Why do people differentiate between calories??

Options
2»

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Some people will differentiate between the two so they realize that when they don't exercise they may not have those extra 800 calories to eat. And also like someone said here that it's not one size fits all. Every person is different every person loses weight differently and different types of calories affect each person differently. So you find what works for you and you do that regardless of what works for other people.
  • jmoliveson
    jmoliveson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    June 19, 2013 10:58 am

Many folks on MFP have an unhealthy relationship with food, whether battling obesity or, at the other end of the spectrum, an eating disorder. This influences how they perceive calories and exercise.

I agree with you on this because I have never counted calories or dieted and had no problem losing weight with just working out and eating healthy. I also occasionally fasted which did wonders to my body and almost made me feel instantly thinner. The saying that you are what you eat is soo true because the moment you abstain from these things your body responds. While I do understand people say it is unhealthy to fast, when your body is so overloaded with excess fat, fasting for a morning won't kill you.

The reason I never went on a diet before is because to me it is just finding another way to obsess about food. I am glad to have joined this site and love how everyone eats healthy, but I wonder if I will end up scarred by obsessing with my calorie intake.
    In the past I have lost over 50 pounds after each of my four kids and I did it with a lot of exercise and regular, smart portions of food which is why I have decided not to eat back the calories I earn from exercising because I want to see results now and not later. I am glad though to be on this site because everyone's helping me learn to eat healthier which is extremely valuable. Thanks for asking this great question because you allowed me to understand it more.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    to think 250 calories of broccoli is the same as 250 calories of soda is stupid. Not all calories are created equal. No one who is lean, fit, and healthy will tell you otherwise.

try reading the actual content and not just the title
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So MFP gives me about 1270 or so to eat per day but I exercise A LOT...sometimes 800 calories worth so I end up eating about maybe 1700 in total per day.
    I have seen that on here some people differentiate between exercise calories and the regular calories base allowed by MFP...but aren't they all the same?
    Some folks say that they don't eat back "exercise calories"! If I did that with how much I exercise and only ate about 1270 per day, I would drop dead from fatigue. I eat to be healthy and strong...not fainting ;)
    Am I right?

You're right, but you should still eat a bit more!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So MFP gives me about 1270 or so to eat per day but I exercise A LOT...sometimes 800 calories worth so I end up eating about maybe 1700 in total per day.
    I have seen that on here some people differentiate between exercise calories and the regular calories base allowed by MFP...but aren't they all the same?
    Some folks say that they don't eat back "exercise calories"! If I did that with how much I exercise and only ate about 1270 per day, I would drop dead from fatigue. I eat to be healthy and strong...not fainting ;)
    Am I right?

You're right, but you should still eat a bit more!

YEAH!!! That's what I like to hear :) Extra helping of delicious lentil stew with millet :) I love my food!!!!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A lot of people; 1) don't understand that their calorie goal is a deficit of maintenance...they think it is maintenance and that they need to do a lot of exercise to create a deficit; 2.) they don't understand that MFP is a NEAT method calculator...thus, exercise is extra activity; 3) a lot of people have had it beat into their heads that to lose weight they have to eat like a little birdie; 4) a lot of people are obsessed with FAST weight loss rather than SAFE and HEALTHY...not to mention sustainable weight loss; 5) people just don't research how to properly use a tool...they just dive in and think they know what the **** they're doing.

All true imo too....I want to be strong..I want to be healthy and to have boundless energy and also to enjoy delicious and healthy foods :)
    It is also more important to me to be healthy for life rather than lose inches fast.

That right there answers your question. You want to be strong, healthy, and feel great. If the way you feel day to day is more important to you than the number on the scale or the tape measure, then that is what you go by. Do what feels better. Having said that, continue to monitor yourself and how you feel, and if you notice weight gain you will have to readjust. I lost 18 lbs (low: 145) in 5 months eating under 1450 (net) and I was weak and tired. In 7 months of heavy lifting I only gained 7 lbs back (high: 152) eating 1850 (net). Following that I dropped to 1650 and I am already losing faster than I did the first time. In 2 months I have lost 4 pounds. Clearly my system is achieving my goals in a way that I can sustain, only because I feel healthy. I hope to slowly get down to 135-140. People vary more in their intent than their physiology.

Do what achieves the goals you want to achieve. I'm also going to add you because I like having friends who want to enjoy food, be strong, and feel healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back exercise calories because I try to balance exercise with off-diary late night snacking. So far, the balance is pretty good. I'm trying to increase exercise while decreasing snacking. If I succeed, I may start eating back some exercise.

If you're offsetting your exercise calories with late night snacking...that is eating back exercise calories...you're just not logging it.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back exercise calories because I try to balance exercise with off-diary late night snacking. So far, the balance is pretty good. I'm trying to increase exercise while decreasing snacking. If I succeed, I may start eating back some exercise.

If you're offsetting your exercise calories with late night snacking...that is eating back exercise calories...you're just not logging it.

Hahaha! that's what I was thinking ;)
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A lot of people; 1) don't understand that their calorie goal is a deficit of maintenance...they think it is maintenance and that they need to do a lot of exercise to create a deficit; 2.) they don't understand that MFP is a NEAT method calculator...thus, exercise is extra activity; 3) a lot of people have had it beat into their heads that to lose weight they have to eat like a little birdie; 4) a lot of people are obsessed with FAST weight loss rather than SAFE and HEALTHY...not to mention sustainable weight loss; 5) people just don't research how to properly use a tool...they just dive in and think they know what the **** they're doing.

THIS
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Am I right?

For you, yes. For everyone, no.

I don't always eat back my exercise calories, depending on how I feel and knowing what my body needs to keep humming along. Sometimes I eat ALL of the exercise calories back and then some cuz I am hungry.

So yeah. You can talk about safe and healthy, etc, but it will vary a bit for each person and their goals.

Don't even get started on the caloric efficiency of foods too.