Lady interested in lifting heavy

Options
I have heard of so many amazing results from lifting. I have no idea what I am doing or where to start. I'd like to be able to do something from my home and I'm not opposed to purchasing equipment/weights.

Does anyone have recommendations for a website or book for me to purchase to help push me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Replies

• gem0303
    gem0303 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's some books and routines to get you started. Note- I haven't read or done any of these specifically, but they are commonly suggested for lady lifters who are just getting started.

Starting Strength
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367624068&sr=1-1&keywords=starting+strength

The New Rules of Lifting for Women
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398

Stronglifts
    http://stronglifts.com/
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5 x 5 :)
    www.stronglifts.com
    takes about 45 min 3 days per week and requires no other exercise :)

The workout from start to finish:
    workout A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EP2g3Sj3qSw
    Workout B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU

c343266bd7a73284cd984059433483fc.jpg

stronglifts.jpg

35255eaa0f2b2a0ab0d71bea2a02c93e.jpg
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ^^NUFF SAID^^
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer (available on www.bodybuilding.com). It's a full on program for beginners, and is totally free.

I'd also add to check out Brett Contreras, Nia Shanks and Joy Victoria.
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Options
    stronglifts 5 x 5 :)
    www.stronglifts.com
    takes about 45 min 3 days per week and requires no other exercise :)

The workout from start to finish:
    workout A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EP2g3Sj3qSw
    Workout B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU

c343266bd7a73284cd984059433483fc.jpg

stronglifts.jpg

35255eaa0f2b2a0ab0d71bea2a02c93e.jpg

Nice one... Like this
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm doing sronglifts, I really like it. I love going to the gym now, before it was a chore. I hate cardio, but found out I LOVE lifting:) I just got the new rules of weightlifting for women book, I can't wait to read it! Good luck!
  • THE_DOCTORSWIFE
    THE_DOCTORSWIFE Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump* to look at later*
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Making a note so I can find this later. Great topic!
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have also been thinking about starting the LiveFit program.
  • Cockney365
    Cockney365 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been doing Jaime Easson's 20-39 Fat Loss Workout on bodybuilding.com and it's been going well, but takes longer than SL5x5. What I like about the JE plan is that it seems to cover the whole body across the three days (plus cardio on lifting days, and none lifting days). Just a quick question, I am looking to lower body fat (currently around 30%) gain some lean muscle and generally tone up (yes I know... no such thing as toning etc, but you know what I mean, just not look too muscly - somewhere between Beyonce and Serena WIlliams will do!). I'm just concerned that SL5x5 doesn't have very many exercises - does this hit every/most muscle groups?

If anyone has any ideas/advice -such as should I be adding in any extra exercises - please let me know
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm just concerned that SL5x5 doesn't have very many exercises - does this hit every/most muscle groups?

It sure does. This is one reason compound lifts are so great.
  • Cockney365
    Cockney365 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yeah the JE plan has compound lifts in but, but also has others on the same day. For example, today was lower body day, which, after I'd edited it, was

* barbell squats
    * straight legged deadlifts
    * leg press
    * leg curl
    * leg extensions
    * Bulgarian split squats (i added these instead of the jump squat)
    * Seated calf raise

Plus 20 minutes on the treadmill. So I suppose the leg press, extensions, curls and split squats can be covered by the squat and deadlifts, but I just feel like I am not doing enough! Also, upper body is

* push ups
    * side lat raises
    * dumbbell bench press
    * tricep kickbacks
    * seated cable rows
    * alternate hammer curls
    * back extensions
    * air bike

plus 20 minutes on the treadmill. That's a good upper body workout but SL5x5 doesn't have as much upper body focus does it?

Don't get me wrong I am more than happy to do less time in the gym if I am still getting the same benefits, I just want to make sure I really AM getting the same benefits and not cheating myself. Also, odd as this sounds, I am not aiming to get super strong. I don't mean I don't want to BE stronger, I just mean my main aim is to look smaller by reducing bodyfat. I suppose the idea of this programme initially was to be able to lift really heavy weights as soon as possible (I've read parts of the website). Again, just wondering if adding 5lb every workout is necessary if I don't actually want to squat 500kg in two weeks? I probably sound like I should just do a different programme but I honestly don't know what to do!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yeah the JE plan has compound lifts in but, but also has others on the same day. For example, today was lower body day, which, after I'd edited it, was

* barbell squats
    * straight legged deadlifts
    * leg press
    * leg curl
    * leg extensions
    * Bulgarian split squats (i added these instead of the jump squat)
    * Seated calf raise

Plus 20 minutes on the treadmill. So I suppose the leg press, extensions, curls and split squats can be covered by the squat and deadlifts, but I just feel like I am not doing enough! Also, upper body is

* push ups
    * side lat raises
    * dumbbell bench press
    * tricep kickbacks
    * seated cable rows
    * alternate hammer curls
    * back extensions
    * air bike

plus 20 minutes on the treadmill. That's a good upper body workout but SL5x5 doesn't have as much upper body focus does it?

Don't get me wrong I am more than happy to do less time in the gym if I am still getting the same benefits, I just want to make sure I really AM getting the same benefits and not cheating myself. Also, odd as this sounds, I am not aiming to get super strong. I don't mean I don't want to BE stronger, I just mean my main aim is to look smaller by reducing bodyfat. I suppose the idea of this programme initially was to be able to lift really heavy weights as soon as possible (I've read parts of the website). Again, just wondering if adding 5lb every workout is necessary if I don't actually want to squat 500kg in two weeks? I probably sound like I should just do a different programme but I honestly don't know what to do!

When i do my SL, i add some accessory work in there. Like yesterday it was my Squat/OHP/DL day, so i added in some pull-ups and calf raises (didn't need to, but ehh) then tomorrow will be Squat/bench/Row day, and i will add barbell hip thrusts and possibly turkish get ups.