The neverending plateau...help!

Options
2»

Replies

• maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    Take a complete break from all this bull**** with a little moderation with little exercise and i promise u will break it. Sometime we become so obsessed with weight loss we get to anal and stop loosing because we cant let loose to lose if that make sense:)
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do a juice cleanse/fast for five days when I feel like I need to "reset". I don't know your medical history, so I don't want to recommend something that may not be right for you, but it works really well for me. Cleans out the toxins and reminds my body to keep working. Good luck!

Wow, I've been stuck on a plateau and I'm totally interested in this -- Would you be willing to send me a message telling me about this juice cleanse/fast?

Um it's not the brightest idea. I went to go review your last forums posts in your profile because you looked very familiar. I thought you posted before that you where in a plateau or something. Well you say you're 1,200 calories a day. Read above what I wrote... Bodyweight * 10 = minimum calories to consume, you're eating way to few calories, that's why you're in a plateau. Yet you want to slow down your metabolism even more by juice fasting??? As I said not the brightest idea.

Ok, so I should really be eating 1450ish calories a day. Should I be eating back the calories that I work off while working out as well?

I don't know your stats, Go here and fill it out. http://physiquelore.com/harris-benedict/

It will say something like "you need x amount of calories to maintain your weight." multiply that number by 0.80 and eat that many calories a day(this method you don't eat back your exercise calories.)

Do you eat that many calories regardless if its exersise day or not? or just that many on days you exercise? Right now I'm averaging around 1300-1400 per day (net) and I lift 3 days per week and try to do 1-2 days of cardio per week as well... I eat more on the days I exercise and less on the days I don't but always netting the same...
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Starving people in poor nations aren't fat because they don't have access to the food that we do. If we starve ourselves for a while our metabolism slows down and then go back to eating like a normal person (even a healthy normal person) we're not going to burn off the calories like we should. A real starving person is never going to have the option to eat even remotely like we do so that's why they stay thin. Why is this so hard to understand?
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Starving people in poor nations aren't fat because they don't have access to the food that we do. If we starve ourselves for a while our metabolism slows down and then go back to eating like a normal person (even a healthy normal person) we're not going to burn off the calories like we should. A real starving person is never going to have the option to eat even remotely like we do so that's why they stay thin. Why is this so hard to understand?

I don't think you understand. Those starving people have very little muscle mass and a higher percentage of body fat. I was really sick for months, I could barely eat 300 calories a day if that. I lost 25lbs in 3 weeks of muscle 6lbs of fat. Over the course of my illness I lost I believe 40lbs of muscle.

There are 3 phases

1. Moderate calorie deficit (fat loss)
    2. Severe Calorie deficit(stall out possibly some muscle mass loss)
    3. Starvation (muscle mass loss and some fat)

When people talk about stall outs they're talking about phase 2 usually. you're talking about stage 3.

Maybe I misunderstand, but the one person posted that starving people are never fat. When I think of starving people I think of the pictures of people who are skin and bones and don't look like they have barely any fat or muscle.

I should have quoted the information I was referring to... the one saying there is no such thing as a starvation phase and that you can't damage your metabolism.

I can't imagine losing that much weight in that way. I'm sure it was very hard to recover like that, I hope you're doing much better : )
  • pomeraniamania
    Options
    I'm sorry, but it the metabolism thing is a myth. You will not destroy your metabolism by restricting calories. You can, however, alter your hormones with the food you eat, and that may make it more difficult to lose weight. If you eat plants, grains, and legumes, you are eating high fiber, nutrient dense food that are naturally low in calories, making a 1200 calorie a day diet very simple.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman is on Facebook and can explain this much better than I, as I am not a medical doctor. If you are interested, he is very friendly and approachable.

Here are two articles I found explaining the misconception, one from Dr. Jeff Novick (another good source of info and on Facebook), and the other from Weight Watchers.

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    I know this sounds weird but there have been times where my loss slowed down and then I had a junk day where I ate significantly more calories than I usually did-I was told that if you shock your system one day it sometimes helps you get over a hump.

This actual helps me too. I'll stop running (and only walk) and up my calories by a few hundred calories for a day or two. It seems to "reset" my body.