I am getting discouraged! I haven't lost a single pound!

Options
This sucks. I have completely cut out pop, refined sugars and processed food. I am eating about 800-900 calories a day. I do get outside and play with my little guy everyday and go for walks at least 3-4 times a week. I hate how I look. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I completely changed the way I eat. I added more protein rich foods and limit carbs and nothing. I am trying to do something similar to the ideal protein diet but I haven't lost a SINGLE pound. I drink so much water everyday that I can fill a pool.

Can anyone help??

Replies

• Haima
    Haima Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You may need to add more calories? I read that a lot around here. Once they add a few more calories they start losing more. Keep up with the water!!! It will start to come off, you just have to be patient. Hope that helps! Good Luck : )
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can't view your diary but based on what you're saying, you're eating too few calories per day and you're putting your body in 'starvation mode' which slows up your metabolism and makes you hold on to stored fat. You need to increase your caloric intake to at least 1200 calories per day.
  • MrsKiss21
    MrsKiss21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How do I make my diary open?
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    A few questions:

How long have you been at this?
    Are you logging everything you eat?
    What is your CW?
    How much are you trying to lose a week?

The answers could help people answer your question better.
  • MrsKiss21
    Options
    I just started a week ago, so I know it hasn't been long. The only days I didn't log were Saturday and Sunday. We had a wedding and went out to eat twice on Sunday. My current weight is 165 and I want to be down to 120. I really want to lose about 2-3lbs a week.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Men arn't supposed to dip below 1200 cals ..not sure about women tho. Find out what your Basal metabolic rate is or BMR..which basically is a number of cals you burn a day just by living and breathing...after all your body needs energy just to survive. Factor in what you eat and the difference between the two should be 500 or greater..any exercise needs to be factored in as well..but 800 cals a day does seem low and counter productive
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    How do I make my diary open?

Go into 'settings' and click on 'diary settings'.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    800 to 900 calories are less than what my 36 pound 5 year old eats in a day.

Simply put you are eating too few calories.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to go into the myth of "starvation mode" and 800-900 calories you WILL lose weight. It just may not be great in the long run. I would look more into are you counting correctly and weighing food?
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago, so I know it hasn't been long. The only days I didn't log were Saturday and Sunday. We had a wedding and went out to eat twice on Sunday. My current weight is 165 and I want to be down to 120. I really want to lose about 2-3lbs a week.

Seriously? It's been one week and you ate out twice and went to a wedding. I'm sure you had a bit more than 800-900 calories a day. Get serious about dieting and eating less.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I stay between 1000 -1100 calories per day. Everybody is different. Try upping your calories and see if that works.
  • alyssafink676
    Options
    First, that is a lot of weight to loose per week. And only being at it a week, you need to give yourself more time.
    Second, you do need to eat more calories. I once ate less than a thousand calories and this program yelled at me telling me that it would slow down my metabolism if I kept at it. I don't eat less than 1200 now.
    Third, If you are walking and exercising, you could be putting on muscle weight first, then you will see the weight drop after that. the first thing you will notice is a change in your body shape.

I hope this helps, and good luck! It is a slow process, but it works, I have lost 6 pounds now in about 5 weeks. It takes time, but it is worth it.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Start accurately logging EVERYTHING. You're probably eating more than you think.
  • lbuseth
    lbuseth Posts: 41
    Options
    It has only been a week and you may want to increase your calories a little. If your workouts aren't that hard then you won't see a dramatic lose in weight. Keep at it and losing a 1lb every few weeks isn't bad either. Or increase your workouts and what you are doing. Maybe a bike ride or running...Just a suggestion!

Good luck!
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Seriously? It's been one week and you ate out twice and went to a wedding. I'm sure you had a bit more than 800-900 calories a day. Get serious about dieting and eating less.

^ My exact thoughts.
  • MrsKiss21
    Options
    I honestly didn't eat that much at the wedding. They didn't really have anything I was super found of and I don't like cake at all. When we eat it's always the same places and I get usually the same thing each time.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You're not eating enough.

EAT.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

And realize that you are NOT likely to be losing 2 to 3 pounds a week....

You also have to get realistic with your goals.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1) as others have said, 800-900 calories a day is FAR too low. You should go by the calorie goal set by MFP which is never lower than 1200. The calorie goal is a number you should net daily, meaning eat back the earned exercise calories too. With the amount of weight you have to lose, 1 pound per week is a healthy and sustainable goal. Trying to lose more than that will not likely work long term.

While starvation mode is technically a myth, if your body's not getting enough calories coming in to support your activities, it will store fat and attack muscle for energy.

2) You very likely answered your own question with the weekend events. Even if you ate ok and didn't go too far over your calories, restaurant food has TONS of sodium so you're probably retaining water at the very least. Give it a few more days, make sure you keep drinking that water and I bet you'll see a loss soon.