Weight Loss on Metformin?

Options
I found a topic on this from 2010, but that was three years ago obviously so I figured I would make a fresh one...I am about 290 lbs and am getting a little frustrated/desperate. For two and a half months now I have been working with a personal trainer 3x's a week and walking 20-30 mins two other days per week. I have gone from eating fast food almost every single day to snacking on raw almonds, baby carrots, and Greek yogurt. The turn around in my diet has taken more willpower than I thought possible. I am eating around 1800 calories a day in lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains. I measure everything I eat and track my calories. I also consume at LEAST 64 oz of water a day, but I'm trying to up that. I have yet to lose a single pound, and my measurements have not changed even an eighth of an inch. I am getting REALLY confused and desperate at this point. I was prescribed metformin several months ago by my endocrinologist because he suspected insulin resistance, however it really messes with my stomach. I am considering biting the bullet and starting to take it again, though, if it will help in any way with my weight loss. I don't know what else to do. I am literally out of ideas. Help, please? Anyone have any experiences with this drug, or have any clue why I am not losing anything? Thanks!!!

-Kati

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Metformin helps some people with weight loss - it helped me. How long did you take metformin before stopping? A lot of people have gastric issues when first taking Metformin, but this goes away after a couple of weeks. I would get back with your doctor and start back on Metformin. You need to get your IR in check before it develops into full blown Type 2 diabetes, that's not good.
  • katihowell5
    Options
    I took it about a week - I didn't realize the symptoms would go away, that's good to know. I am starting back on the metformin and we'll see how it goes! Thanks :)
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin for type 2 diabetes. It will make my stomach upset once in awhile, but most of the time I'm fine. When I started Metformin years ago, I gained weight. My doctor wasn't too happy about this, but I wasn't really trying to lose weight either. Since I really started working to lose weight though, I've lost 34 pounds.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I take metformin because I have pcos. It has helped immensely, not just with weight loss but with my hormone problems. I feel like a woman again.

The first 2 weeks were horrible with the stomach problems. But since then I haven't had any problems at all. I've heard about a metformin extended release that might help with that if it's really an issue for you.

Have you taken your measurements? Maybe you've lost there. How do you feel inside? For me how I feel is more important than the number on the scale.

I hope you keep at it, I'm sure you'll start to see results soon. Add me if you want :)
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Let your doctor know if you continue to have issues with the metformin. There are other medications available that can help with insulin resistance. I was on it for a while a long time ago and it physically made me sick to my stomach. My doctor switched me to another medication that has worked much better for me.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i started with 500 mg doses for 2 weeks then up to 1000 for 2 weeks till i got to my descriped dose of 2000 i had problems going from 1500 to 2000 but after 2 weeks they finally completely gone so start slow the symptoms will get better and also HIIT also increases how your body absorbs insulin
  • Kellyerin1217
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. A year ago the Doctor wanted me to take Metformin, but I took if for 2 days and felt awful. Said the heck with that and stopped taking them (of course I immediately informed my physician).

April 23/24 of this year is when I decided it is time to lose the weight and get fit and healthy. I saw my physician a week ago and told her it was time to try the Metformin again. She agreed because she told me while I would lose weight without it, the problem is I have a medical condition and that needs to be tended to; therefore, taking Metformin would help me actually lose the weight and assist me.

While I was extremely nervous (it made me so sick last time I took it), I decided if I am sick for a week, oh well, I will push through it and, in the end, I will be correctly something my body needs correcting. I started on 1 pill last week and, to my surprised, had NO issues whatsoever! I just upped to 2 pills a day (yesterday) and, again, my body is not fighting it and I am doing great. In 5 more days I will up to my last dose (3 pills a day) and I hope my body will still react okay to it.

My advice is to talk with your doctor again and if you want to give it another try, do it. I’d recommend the extended release version (less harsh on your stomach) and taper up to give your body time to adjust to it. Make sure you take it with food and be aware of your carb intake (eating healthy carbs). You might be surprised that this time you’ll be okay with it.
    20072013 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Metformin makes me feel horrible, I had horrible stomach issues. I was also taking it for PCOS. I did lose about 7 pounds while taking it but I would credit most of that weight loss to the stomach issues. One thing that helped me with losing weight with PCOS/ thyroid issues and isulin resistance was eating a low glycemic index diet. I also exercised a lot and frequently. Even for just a quick 10 minute walk in the morning or after lunch, any activity will help your body process sugars. I really like tracking my food intake with MFP because it does show sugar intake, I am working to not go over that number each day and it is tough. Keep at it and dont give up. I lost 35 pounds a few years ago it took me awhile but I did it, it is so tough to do when you experience hormonal issues as well.
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been taking metformin 500mg 2xs day. Lost weight but exercise has alot to do with it. You have to move your body to lose weight. it can help with weightloss . Eat a small carb before taking the pill. If you are not hungry drink some milk. I had body aches my first 2 weeks while taking the pills but now I have no problems. Your body will get use to the pills. It's better to take the pills then going on insulin later in life! I have been trying to Cure my diabetes . But been lazy these last couple weeks. It's hard to keep up with diet and exercise . Just do it one day at a time. I've screwed up on my diet but am back on it again today. I use to think oh monday I will start over but hell there's a lot of mondays .. lol Good luck!
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We are all different and it is best to seek the advice from your doctor. With that being said, my doctor put me on metformin as well as several other medications and a strong talking to about my healthy and heading down an unhealthy path. I took them on and off for a short while, but not faithfully. I have been off of them a year and didn't see my doctor during this time period either. I recently took my health seriously and started watching what I eat, lost a few pounds but didn't even think about taking these medications. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't want a life of popping pills. Don't get me wrong, I understand for some people it is a neccessary to stay alive. Its just not something I want to deal with. So I recently went back to the doctor, confessed I haven't taken the medication for a year. She immediately ordered blood work. When I followed up, to her and my surprise....my blood work all come back perfect. She said she couldn't believe it and said she was really worried. She said whatever I am doing to keep it up, I go back in 2 more months to recheck everything again. The only medication I take is an allergy pill....I'm thankful!
  • cmalmasy
    cmalmasy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin as well for PCOS/insulin resistance. I know what you are going through-I am right there with you!! Hang in there, keep on changing your lifestyle, and the weight WILL begin to come off. I have about 30 pounds to lose from a pregnancy, and in the last three months have really started to change my food choices and carved out the time to exercise daily. I did the same thing and thought for sure the weight would come off if I was making these changes, but it took three months for me to lose three pounds- just three pounds!! I was getting so frustrated but I stuck with it, continued exercising, continued eating healthy (for the most part), and continued taking Metformin. Just in the last two weeks has the weight started to come off and I've noticed a significant change in my clothes. You can do it!! I remember just last month feeling like this isn't fair and wanting to give up because I wasn't seeing any results, but for some of us with real hormonal issues it just takes time. I've since been back to my doctor and am awaiting further test results to rule out other thyroid issues going on. I think though that it just takes time.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The drug helps shuttle nutrients into muscle instead of fat. It is a great drug. And at your weir you should be drinking way more water, 64oz is enough for a 120lb woman