BMR and losing weight?

Ok, so basically I used to eat around 1,200 - 1,300 calories a day. I then plateaued just under a month ago and I'm now eating my bmr, but when I exercise I'll burn around 300 calories, and my bmr is 1559, so does that mean when I don't exercise I should be eating less than my bmr in order to lose weight? Someone please help me!

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    You probably used an online calculator to get your BMR. It may be wrong. That is pretty high. MFP said mine was 1500. I got it tested at the hospital and it was actually 800.

You might want to get it professional tested.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    As an answer to your question... you should never go below BMR with or without exercise. BMR is the amount of food your body needs to live if you were in a coma. Keep in mind, you are moving around....so you want to stay somewhere between BMR and TDEE. I try several online calculators and use the average as my baseline.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the calories needed if you were in a coma ..... so yes, should eat your BMR + exercise calories minimum.

Using your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) should include exercise (so you would not need to log exercise separately).... THIS is the number you need to eat below to lose weight.....so less than TDEE & more than BMR.

MFP (is a different method) it factors in a deficit BEFORE exercise ....so you eat 1200 caloires (at least) PLUS exercise calories.

As the previous poster stated .... the on-line BMR number could be too high ..... your exercise calories could be too high also. Since you are at a plateau .... you need to shake something up..... try increase your eating by 100 calories ....or do a different exercise routine. No exact solution.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the calories needed if you were in a coma

Actually it's measured with you resting lying down in subdued lighting in a clinic after an overnight stay and fast.

This "coma" nonsense is emotive bilge.
  • theindl
    theindl Posts: 5 Member
    I am working with a nutritionist who mapped out to eat 500 less than my BMR daily PLUS the additional exercise weekly will provide me the 1.5 pound weight loss each week. If you eat your BMR PLUS your exercise, you are only maintaining your body weight, not losing. There needs to be a deficit in calorie intake to lose the fat while maintaining lean body mass by eating the right foods and exercising.

BMR=1700, Consume 1200 calories = 500 x 7 = 3500 calories or 1 pound a week deficit
    PLUS 5 days/week of cardio burning about 350 calories each session = 1750 calories or 1/2 pound a week deficit
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I am working with a nutritionist who mapped out to eat 500 less than my BMR daily PLUS the additional exercise weekly will provide me the 1.5 pound weight loss each week. If you eat your BMR PLUS your exercise, you are only maintaining your body weight, not losing. There needs to be a deficit in calorie intake to lose the fat while maintaining lean body mass by eating the right foods and exercising.

BMR=1700, Consume 1200 calories = 500 x 7 = 3500 calories or 1 pound a week deficit
    PLUS 5 days/week of cardio burning about 350 calories each session = 1750 calories or 1/2 pound a week deficit

Umm ....maybe this is ok for you (depending upon how much weight you have to lose) ..... however,

Even sedentary people use calories ...... so BMR plus exercise does not add up to TDEE. People who have active jobs (postal carriers for example) certainly wouldn't just maintain their weight by eating BMR & cardio workout calories.

Your TDEE is the calories needed to maintain weight ...... so TDEE less 750 should be = 1.5 pounds lost per week.

But (obese people can go on very lower calorie diets) and maybe not lose much muscle mass. For the rest of us ........too large a calorie deficit PROMOTES muscle loss. Eating the right foods is a good start ..... but you have to eat enough of them (to matter). Cardio burns calories, strength training preserves muscle mass. There is a difference between healthy weight loss and fast weight loss.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    TDEE and BMR levels vary so much, depending on activity, age, weight, height, job etc. But if you are using the TDEE -20% method then your activity level is already included. I seriously doubt that everyone would have a BMR of 800 cals, because if that were the case I'm pretty sure EVERYONE would be seriously over weight. Secondly, I doubt that the calculators we've all used (an been successful with) would give us an estimate that is double. So eating just BMR + Intentional exercise would not make you maintain, because what about the cals you use cleaning, walking around, performing daily activities? That would still be a deficit.

I only have one problem with this method....I'm having problems figuring out what "activity level" I am. I usually use the "moderate" setting. And I'll tell you why. I'm a server who works 6 shifts a week for 5-8 hrs each shift. I'm walking the entire time and a good portion of the time I'm running around like a chicken with my head chopped off. I'm 27, 5"6.5, 168 pounds. I also workout 30 mins 5-6 times a week either doing Insanity of Focus T25. Even at home I'm usually quite active doing cleaning or laundry and such. Soooo would I be moderate or heavy level?

I've gotten anywhere from 2450-2700 as my TDEE, I usually just choose the lowest and stay under it. (1700-1900 cals usually net). I've been successful thus far but just wondering if I'm using the right level?