be happier but it is what it is...
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running store and get fitted. I went to Point2point running, they scanned my feet, they took a video of me running on a treadmill and were able to suggest shoes that fit my running program and style, I have not had a problem since . Also it was FREE:happy: Another Bonus, the shoes were actually less expensive than my regular running shoes!

My boss is a runner and gave me the BEST advice. "You wouldn't put cheap tires on your BMW would you?"
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Everyone is DIFFERENT - you must find your local running shoe store and go get fitted. They will determine which shoe is best for you. You will be AMAZED when you are finally running and exercising in the proper shoes. GO TODAY :smile:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Get Fitted at a local running running store they will fit you properly with the correct shoe. Personally I use new balance 860V3 for my summer shoes and Brooks Ghost GTX (Gortex lined) for my winter.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Here: http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-guide/summer-2013

As for running pain, watch your form. I know it's hard when you are heavier, but try to avoid the 'bouncing' motion when you run. Try to make it more of a glide to avoid impact on your hips, knees and ankles. An alternative is to do a fast walk.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the arch of your foot. Personally I own a pair of addidas running shoes. They were expensive but they are incredibly light, incredibly airey and most importantly they're comfy!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I went to a Fleet Feet store and got fitted after about three weeks of walking - after being pretty sedentary for five years. My feet were killing me. Before I wore the shoes, though, I took them to my podiatrist and he told me to take them back. He said that a mid-range shoe (not too deep in the heel cup nor too low-profile) would be the best one. So I ended up with Saucony Progrid 3 shoes. No more pain. Oh, and I got them a full size larger than my usual shoe size.

Good luck!
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use either Addidas Duramesh or Addidas climacool, Both work great for me. They are light, airy and great fitting, They do not slide in the wet, ( Not tried them on soggy mud ) but on grass they do exactly what they should!
    They work great on pavement just as equally as well on a treadmill
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store. NOT a sporting goods store. A place like Fleet Feet will evaluate your gait and recommend shoes.

I highly recommend Fleet Feet -- if you have one near you. They are a very reputable store and take care of you.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Vibram 5 Fingers has various running shoes for different surfaces. I have these and I absolutely love them. They are designed for rough terrain, such as sharp rocks and gravel and whatnot.

They give me the flexibility and balance of bare feet, with the tough protection of shoes. I can't say enough good about them. I just feel so much in control of my balance when I'm doing activities in them and they grip surfaces extremely well too. I did climbing and jumping around on a jetty on Lake Erie a month back and I've never worn anything on my feet that gripped the rocks so well.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-SpyridonLS-Womans.htm

I have a different style Vibram 5 Finger shoe for gym use.

EDIT: I just wanted to add...I recommend that you do not order these online, if you want to check them out. I'd go to a store that fits you for the right pair, try them on, and walk around the store with them. They have a different way of ensuring that your shoe is a perfect fit for you.
    Also, REI is a great place to purchase items like this, because their return policy is "No questions asked" returns for whatever reason at all, for at least a year after the purchase date.

Oh, LOL...and also, if you decide to try toe shoes, I would not try to go cheaper and get the ones from Fila. They are absolutely not even close to Vibrams in terms of quality and foot feel.
  • WiDale
    WiDale Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also run in FiveFingers and love them. I actually think that they help me protect my joints more as well since I get instant feedback on my running form.

I have several pairs for different uses and wouldn't trade them for anything.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are the one area of weight loss/fitness where we are actually all different.

Go to a running specialty store and get fitted for shoes. You need the right shoes for your feet......not the shoes some stranger on the internet tells you are good.
  • GeorgeBailey13
    GeorgeBailey13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all...I kind of figured I needed to go to a reputable store to fit my shoes. I just didn't know if there was any I should stay away from.
  • jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that you really shouldn't have to "break in" your running shoes. If they aren't comfortable from the start, then they aren't what you need. I agree with the other posters about getting properly fitted at a running store. Make sure it is a running store. Stores like Foot Locker won't be much help and a regular shoe store won't either. I've worn New Balance for about 3 years and thought they were pretty good. I went to 2 different running store and tried a pair of Brooks and now I just started running in Newtons. They cost more than my New Balance but it is definately worth it. I used to think that only "real runners' needed expensive shoes, I guess I've changed my definition of a "real runner". Personally I'd rather pay and extra $50 on shoes than the cost of medical bills later on or the pain from bad shoes.