Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lunchbreak Workout- I think boss is getting annoyed

I never used to take lunch breaks and I think this created unreasonable expectations in my boss. I'm not hourly or scheduled for lunch breaks so it especially should not matter that I'm gone for 60-65 mins at lunch. I'm a manager- he's a higher manager.

Lately I notice him clearly watching for me when I come back and then he acts all huffy like I've taken a 3 hour lunch. I've worked with this guy for 5 years with no problem, but he's a workaholic and expects everyone else to be too. I'm really getting pissed! I have three hours of commuting per day and a 2 year old, so it's really lunch breaks or nothing. If he ends up telling me to quit I am going to be so royally angry. This is mostly just a vent but if anyone has advice I'll take it.

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Talk to him and ask if there is a problem with what you are doing
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Sometimes our perceptions are skewed based on how we feel. If you went from no lunch break to 1 hour+, he may be surprised, or you may be feeling guilty. If you think it is creating a conflict you can tell him what you are doing. If he is a decent manager he will support it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Are you putting in your 40 (or however many) hours a week, even though you are working out on your lunch break? If so, I'd say talk to him and ask him if there is a problem with your working out on your lunch. I have a supervisor just like your boss. She thinks that she works longer and harder than anyone else and the rest of the employees are slackers. Her boss had to have a talk with her and tell her to ease up. We are all working our required hours and then some, just because we don't stay until 8 PM 3 times a week doesn't mean that we aren't doing our jobs.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Talk to him...tell him you're doing it because it makes you more productive and alert in the afternoon.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Next time he acts up, ask him straight up, "Is there a problem?" He's probably going to wuss out and say "No, of course not!" Repeat regularly until he finally comes out and says that you shouldn't be taking lunch breaks, then tell him that, as an employee, you have just as much a right to lunch as anyone else. If his behavior continues, report him to whoever his manager is, or to a helpline, if your workplace has one.

There is no reason for you not to get a lunch.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    By law, after a certain number of hours, your boss must allow you to have a lunch break.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I never used to take lunch breaks and I think this created unreasonable expectations in my boss. I'm not hourly or scheduled for lunch breaks so it especially should not matter that I'm gone for 60-65 mins at lunch. I'm a manager- he's a higher manager.

Lately I notice him clearly watching for me when I come back and then he acts all huffy like I've taken a 3 hour lunch. I've worked with this guy for 5 years with no problem, but he's a workaholic and expects everyone else to be too. I'm really getting pissed! I have three hours of commuting per day and a 2 year old, so it's really lunch breaks or nothing. If he ends up telling me to quit I am going to be so royally angry. This is mostly just a vent but if anyone has advice I'll take it.

I know how you feel. I work 9.5 hours a day, no breaks, no lunch, no overtime, and my bosses get mad when I get up to walk around once an hour because I am prone to blood clots.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Oh yes, I'm def still working over 40 hours!

I think my guilt may be playing a role in this but I've also noticed something different with him for sure.

I'm somewhat afraid to bring it up because I don't want him to tell me to stop... :(
  • missshyeviolett
    Talk to him...tell him you're doing it because it makes you more productive and alert in the afternoon.

Ohhh. I like this.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    YOu can explain to him that lunch is the only time you can get workout and ur trying to get healthy for your kid.More than likely he will understand or suggest a workaround.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    You deserve a break - a lunch break. Actually, it may even be a law.
    Having kids and a 3-hr commute doesn't matter. As a salaried employee what counts is getting your work done and, depending on the company and your specific job, your time in the office may or may not even count. I agree that he may have some unreasonable expectations, but taking a 1-hr lunch break is not unreasonable. Take your lunch break!
  • you don't know what he's going to say until you ask. You need to ask and be very honest with him. Most managers will calm down.
  • MeAnTtOBeThIn
    MeAnTtOBeThIn Posts: 22 Member
    I also am a salaried person, and I agree with you. They think that means you should not have a work/life balance like the hourly employees. Thankfully my manager is offsite and my coworkers find I'm a much more pleasant person after my afternoon walk...so they push me out the door :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    You started this without telling him? I used to work out at lunch, too, but I talked to my supervisor first. I think that's the way any changes in your schedule is supposed to be handled.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    First of all, I believe it is required by law to give employees breaks. Kindly remind him of his statutory obligations if needed. Or you know, a nice threat of a harassment complaint should keep him in check if he doesn't behave.
  • missshyeviolett
    Thanks all. I know I need to talk to him. He's just intimidating and old school. You're all right though, I'm allowed this time by law- if I tried to limit lunch breaks for the people under me I'd be in serious trouble.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    You're an adult, he's an adult. Act like an adult and talk to him.
  • MeAnTtOBeThIn
    MeAnTtOBeThIn Posts: 22 Member
    I agree, even salaried employees, most states have the law about allowing breaks based on hours worked :)
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member

I would talk to your boss reasonably. But that much said, your health, physical, and mental well-being come before any job.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    As much as you'd like the 1+ hr break, maybe if you think that length is bothering him, aim for alittle less? I get a 1hr lunch, I only aim for 30min walks or rides, that way I have time to get back and cool down, clean-up and/or eat something before I need to get back to work.

Hope you can figure something out.