12mos, 46 Pounds Lost, Heavy Lifting Mom (5'8")

Options

Replies

• jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Metacognition.....this ROCKS!!! And probably needs its own thread, it's so good. I love hearing this.
    I'm 98 pounds and can maintain at around 1800 - 1900.
    Wow wow wow! I've been having off days and feeling like there's no way I, a working mom of 2, can ever get to the point of having my dream body. You've totally changed my mind! Great job and thanks so much for posting this!

ks4e, You can totally do it!!! I also work full time (40-50 hrs a week) and have my kids with me at work. It takes some creative scheduling, but with only working out 3x per week it's great. Be efficient with your time, choose compound moves/lifts and work hard. If you don't have a gym, bodyweight will work great too. Off days .... even off weeks..... are normal. You'll get your groove back and keep making progress. :heart:
  • suchastruggle
    suchastruggle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A-MAY-ZING! You are awesome!!!!
  • Mama080412
    Mama080412 Posts: 8
    Options
    Awesome story! Thanks for posting!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    you are my hero!!!! i love your story..thanks for sharing...i was just talking with a friend today about getting into a heavy lifting program!!

you look GREAT!!
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    Lovely! Thanks for sharing. (:
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!!!!
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You go girl!! Woot Woot!!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Awesome :)
  • Jonnad24
    Jonnad24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Fabulous results...the kind of success story I love to hear!
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    You look great!!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Job well done my friend!! U r very inspiring! U look fabulous..I must look up nia shanks
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I said "dayum" out loud when I saw your pics.

Fantastic work, ma'am.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    So, today is my one year anniversary for logging in to MFP. Big deal, right? Not really. I joined back in January 2012 but didn't really get serious until this time last year. The logging streak is nothing more than taking the few seconds to click on MFP to get credit for the day, not an indicator of awesomeness, commitment or lifestyle change. However, it's a milestone so here ya go!!

12MosHardWork_zpsf93bcf7e.jpg

Did I track food for all 365 days? No. Did I stay within my calories goals for all 365 days? No. In fact, I had two separate month-long hiatuses. Did I stick to my workout plan for all 365 days? No. Did I give up my large weekly pizza? No. Stop enjoying wine on the weekends? No.

Okay, so what did I do?

I got educated! Educated on BMR, TDEE, body fat vs BMI, my own body. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet . The Roadmap (IPOARM) started it all for me.

I found an awesome group of like-minded and goal oriented individuals on MFP. I feel accountability to these folks on both my workouts and health lifestyle choices.

I started lifting heavy weight and eating 2,000 a day is my sweet spot for fat loss. Yes, I eat a minumum of 2,000 calories a day, usually 2,200.

I cut back on cardio.....drastically. I went from one hour of cardio 6x per week to lifting weights 3x per week and following that with a brief HIIT session. It used to be about 10 minutes, and now I'm only doing 4 minutes of Tabata after lifting. So, I do 12 minutes of intentional cardio per week. And I enjoy all of my free time!!

ETA: I'm doing Nia Shanks' Beautiful Badass lifting program, Double Progression. Anything by Nia ROCKS!!! I prefer her programs over any others out there, but it is personal preference. http://www.niashanks.com/shop/category/complete-guides-manuals/

I am active with two small kids. I walk at least 10k steps per day which brings my TDEE to around 2,500 according to my FitBit Flex.

I no longer keep a food diary, but I do loosely track my calories. I use the quick add feature to put my meals. I found that I still need some accountability, and this seems to be working well.

Here's what you came here for....even more pictures!

StreetClothes_zpsafa99d46.jpg

June 2012 was my first ever stomach/midsection shot. I was mortified, but motivated more than ever.
    FrontOneYear_zpsebcb14dd.jpg

SideOneYear_zps73d28bd1.jpg

And just for fun......

PhotoCrop_2013-04-15_01-00-54-PM_zpsc69c2ce0.jpg

This is me celebrating my 34th birthday after an awesome workout.
    34Collage_zps3ebb6f12.jpg

I was about 240 pre-MFP, weighed 233 on the day I joined and about 210 in May 2012. For reference, I'm 5'8 and weighed in at 163.5 this morning. I'm around 24% body fat according to online measuring calculators and the handheld thingy. Calipers consistently measure a few % less, but that's just details. I was obese most of my life and abused my body with food and alcohol. I now have stretch marks and loose stretched skin. I'm hoping that it will get better with more time, more lifting and possibly more fat loss. Current stats are for reps....Bench Press 100#, Squat 120#, DL 180#. So yes, I lift "heavy", for me anyway.

I'm certainly grateful for the strong, healthy body I have now!!

This right here is exactly what I needed to see today. You are awesome and a true inspiration to me.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Amazing work. You look great.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Congrats!!! Love your story and how you made a complete life style change instead of a diet!!! Keep up the great work!!!
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You are my inspiration. Im about your height. <3 great job:)
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Right on! Way to go!
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump for continued inspiration.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Yeh INSPIRATION !!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!