Makeup

Options
sab53
sab53 Posts: 22 Member
Hey guys! I'm curious about your opinions of makeup on women. So far in my life I've rarely heard a guy say he liked how a woman looks better in makeup. As a female, this has always been hard to believe. I have no problem not wearing makeup in public and choose to do so at my own convenience. I enjoy the art of it, but would say that I go without it about 2/3 of the time. That doesn't change the fact that I believe I look better with a little on, even if only a little bit. So what do you think? Is it all about how it is done and how much? Or no makeup at all?

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It is fine when done well, and is not excessive. Personally, I prefer when women wear none to very little makeup.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my make up but as I am a bit older now I am not as brave as I use to be!! Want a natural look foundation and a nice eyeshadow and I am done! It boosts your confidence to know you look your best! :flowerforyou:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If done well....a guy can't even tell a woman is wearing makeup. It's meant to enhance, not change how you look. I wear foundation, liner, mascara and tinted lipgloss... and *all* the time guys will compliment me and say they love to see a natural woman and how they hate makeup. Okaaaaay! Lol I just smile and say thanks.

But yeah, wearing makeup isn't the issue, it's wearing the wrong type / colours / improper application that makes anyone take notice and not like what they see.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Makeup is worn for other women, not for men. A touch here and there can add a certain appeal, but as a rule, women overdo it. There are, of course, certain exceptions to this (fancy dress occassions, certain special occassions), but on a daily basis, most of the men I have know (myself included) prefer a "less is more" approach.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    on usual work days, i wear just foundation, blush and mascara.
    to be honest, i'm a sales associate and when i wear more makeup to work, i find that customers treat me better.

other than that, on party nights i wear more eye makeup. but i do get more compliments from friends saying that i have a good natural look.

i think if you can pull make up off better than the natural look, then wear makeup
    if you look better natural, then stay natural.
    but it's all up to you and your confidence level aswell.
  • AdriSaysRelax
    Options
    The only place I go without makeup is...MFP. Ha! I put up makeup free photos for the same reason I have my diary open. I think it's super easy to misrepresent yourself/make yourself appear better/hotter/more whatever than you really are on the internet. Taking steps to counter act that effect.

In person, though, I'm with Dragn77. Foundation mixed with moisturizer to even out the skin, curl my lashes to open up the eyes, dust a little gray shadow into the lash line in lieu of mascara, add lip balm and a little blush. Takes 5 mins and makes a WORLD of difference.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Meh... No thanks.. makeup is not for me..lol
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I do makeup because I feel more confidant … I do it for me, not for my husband or anyone else.

My husband often says he likes the "natural look," but I always get compliments from him when I've done my makeup (and rarely when I haven't) :ohwell:

I think a lot of guys may confuse the no makeup look (in reality) with the natural-looking makeup that we see on t.v., in magazines, etc. Also, telling a woman "you look so much better with makeup on" is about as good an idea as telling her "yes, dear, those pants to make your butt look fat," right? :laugh: (there is that implication that without makeup she's not good looking)

ETA: I am by no means trying to say that all women should wear makeup! Do what makes you feel your best/most confident!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    LOVE makeup!

Concealer, powder, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara (my favourite!), blush, lip gloss, I wear it all!

However, it's all or nothing. So, I'm generally without makeup on weekends and full makeup for work during the week. I keep it pretty natural though and I have pics with and without makeup on here and Facebook. I'm fine either way and don't feel it changes the way I look, it just enhances.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I love it. I feel lazy without it but I know I wear way too much. I wear it for me though. I wear it about 30% of the time now because well, I've gotten lazy.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband's grandmother would never compliment me on anything unless I had lipstick on. Then, if she saw me in lipstick, she would say "ooh, your make up looks so nice." Now I never wear make up so I guess it doesn't count. I typically throw on some tinted moisturizer, maybe a touch of eyeliner and some mascara during the week. Weekend means no make up, just moisturizer for me.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Meh... No thanks.. makeup is not for me..lol
    I don't wear makeup; it's too much work. But I have good skin. And natural beauty.

I did, however, go have my makeup done for a date when my ex and I first got back together. He had never seen me wear it. He loved it, but still preferred my natural look.
  • iamthelie
    iamthelie Posts: 19
    Options
    Well for me, as a Makeup Artist, Makeup is a huge deal for me aha. I will not leave the house without makeup on. I don't feel comfortable at all. I feel absolutely disgusting, My parents and maybe 2 of my close friends are the only people who have seen me without makeup. I just can't do it. haa
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm curious about your opinions of makeup on women. So what do you think? Is it all about how it is done and how much? Or no makeup at all?

I prefer absolutely natural, but if they have to put it on, as little as possible.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I spent 10 years of my life as a freelance makeup artist doing weddings etc. Girls always said "their men don't like makeup" but I have learned that most men eye up girls that are wearing it. I just don't think men know that women are wearing it half the time and don't notice if it's done right. The majority of women don't know how to apply makeup properly. I promise you if they saw "stars without makeup" they would become shocked that the "natural pretty star" is actually wearing a LOT. ;)
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I need tinted moisterizer and at least mascara to go some place public. I am so pale, you can see through the skin on my face so a little color helps me look like I am alive. I *could* get that with some sun but I choose not to damage my skin. I need mascara because my eyelashes are blonde even though I am a brunette so it just looks really odd like I have no eyelashes at all without it.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There are times I might just wear foundation and face powder. I do need the foundation to even out my skin tone. Mascara is another must as I have very small very light eye lashes and I want to make it sure that it looks like I have some!!! I keep the colors I use to very light colors (pinks, purples and neutrals) and never do anything heavy or extreme.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    If done well....a guy can't even tell a woman is wearing makeup. It's meant to enhance, not change how you look. I wear foundation, liner, mascara and tinted lipgloss... and *all* the time guys will compliment me and say they love to see a natural woman and how they hate makeup. Okaaaaay! Lol I just smile and say thanks.

But yeah, wearing makeup isn't the issue, it's wearing the wrong type / colours / improper application that makes anyone take notice and not like what they see.

Agreed. And I'm the same. I wear so little most people compliment me and think I just roll out of bed and come as is.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Makeup is all good until you see someone who doesn't know how to apply it and they look like they have layers of cake batter on their face. And really girls, if you have bad acne or large pores with blackheads, avoid caking up. :sick:
  • Ogirl07
    Ogirl07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In my experience guys prefer the "natural" look, but the girls they are talking about being "natural" are really wearing makeup, just doing so tastefully so its not super obvious. They will think you aren't wearing any makeup if done correctly :)